Replaced spark plugs today.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Replaced spark plugs today.

Post by DonGee »

I know, whoop-de-doo. Should be a relative piece o' cake. And the right side was. I know I probably didn't have to remove the cover, but I did for slightly easier access. Start to finish took maybe ten minutes. Move to the left side. More of a pain to remove the cover, but then the real fun began. I lowered the socket into the hole and it wouldn't grab the plug. Try again. Nope. Try the socket from the tool kit. Nope. So I grabbed a flashlight and took a look inside and saw what looked like a rubber ring in the hole, encircling the ceramic part of the plug.

I'm sure most of you are way ahead of me on this. I looked at the end of the spark plug wire and it was missing that fat part at the end. Sure enough, that's what was stuck in the cylinder head, blocking access to the plug itself. After spending a lot of time and inventing new curse words, I was finally able to remove it and put it back on the wire, insert the new plug, futz around lining up the not-so-easy-to-access screws for the cover and button everything up. Grabbed the key, crossed my fingers and it started right up and sounds just wonderful.

It's things like this that are the reason I lean toward having someone else do work on the bike.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Replaced spark plugs today.

Post by navigator »

Never fear, pay attention to detail, and all jobs are relatively straightforward.
I know of a guy who changed his oil filter, but neglected to clean the mating surface, which had the old o-ring stuck on it.
Jammed the new filter on...leaks ensued.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Grabed these one day a harbor freight just because I figured they were something I could destroy if needed. Now I have 4 or 5 sets and keep them in the tool box, gun bag, basement, and shed just because they come in handy all the time. I have a better set made by Irwin (I think) but these little ones from harbor freight make some things much easier.

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

That little hook and pick set has been a lifesaver more times than I can count.

I also have more than one set.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

navigator wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:27 pm
I know of a guy who changed his oil filter, but neglected to clean the mating surface, which had the old o-ring stuck on it.
Jammed the new filter on...leaks ensued.
If you've never done that you're either lying or just don't do enough oil changes.

Mine was on the old CRV we had. You only ever do it once though.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:41 pm
That little hook and pick set has been a lifesaver more times than I can count.

I also have more than one set.
It's almost strange that the big tool brands don't sell a small set like the HF ones. Even as a advertising gimic like the SnapOn pocket screwdriver.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Post by DonGee »

That pick and hook set is exactly what I ended up using to get that thing out! :)