Best battery for cold start?

jhorgan24
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Best battery for cold start?

Post by jhorgan24 »

My bike tends to be a real pain to start in the cold weather. Once it gets below 60 I need to plan at least 10 minutes to convince the bike to eventually turn over. Usually this involves messing with the choke until I finally manage to get it to go.

So with that in mind, I'm replacing my battery and I'm curious if I can get a higher quality battery that might help it start better. Right now I'm using a sigmastek battery which generally works fine, Sears says that its 220 CCA. Seems like most people on the forum like Motobatt or Scorpion which seem reasonable enough in price to get. Been considering the 507 CCA scorpion but at 200 bucks a battery I need to do some double checking to see if it'll actually solve my problem or if I'll be going on a wild goose chase.

Old battery link: https://www.sears.com/sigmastek-stx16-b ... A048661912

So what do you guys think? Is it worth going for a better battery and do you think that'll solve my cold start problem or should I start looking at other solutions?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Best battery for cold start?

Post by sgtcall »

jhorgan24 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:40 pm
My bike tends to be a real pain to start in the cold weather. Once it gets below 60 I need to plan at least 10 minutes to convince the bike to eventually turn over. Usually this involves messing with the choke until I finally manage to get it to go.

So with that in mind, I'm replacing my battery and I'm curious if I can get a higher quality battery that might help it start better. Right now I'm using a sigmastek battery which generally works fine, Sears says that its 220 CCA. Seems like most people on the forum like Motobatt or Scorpion which seem reasonable enough in price to get. Been considering the 507 CCA scorpion but at 200 bucks a battery I need to do some double checking to see if it'll actually solve my problem or if I'll be going on a wild goose chase.

Old battery link: https://www.sears.com/sigmastek-stx16-b ... A048661912

So what do you guys think? Is it worth going for a better battery and do you think that'll solve my cold start problem or should I start looking at other solutions?
I had the Scorpion in my 1400 and it worked great for 6 years. You need to make sure the one you get will fit in the battery box.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Buy a cheap hair drier and blow some warm air into the intakes whilst cranking.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 pm
I had the Scorpion in my 1400 and it worked great for 6 years. You need to make sure the one you get will fit in the battery box.
I did a comparison of the available batteries for the 1400 and 800 in another Thread.

Perhaps this will be a good starting point for you, jhorgan24;
Designer wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:00 pm
navigator wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:25 am
That battery is for the 1400, Prolly won't fit the 800 box.The lead acid battery for the 800 is YB16B-A1. But I recommend the Motobatt AGM as a replacement.
I did some research and this is what I found;

The Yuasa YB16B-A1 (listed as for the 800) is indeed a conventional battery,...needing maintenance. ( Boo-Hoo)
I checked the dimensions and they are 160mm x 90mm x 161mm

And the YTX16-BS-1 ( listed for the 1400) has smaller dimensions...... they are 150mm x 87mm x 161mm.
Thus the AGM 1400 battery will indeed fit the 800! :space: :ahha: You would probably need to slip in some thin fillers to keep the battery nicely in place,...but,...it will fit. :space: :rock:

Now that did surprise me. :space: :blink:

BTW,....why I am using the No-maintenance AGM Yuasa Battery ( that we can fill ourselves) is because both I and my friend (who rides a 1500) have had some longevity problems with the Mototbatt AGM.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

jhorgan24
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by jhorgan24 »

Thanks for the suggestions all. Decided to go with the Scorpion, its only a few buck more than the battery I usually buy and claims to have an extra 10 CCA. Probably won't make a difference in terms of starting in the cold but I'll give it a shot.

Any other suggestions for making it easier to start in the cold? I know my carbs are wildly out of sync so I'm going to sync those when I put the battery in. I just took them off and cleaned them last week too. I'm hoping that's the magic bullet to making it easier to start.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

When you adjust the sync, open the idle jets a little bit. Gives it a little more gas for starting. My 1400 has the idle jets opened to about 2 1/4 turns out, stock setting is less than 2 turns on it.

I also found that setting the plug gap at the bottom of the range works better.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Before you start it put it in 1st gear, release the clutch and rock it back and forth 2 or 3 times. Then press the start button to prime it. After it is primed put it in neutral and start it as normal.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.