Oil Light

Bip
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder VS800 1998

Oil Light

Post by Bip »

Oil idiot lights are on before starting cold. All go off when it starts. After riding about 20 minutes (highway or slow roads and outside temperature at 97 degrees) the oil may come on and stay on. Eventually it goes off. It doesn't matter if riding or idling for the light to come on. Revving the engine doesn't make the light come on or go off. I've cleaned the connection to oil sensor, changed the oil and filter. New coolant sensor, thermostat, and 50/50 antifreeze. If the oil sensor was bad, would the light stay on and not cycle off and on? The sensor I believe is oil pressure. Is there an easy way of testing this sensor? Any ideas would GREATLY be appreciated.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Oil Light

Post by hillsy v2 »

The oil light is activated by the wire grounding. Oil pressure when the bike is running breaks the circuit via the switch. Hence the sensor wire just needs to ground to activate the light. You should check the wiring from the sensor to the light to ensure there are no grounds along the way.

You can test the sensor but you will need a pressure gauge and it's not really worth it. Easier to just buy a new one and rule out any faults if you suspect the sensor. Sensors are kind of generic - as long as the thread pitch is correct and the pressure cut off is the same you can use any one as they all work the same. I used a car one on my KZ1300 some time ago - from memory it was from a Fiat of some description.

And for what it's worth if you look up the part number (37820-33D10) you'll find it's common between almost 350 different Suzuki models.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Slightly to the rear of the drain plug is a small plate with 4 bolts, drain the oil and remove this plate, it is the oil pump screen cover, check what is lurking there, don't try to remove the screen you will probably damage it, use an old toothbrush and gasoline to clean it. If you find it has brass filings in it your shifter forks have come adrift and are being ground down by the gears. Not a very common fault on the Intruders but a noted one. It happened to my 750.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Bip
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder VS800 1998

Post by Bip »

Good advice. I'll get a chance to work on it after I replace my cell phone. What a headache getting phone up tp speed. Should be in a few days. I will update when I get results. Thanks again!