Test start requirements

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder 800 epa edition

Test start requirements

Post by Deedubforum »

Hello, I recently purchased a 96 vs800 California emissions version. It’s in relatively good condition but just different things were removed/misplaced so I’m sort of putting it back together as a puzzle. On the issue of starting I know it briefly turns over with starting fluid so I rebuilt the carbs and hooked them up, I wasn’t sure of the fuel system so I manually filled the bowls(I think) and tried to crank and nothing, so my question is what do I need hooked up to just test start it, if it doesn’t run I don’t wanna sink more $$ into it. Air filter? Choke? Evap lines? Throttle? Any info helps.
Not a goodbye , an I’ll see ya later :cheers:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Test start requirements

Post by hillsy v2 »

You will need the throttle cables and a fuel source at the very least. You can use a gravity fed remote fuel tank and bypass the fuel pump.

You will need to ensure any vacuum hoses are plugged up and you might need a bit of starter fluid to coax it into life before it draws fuel from the carbs.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Pull the choke all the way out.
You will also need to be sure you are in neutral, and the clutch lever is pulled in.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder 800 epa edition

Post by Deedubforum »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:47 pm
You will need the throttle cables and a fuel source at the very least. You can use a gravity fed remote fuel tank and bypass the fuel pump.

You will need to ensure any vacuum hoses are plugged up and you might need a bit of starter fluid to coax it into life before it draws fuel from the carbs.
So I made progress, found a donor bike to use the throttle cables from and what not got that all dialed in but I can’t seem to get fuel into the rear carb, whenever I put any into either the inlet on bottom or top(leading to front carb) it just comes out the other end and not into the bowl also the seat and needle are new and not stuck
Not a goodbye , an I’ll see ya later :cheers: