Footrest won't reattach to frame

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1990 Suzuki Intruder 750

Footrest won't reattach to frame

Post by Hadrian »

Hello All,

I made the mistake of taking out the bolts on the footrest while the bike was on its sidestand as I thought the footrest was two separate pieces. I was doing this for a clutch plate job and needed to remove the foot rest on the right side to get the exhaust pipe out of the way. Now when I attempt to reattach the footrest the eight holes no longer line up under the bike. I can line up the left four or I can line up the right four but in either case all eight will not line up even if one side is left very loose.

I do not know if the footrest itself bent out of place or if one of or both of the frame mounts bent?

All I can think of at this point is to take the whole thing off and cut it in half so that all four holes on each side are independent and will align, I've no idea why they designed it as one piece to begin with. Perhaps there is a structural reason having to do with the bikes frame?

Any thoughts on solutions is appreciated. Thank you.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Footrest won't reattach to frame

Post by Designer »

Do I take it that you had the Bike resting on the Kick Stand, leaning over, with the Bolts loose? Are the Bolt Threads okay and Bolts not Bent?

I'd say if anything is bent,...it is the Frame-to-Footrest Bracket Mounting Points that is out-of-alignment.

Do you see any Cracked Paint at those points ?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hadrian »

You are correct that the bike was leaning on the stand while taking the bolts loose, the bolts do not appear to be bent and all of them do go back into their hole independently.

I was wondering the same thing about the frame piece being the bent piece as the footrest bracket appears to be incredibly solid. I will check for cracked paint tonight.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

My bet is you twisted the bolts a little and it is making the other side out of wack. The chances of bending the footrest itself is limited.

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hadrian »

Yes the footrest is very thick for a bending solution. I am thinking at this point I may need to simply cut the footrest in half so that each side can be manipulated easily in place.

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hadrian »

When the footrest is fully removed and I hold it up under the bike it appears the four holes on either side line up but all eight will not line up together, so Im not sure its the bolts as much as possibly one of the frame brackets the marries to the footrest bracket...

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Hadrian wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:18 pm
When the footrest is fully removed and I hold it up under the bike it appears the four holes on either side line up but all eight will not line up together, so Im not sure its the bolts as much as possibly one of the frame brackets the marries to the footrest bracket...
Given that the Foot Rest Bracket is one,..VERY solid piece,...the likelihood that it stretched or shrunk the distance between the for sets of left and right side mounting holes is,...like,.not-at-all.

I'm guessing that....some how,...the problem lies with the Frame and the Flat "Plates" (with the Internal Threading) that coincide with the Footrest Mounting Bracket Holes that the bolts fit through

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

I'd put one side on then use a clamp to push / pull the other side into place.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Is it possiable that a PO got the foot rest on backwards? Is that even possiable?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:17 pm
I'd put one side on then use a clamp to push / pull the other side into place.
I like that idea. I would imagine that you pulled the right side 4 bolts out and it tried to collapse so it would have bent the left side mount. Bolt the leftside 4 up tight and then find a way to push the right side into place. Maybe a jack on the right side to push it up.

If you tighten the left side bolts and the bracket isn't all the way up to the bracket you will know that you are on the right track.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

This idea could work......but given the surfaces that probably will be put under pressure are painted,....And the pressures to straighten again will be high,....it'd be a bit tricky as to how to make it work.

I've done some things akin to this,....but I'd have to think about this before giving a recommendation as to a safe/effective/non-damaging method to make it happen for him.

Let's see what he reports when he posts again.

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hadrian »

I thought about attaching one side fully and then using a clamp or press to force the other side to line up. Im not sure that I have the correct tools to execute it correctly and additionally it may cause more damage to the bike.

I’ve now removed the brake cables and the kick stand kill switch from the bracket so its fully free from the bike. I am going to attempt to line it up one more time now that the brake lines are off as they did limit the movement somewhat.

If that doesn't work I think my best and easiest fix would be to cut it in half so both sides of the footrest can be independently bolted back on as I have confirmed that this is possible by being able to attach one side at a time as a whole piece.

Additionally this bike was sold to me for $400 by a coworker who had taken the carbs out for a rebuild and never got around to reassembling the bike after having a child. Im not afraid to frankenstein this a bit if need as its not my golden child bike. I reassembled the carbs, trouble shot the rear cylinder not firing, new plugs, a new front tire on and now changed out the clutch plates as it was slipping here and there. I have learned a ton about working on your own bike and thats what my goal was as I hd never taken a shop class or been around vehicles much. Just wanted to throw that out there incase it sounded extreme to cut this bracket in half to some. I’ve been riding it with some buddies up and down the coast all summer so I’ve gotten a lot out of it.

And thank you for all the replies, its been really helpful!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I would not cut it in half as it is a structural part.
I would try elongating the holes.
JMO

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:14 pm
I would try elongating the holes.
JMO
+1
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:54 pm
navigator wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:14 pm
I would try elongating the holes.JMO
+1
Yes,...absolutely! :space: If you cut it?.......you'll be sore-reee! :space: :bow:

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hadrian »

I'm confused about how this part could possibly be a structural part? Its just a footrest. No other bike I have ever seen has a one piece metal footrest spanning the underside of the frame of the bike. In any case thank you for letting me know.

I think that drilling out the holes to be larger would be great as its not out of alignment by that much so that might do the trick. The issue is that the holes are recessed so that the screws sit inside flush. If I drill that out then there wont be anywhere for the screw to grab, I suppose I could source new screws that are longer and add a washer to each one and then they just wouldn't be flush anymore on one side.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

I said elongate, not drill oversize.
use a file or a dremel tool.
you can also enlarge the recess

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Hadrian wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:45 am
I'm confused about how this part could possibly be a structural part? Its just a footrest. No other bike I have ever seen has a one piece metal footrest spanning the underside of the frame of the bike. In any case thank you for letting me know.

I think that drilling out the holes to be larger would be great as its not out of alignment by that much so that might do the trick. The issue is that the holes are recessed so that the screws sit inside flush. If I drill that out then there wont be anywhere for the screw to grab, I suppose I could source new screws that are longer and add a washer to each one and then they just wouldn't be flush anymore on one side.
You probably tweaked the frame when you removed the bolts while on the side stand.
The right side down tube is removable, loosen the bolts on the ends, then put a ratchet strap across the frame tubes, parallel to the footrest bracket and ease them together till the bolts line up.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

How are you keeping the bike upright without a sidestand? If you can, pack a plinth under the battery box to release any stress on the frame, as Nav suggested, loosen the 4 bolts holding the rh frame section to give a bit of wiggle room. When you finally get things sorted don't forget to fit new split pins in the drilled bolts it's a very important safety feature.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hadrian »

navigator wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:02 am
Hadrian wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:45 am

You probably tweaked the frame when you removed the bolts while on the side stand.
The right side down tube is removable, loosen the bolts on the ends, then put a ratchet strap across the frame tubes, parallel to the footrest bracket and ease them together till the bolts line up.
Yes or bent the receiving brackets that are welded to the frame. This is a great idea but if I remember correctly I need to move the frame outwards not inwards so I dont think the ratchet straps would work, I can't recall for sure but I will look into this when I get back home to confirm.