Battery Terminals Inaccessible for Jumpstart

jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Battery Terminals Inaccessible for Jumpstart

Post by jfaith15 »

I’ve had to jump my 2003 VS800 a few times now and it has sucked every time.

The only way I’ve been able to do it is with jump cables that have narrow clamps that are almost entirely copper. I’ve always needed another person to hold the positive clamp while touching it to the positive terminal (chronically arced on a piece of metal on the battery box). If I tried hard enough, I could sometimes wedge the ground clamp between the frame of the bike to keep it touching the ground terminal (the “wedge” method). While this solution works in my garage, it’s definitely unrealistic for any other setting.

Is there a simple and safe way to make the terminals more accessible? Can I just put longer (copper?) screws in the terminals so I can get the clamps on easier? Can I use some sort of cables/wires to make the terminals more accessible? It’s important to mention that I am clueless about auto maintenance, and even more clueless about electrical stuff.

Even if I used longer screws, I’m worried I still wouldn’t be able to get a clamp on the ground terminal because it’s deep in the body of the bike and even less exposed than the positive terminal. I really don’t want to rely on the wedge method forever :(

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Battery Terminals Inaccessible for Jumpstart

Post by hillsy v2 »

Not sure where the starter solenoid is on the 800 - but attaching the jumper lead to the +ve lead on the solenoid is another option. Ground can go anywhere on the frame or engine.

Begs the question though - why do you have to keep jumpering your bike so often?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Hillsy is right about the easy way to jump the intruder BUT, be warned you clamp the positive to the stater then just touch the negative to the exhaust bolt (I always used that one but any grounded point will work) and the bike will start. Don't clamp the negative cable to the bolt just touch it. You may get a small burn mark on the bolt. I can't remember if the clutch needs to be pulled in for this to work, I don't think it does. But make sure you are in neutral.

If you have to jump it often you have a bigger issue. Start by taking the battery to any auto parts store and have them load test it. If it fails get a new battery.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I was riding my 1400 to work every day and almost every day that was below 35 deg I would have to use that method to start the thing. It also works well with a battery charge with the boost function. That is what I used most of the time.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:56 pm
Hillsy is right about the easy way to jump the intruder BUT, be warned you clamp the positive to the stater then just touch the negative to the exhaust bolt (I always used that one but any grounded point will work) and the bike will start. Don't clamp the negative cable to the bolt just touch it. You may get a small burn mark on the bolt. I can't remember if the clutch needs to be pulled in for this to work, I don't think it does. But make sure you are in neutral.

If you have to jump it often you have a bigger issue. Start by taking the battery to any auto parts store and have them load test it. If it fails get a new battery.
If you attach the +ve jumper to the battery side of the solenoid you are essentially just adding a battery tender. Then you start the bike as normal.

If you want to bypass the solenoid and energise the starter motor then jumper to the starter motor side of the solenoid like you have said above.