95 vs800gl engine noise

95vs800GL
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1995 Suzuki intruder vs800gl

95 vs800gl engine noise

Post by 95vs800GL »

The problem I'm having is when I'm idling and sitting the engine sounds ok, with a consistent small tick, but when reved it goes away and the it's a random click coming from what sounds like the front motor. Over all the bike runs great but I can't tell if the noise is the carburators needing timed or something wrong with the front piston. Also figured out someone has worked one the exhaust for the front engine because there is a non factory bolt on the exhaust, could this also cause the backfiring and loss of power in the throttle? About mid-throttle I have no juice and it begins to sputter and backfire.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: 95 vs800gl engine noise

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
I'm sure one of our smart guys will be along shortly to give you a good answer.
Until then here are a couple of things you may want to check into.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Re: 95 vs800gl engine noise

Post by Pio412 »

The valves on these engines are a bit noisy (as long as you still have the stock exhaust system on it, which is quiet.) but since you said someone messed with the flanges by noticing a different nut on the headers I'd check the header gaskets and make sure they're sealing properly. If the header gasket is leaking these can make a sort of ticking noise. So start her up COLD and spray a bit of soapy water on the exhaust flanges by the head and see if she bubbles... if it does then you have a leak.

A header leak will for sure cause backfiring because of the aggressive valve timing on these bikes.

Check your oil as well to make sure it's topped up!

Also make sure your idle isn't set too low... it might be loosing oil pressure and that's why it could be the valves ticking at idle... maybe? Just a thought. Good luck!

Cheers :bow: :ShitGrinandThumb:
Designer/Engineer