Fuel line replacement

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 800

Fuel line replacement

Post by Celtics1 »

What’s up everyone,
So a few days ago I noticed my 2000 intruder was leaking gas from just under the petcock. The fuel line from the petcock to the fuel pump was the original and was cracked and rotted. I pulled the hose and took it to O’Reillys and they matched it with a replacement.

The replacement they gave me was rated for fuel injected and had a slightly bigger outside diameter. I had a tough time threading it through the tank tunnel but was able to get it through. I had a little extra length and trimmed it then I had a hell of a time trying to connect it onto the barb for the petcock. I was finally able to get it connected on both sides and then getting the tank back on was also a struggle.
Anyway after getting everything reassembled I took it out today and within 45 seconds I could feel a lack of power then it started sputtering and losing power until the bike died. Some trial and error and I could start it for a few seconds here and there - then was finally able to get it home riding on reserve.
Everything is pointing towards either a kink in the fuel line or something else I did wrong replacing it.
So I guess my questions are,
Is a fuel injected hose alright for a bike with a carb?

Am I better off just getting the OEM hose, or at least one with the same outside diameter because I can’t imagine squeezing it through the tunnel was helpful with a thicker hose.
When I cut some hose off, I think I took a little too much off because I had to really stretch the hose to get it connected to the petcock. Would a stretched hose be more likely to kink?
Thank you!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Fuel line replacement

Post by hillsy v2 »

FI hose will work with low pressure systems but it sounds like you may have kinked the hose somewhere along the way.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Could also be that you swapped the reserve and main lines. I did that once and had to ride the rest of the day on the reserve tank.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

Thank you to both of you - I’m gonna pull the tank and everything after work tomorrow. I’m guessing it’s a kink, but is there a specific way to know whether I swapped the main or reserve line?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Never really looked at the fuel cock for a 800 but now that I did I see you only have one line feeding the pump. The 1400 has two lines. So if the bike runs well on reserve I would suspect that the fuel cock is clogged in the on position. Might want to pull it out and check the screens. With only one line I don't see how it could be a kink yet it runs on the reserve side.

Go to chapter 6 in the Service Manual.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

Appreciate the help, I just took it out to try and get some more info - I could ride for a few mins with the petcock on, then it would feel like it was losing power until it sputtered out and died. I did this 3 or 4 times and then tried it with the petcock on reserve… it was a similar result but it didn’t die out, although I may not have ridden long enough to cause that.

I tried flipping the petcock from on to reserve when I felt it losing power and there was no change, the bike still died out.
Going to drain the tank now to clean the filter for the petcock and see what that does.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Not sure about the 800 but on my 1400 I could just take the tank off and tilt it forward to pull the peacock out. This only worked if I had a half tank or less of gas.

Don't forget to turn the peacock back on when you put it together.

I still think this sounds like a vent problem, the tank is not pulling air in.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Is the 800 the one that has a vacuum or vent line on the tank?
Where's Navigator?
navigator wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:45 am

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

The petcock filter looks clean, I believe it’s vacuum? But not entirely sure

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Celtics1 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:59 pm
The petcock filter looks clean, I believe it’s vacuum? But not entirely sure
If it is a vacuum unit it will have 2 hoses - one for fuel and a smaller diameter one for the vacuum.

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

Just a vent then, only 1 hose off of the peacock…it’s a 2000 intruder 800 - I appreciate the help

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Celtics1 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:33 pm
Just a vent then, only 1 hose off of the peacock…it’s a 2000 intruder 800 - I appreciate the help
Your 2000 VS800 only has one hose from the petcock. It feeds fuel to the pump, there is no vaccuum line. It runs to the rear fitting on the fuel pump. The front fitting on the pump runs to the rear carb. the other hose on the rear carb runs to the front carb.
Perhaps you have the lines swapped at the pump?

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

navigator wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:35 am
Celtics1 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:33 pm
Your 2000 VS800 only has one hose from the petcock. It feeds fuel to the pump, there is no vaccuum line. It runs to the rear fitting on the fuel pump. The front fitting on the pump runs to the rear carb. the other hose on the rear carb runs to the front carb.
Perhaps you have the lines swapped at the pump?
The lines should be on correctly, I only changed the petcock to fuel pump line, and didn’t touch the other. I saw someone mention to pull the hose from the fuel pump, and check the flow rate with the petcock open to see if that tells me anything…. I’m going to try this later if that would be helpful and see what I get. Just curious if anyone knows - the bike should be off when I try to check the flow rate?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

To see if the tank flows freely. Hook up a hose to the petcock, run it into a gas can. Open the petcock, with the bike turned off.
To see if the pump is working, run a hose from the petcock to the pump inlet. Run another hose from the pump outlet to a gas can. Then crank the bike, it should flow while cranking.

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

navigator wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:50 am
To see if the tank flows freely. Hook up a hose to the petcock, run it into a gas can. Open the petcock, with the bike turned off.
To see if the pump is working, run a hose from the petcock to the pump inlet. Run another hose from the pump outlet to a gas can. Then crank the bike, it should flow while cranking.
So I just checked the lines, with the valve on reserve the fuel flows freely, but with it in the “on” position there’s no gas flow at all. Does this seem like maybe the petcock itself or valve itself is busted?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

It depends on how much fuel is in the tank.
On will flow until there is only 0.8 gallons left.
Res will flow until empty.
With 2 gallons in the tank, it should flow in the on position.

With the petcock on, tip the tank to the left side, you should get some gas.
Sounds like maybe your petcock is compromised, blow it out with compressed air thru the outlet.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Celtics1 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:08 pm
navigator wrote:
So I just checked the lines, with the valve on reserve the fuel flows freely, but with it in the “on” position there’s no gas flow at all. Does this seem like maybe the petcock itself or valve itself is busted?
Seems like you found the issue. Can you pull it apart or do you need to just replace the entire unit? Just as a thought, what about the off position? Does fuel flow when it is off?

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:20 pm
Celtics1 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:08 pm
navigator wrote:
Seems like you found the issue. Can you pull it apart or do you need to just replace the entire unit? Just as a thought, what about the off position? Does fuel flow when it is off?
I’m gonna try to pull it apart and see if I can find the issue - I just don’t know exactly what I’m looking for in terms of issues if it’s nothing obvious lol.. fuel does not flow in the off position - only in reserve

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

navigator wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:19 pm
It depends on how much fuel is in the tank.
On will flow until there is only 0.8 gallons left.
Res will flow until empty.
With 2 gallons in the tank, it should flow in the on position.

With the petcock on, tip the tank to the left side, you should get some gas.
Sounds like maybe your petcock is compromised, blow it out with compressed air thru the outlet.
There should be at least a gallon of gas in there and I have the bike tipped to the side but not even a drip with it in the on position. Im gonna take the petcock off

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

Scratch what I just said - there wasn’t enough gas in the tank, it is flowing with it in the on position. I’m gonna pull the line off the fuel pump now to see if that is flowing when I crank it