white oil

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

white oil

Post by Lechy »

Had a seized piston, so engine out and dismantled, sorted that out and rebuilt the engine using new gaskets and seals. The oil I drained was normal black.
Re-installed engine, new oil and filter, carb synch carried out, checked the oil level only to find the oil like cream paint. Got a water pump seal kit, fitted it, being a tight arse I filtered the old dirty oil through a fine tea strainer and used that. Took her for a short ride and inspected the oil, (extreme expletives) White oil again. Time to dig a bit deeper, check the water pump, not so easy. Clutch cover off, clutch basket loosened to remove the oil pump drive chain, oil pump removed as it also drives the water pump. Water pump seals OK, not so much as a small drip. With the clutch basket removed I could see inside the crank chamber, there it was a constant water drip. (More expletives) and engine out again. The front valve cover has a small O-ring type seal for the water return gallery, maybe this has become dislodged or wasn't sealing it is located very close to the splash well under the cam lobes (which was full of white oil). Gave everything a good clean up.Using Permatex 300 to seal the surfaces and a good amount around the water seal replaced the valve cover. McGuyvered some tubing to make a sealed system filled it with water only to see the water drain out of the header tube and drip back into the engine. (More expletives). Valve cover off again, now the splash well was filled with water. Must still be leaking from the return gallery somehow. Small flat rubber block and fine wet&dry I smoothed down all mating surfaces, got the air line to blow the crap away and that's when I found the leak.
Any of you geniuses out there know what the problem was?
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: white oil

Post by hillsy v2 »

Left something out? A dowel, perhaps??

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Nah, everything put back correctly. A bit unfair really, not something a bike wrencher would consider, me included.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I have no idea but, I'm waiting to find out.

:Umm:
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Cracked block between water jacket and oil gallery?
Bad casting, finally spit out a loose chunk?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

That's what I thought, especially when I started blowing the crap out of the well under the cam lobes. There was still some water left in the jacket which started to spit out with the air, upon closer inspection with a small flashlight, lurking in the bottom of the well was a core (expansion) plug/cup which had corroded through. So off with the cam and a new plug fitted, the rear one was on its last legs also.
Something to keep in mind when troubleshooting white oil.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Interesting problem.

Do you use coolant or water in the bike?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Always use a corrosion inhibitor. I can't speak for the previous owners though. Due to health problems the engine was out of the frame without water for a couple of months, no doubt this had a detrimental affect allowing oxidation to accelerate on the mild steel plugs.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Try to find a core plug for an Intruder on the net. I have a parts microfiche and it's nowhere to be found.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Yeah - previous history is a lucky dip sometimes.

Glad you worked that one out.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Lechy wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:36 pm
Try to find a core plug for an Intruder on the net. I have a parts microfiche and it's nowhere to be found.
Is it just a Welch plug? Surely you just need to measure and get the right size?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

The point I was making is that if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't be able to find a reference to its whereabouts.
Finding one off the shelf was easy (unusual for Thailand) 22 mm cup plug, 2 for US$3.00

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Lechy wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 pm
The point I was making is that if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't be able to find a reference to its whereabouts.
Finding one off the shelf was easy (unusual for Thailand) 22 mm cup plug, 2 for US$3.00
All good.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I had acquired a boat that was not winterized properly. 4 cyl. I/O
Had a cracked block just below the head deck, thinnest wall of the water jacket.
Welded it up with rod meant for cast iron.
Seemed all good, ran it in a bucket.
Took her out on the lake and apparently the freeze out plug behind the flywheel was pushed out, hanging on by a thread.
A 5/8" bilge pump hose discharge will not keep up with a 1.5" hole under pressure. :lmao:
Headed for shore!!

Glad you found and fixed the problem.
Your experience is going in my notes.