My C800 Suzuki intruder 2016 gear issue

darrenbrad
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki intruder C800

My C800 Suzuki intruder 2016 gear issue

Post by darrenbrad »

Hi
I have a 2016 Suzuki intruder that I cannot get into 3rd gear. It is a cable gear selector I can get it into 1st with a clunk it will hit neutral and 2nd but nothing above this. Has anybody else had an issue or know how to fix this . What should I look for please
Darren

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: My C800 Suzuki intruder 2016 gear issue

Post by Lechy »

Have you had the covers off. if yes, you have probably not meshed the shifter rod correctly. Check the splined clamp on the shifter rod, it may have come loose and jumped a couple of splines. I don't know about the C800's but the VS series have a problem with the shifter forks coming loose on the rod and disintegrating. To check, drain the oil, to the rear of the drain plug is a small plate held on with 4 bolts (10 mm wrench), this is the oil pump screen cover, remove it and check for brass filings.
Sorry, but that's all I have for you.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome.
Here are a couple of things you may want to check out.

Posting Pictures.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

Manuals and Information.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Here is something I stole from an old forum that may be helpful if you need to fix the clutch. But look into what Lechy said first. Always do the simple stuff first.

This is from a C50 so I am not sure if that is the same bike as yours. It looks the same to me so I am not sure if there is just a different naming convention.

Use Barnett clutch springs, they are known to be the best.

I recommend removing the lower exhaust pipe.

Drain the oil

Pull the clutch cover. keep track of were the bolts for the cover came from. Use a piece of cardboard with holes matching the cover to place the bolts in.

It would be good to have a torque wrench to put it back together. remember this is “cheep” steel or aluminum if you over tighten (strip tight and another ¼ turn) you will strip out the threads.

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

So was it working OK before or has this issue always been? Have you worked on it like Lechy has suggested?

And.....are you actually riding the bike or trying to change gears whilst it's stationary? They don't shift through the gears unless the rear wheel is moving.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

darrenbrad wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:33 am
Hi
I have a 2016 Suzuki intruder that I cannot get into 3rd gear. It is a cable gear selector I can get it into 1st with a clunk it will hit neutral and 2nd but nothing above this. Has anybody else had an issue or know how to fix this . What should I look for please
Darren
Just checking to see if you found anything yet.