VS800 No Spark when hot

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

VS800 No Spark when hot

Post by sgtcall »

Asking for someone else.

97 Suzuki VS800 sputters and shuts off after it is warmed up. Seems to run fine when cold. Has spark when cold but no spark once it is at running temperature.

Any thoughts?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: VS800 No Spark when hot

Post by Herb »

you don't specify if both cylinder don't have spark so I am "assuming" that neither do. That indicates that it is either the pickup on the crankshaft or the ignition box itself.

If it were only one cylinder I would look at the spark plug first and the coil second.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:43 pm
you don't specify if both cylinder don't have spark so I am "assuming" that neither do. That indicates that it is either the pickup on the crankshaft or the ignition box itself.

If it were only one cylinder I would look at the spark plug first and the coil second.
Thanks Herb
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I am not sure what the resistance on the pickup is supposed to be but reading it when cold and again when it quits could tell you if it is bad.

Considering it is only when hot, if you want to take a chance, I would go with the pickup first.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Check this transit block, it's a fulcrum point and the wires can break here (happened to me).

Check the earth cable by the battery lug for stiffness and/or swelling, indicating a point of high resistance if found make up a new one.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Lechy wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:44 am
Check this transit block, it's a fulcrum point and the wires can break here (happened to me).

Check the earth cable by the battery lug for stiffness and/or swelling, indicating a point of high resistance if found make up a new one.
Thanks Lechy

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Post by Pio412 »

sgtcall, so what ended up being the issue? :Umm:
Designer/Engineer

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Inquiring minds want to know...

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

I don't know but have been trying to find out. That was a question from the Motorcycle Forum that didn't get a lot of attention so I figured you guys could help out. Haven't gotten any feedback on the bike is running again.

I use Intruder issues on the Motorcycle Forum to try and bring in new members here. I just invite them to IA and hope they join. I am not sure how well it works but we have gotten about 28 new members just this month so something is working.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I don't know about others but I always appreciate when people let us know what solved a problem. The information has come in handy a large number of times.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:11 am
I don't know about others but I always appreciate when people let us know what solved a problem. The information has come in handy a large number of times.
I know I hate it too. If the problem is solved the OP should post the end solution so that others can learn from it.

I was thinking about creating some threads based on different categories of common issues using what people have already posted on here. Basically combine information then pin it to the top of the correct section and create a PDF document of it and add it to the IA Drive I set up that has manuals and other information already in it. This would be a project for next winter, summer time is for other things. Your thoughts?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:30 am
Herb wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:11 am
I know I hate it too. If the problem is solved the OP should post the end solution so that others can learn from it.

I was thinking about creating some threads based on different categories of common issues using what people have already posted on here. Basically combine information then pin it to the top of the correct section and create a PDF document of it and add it to the IA Drive I set up that has manuals and other information already in it. This would be a project for next winter, summer time is for other things. Your thoughts?
My thoughts are that it would be very useful for everyone.