How does preload work?

jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800

How does preload work?

Post by jfaith15 »

I’ve been trying to find the cheapest and simplest way to get my feet more solidly on the ground when at standstill, and adjusting the preload has come up a few times. I think I get the basic idea of what preload is, but I don’t know what mine is set to, or if adjusting it to the lowest setting would lower the seat height enough.

I think I need it an inch lower. The seat height on the Rebel 250 was 26.6” and my feet were nearly completely flat. I think I need it an inch lower, since the VS800 seat height is 27.2”.

Standing on the balls of my feet on this bike definitely is not ideal or safe, but I don’t have $300+ to drop on 11” or 11.5” Progressive shocks. I’m also not confident enough to shave the foam of the stock seat myself and unfortunately, I don’t know anywhere that could do it for me (probably don’t have the money either).
I put my faith in Youtube and strangers on the internet to solve my problems.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: How does preload work?

Post by sgtcall »

jfaith15 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm
I’ve been trying to find the cheapest and simplest way to get my feet more solidly on the ground when at standstill, and adjusting the preload has come up a few times. I think I get the basic idea of what preload is, but I don’t know what mine is set to, or if adjusting it to the lowest setting would lower the seat height enough.

I think I need it an inch lower. The seat height on the Rebel 250 was 26.6” and my feet were nearly completely flat. I think I need it an inch lower, since the VS800 seat height is 27.2”.

Standing on the balls of my feet on this bike definitely is not ideal or safe, but I don’t have $300+ to drop on 11” or 11.5” Progressive shocks. I’m also not confident enough to shave the foam of the stock seat myself and unfortunately, I don’t know anywhere that could do it for me (probably don’t have the money either).
Preload is the ammount of compresion to the shocks when you sit on the seat. Your shocks should be preload adjustable but this is not really going to fix your issue. You could add shorter shocks but that would be expensive.

The easy and cheap way is to adjust the seat. Order a seat cover from ebay for $40. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/224034709598?f ... R5zOxbHcYg)

Use a razor knife to carve down the foam in the seat an inch or 2 then sit on it to see if it works for you. Go a little further than perfect. Using rubber cement add a thin layer of foam to the top to smooth it out then put the new cover on. Heat the cover with a hair dryer as you streach it on to make it easier to get in place and staple it on with 1/4 staples. It is actually easy to do and only takes a couple of hours.

Herb mentioned using an electric carving knife to trim the seat and that sounds like a great idea if you have one on hand.

You can't really mess this up and if you do just refill the mistake with new foam.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

I also think the ebay seat cover looks much better than the stock cover.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Guys used to use 2nd hand Sportster shocks on XJs to lower them - cheaper option than new and would probably bolt straight on to your VS.

jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool

Post by jfaith15 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:48 pm
jfaith15 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm

Preload is the ammount of compresion to the shocks when you sit on the seat. Your shocks should be preload adjustable but this is not really going to fix your issue. You could add shorter shocks but that would be expensive.

The easy and cheap way is to adjust the seat. Order a seat cover from ebay for $40. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/224034709598?f ... R5zOxbHcYg)

Use a razor knife to carve down the foam in the seat an inch or 2 then sit on it to see if it works for you. Go a little further than perfect. Using rubber cement add a thin layer of foam to the top to smooth it out then put the new cover on. Heat the cover with a hair dryer as you streach it on to make it easier to get in place and staple it on with 1/4 staples. It is actually easy to do and only takes a couple of hours.

Herb mentioned using an electric carving knife to trim the seat and that sounds like a great idea if you have one on hand.

You can't really mess this up and if you do just refill the mistake with new foam.
thanks! will it make it more uncomfortable to sit on for long rides if it has less foam?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Agreed, the shock length doesn't change with preload, it will not lower the bike enough.
You may however get a softer ride.
To check your preload, look up into the bottom of the shock, you will see a series of 5 steps. Rotating the bottom chrome cover of the shock will change the setting. Make sure both sides of the bike are on the same setting.

jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool

Post by jfaith15 »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:04 pm
Guys used to use 2nd hand Sportster shocks on XJs to lower them - cheaper option than new and would probably bolt straight on to your VS.
i’ve heard about people putting sportster parts on vs800s and i’ll look for more info on it but i’m worried they’ll cost a decent amount and not fit. anyone else know if sportster shocks will fit?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

jfaith15 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:35 am
hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:04 pm
i’ve heard about people putting sportster parts on vs800s and i’ll look for more info on it but i’m worried they’ll cost a decent amount and not fit. anyone else know if sportster shocks will fit?
Measure the eye diameter, I forget offhand what they are. Also measure the length eye to eye. IIRC stock VS800 shocks are 12.5"
Progressive shocks are supplied with steel bushings to adapt to different diameters, You can also get them at a hardware store.
IIRC the lower right bolt is a different diameter than the top studs and lower left stud.
Replace the shocks one at a time, don't pull both off unless you have a jack under the bike.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

No it will be fine. In fact to much padding can be just as uncomfortable as to little.

You could do something like this.