2001 vs800 has trouble starting/idling and when it does turns off when throttle is applied

judahls
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: suzuki vs800

2001 vs800 has trouble starting/idling and when it does turns off when throttle is applied

Post by judahls »

it wont start without that good ol fashioned starter fluid and when it does it turns off almost immediately when i give it gas. carbs have ben cleaned and i am making fuel pressure to them, not sure if fuel pump is always running since i can only test it when i am trying to start it. have not touched the tuning at all. any ideas or things i should try?
might be just a little stupid

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: 2001 vs800 has trouble starting/idling and when it does turns off when throttle is applied

Post by hillsy v2 »

judahls wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:39 pm
it wont start without that good ol fashioned starter fluid and when it does it turns off almost immediately when i give it gas. carbs have ben cleaned and i am making fuel pressure to them, not sure if fuel pump is always running since i can only test it when i am trying to start it. have not touched the tuning at all. any ideas or things i should try?
So if it only fires with starter fluid then you know you have spark.

How long has this bike been sitting? "Carbs have been cleaned" may not be enough if it's been sitting for a long time - varnish and crud can block the pilot circuits deep in the carb bodies and the only way to get them clear is with carb cleaner and compressed air / maybe ultrasonic.

First thing to check would be whether there is fuel getting into the carb bowls - you can jumper the fuel pump wiring to make it work and then unscrew the drain screws on the carb bowls to see if the fuel is flowing and the pump is going.

If that checks out then it's probably dirty carbs (still). Which means you need to pull them out and clean thoroughly.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: 2001 vs800 has trouble starting/idling and when it does turns off when throttle is applied

Post by Lechy »

Most common cause often overlooked are blocked pilot air jets,

Grow old disgracefully young man.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and talk with a great bunch of riders about any type of bike. Everyone here is very willing to help with questions or problems for any type of bike. I have personally saved lots of time and money thanks to the skilled help I have received from our members.

As you cruise around the many different sections of this site you will find a wealth of information. There are technical sections and chat sections for various topics.

Please post help requests in the sections related to your bike’s model. Most of the time you will get quick, informed responses.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the Chit Chat Channel Section will be the place to stop in. Feel free to join in on the banter and debates (arguments), I assure you some of our members may seem like they hate each other but each of them will come together to fix a problem or drink a beer.

If you are searching for a specific problem use the search on the top right or go to the correct section by selecting ‘Board Index’ then scrolling down. If you are looking for something that you posted, go to the top left of the page, click on ‘Quick Links’ and select ‘Your Posts’.

At the bottom right of the page you will find the FAQs section that may help you with the board. If you have additional questions go to THE TEAM link, also at the bottom right, and feel free to send a PM to the team members.

If you haven't done so already please fill out your Profile and make sure that your Profile includes the year and model of your bike(s), and as a minimum, your general geographic location. Knowing where you are can help us help you.

Please take a look at this link that will show you how to post pictures viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992&p=216001&hil ... es#p216001
Please post a picture of your bike(s).

Remember, the only "dumb" question is the one you don’t ask. The answers you get may save your bike, your wallet or your life!

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining Intruders Alert.

I wish you safe riding. Keep the Shiny Side Up!
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

judahls
Tricycles are Cool

Post by judahls »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:51 pm
judahls wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:39 pm
So if it only fires with starter fluid then you know you have spark.

How long has this bike been sitting? "Carbs have been cleaned" may not be enough if it's been sitting for a long time - varnish and crud can block the pilot circuits deep in the carb bodies and the only way to get them clear is with carb cleaner and compressed air / maybe ultrasonic.

First thing to check would be whether there is fuel getting into the carb bowls - you can jumper the fuel pump wiring to make it work and then unscrew the drain screws on the carb bowls to see if the fuel is flowing and the pump is going.

If that checks out then it's probably dirty carbs (still). Which means you need to pull them out and clean thoroughly.
its good that you said that because i had not checked, there is no fuel making it to the carb bowls. when i was checking that i did not see any fuel going through the fuel filter ither Image (i know this is sketchy and dangerous)

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

judahls wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:58 pm
(i know this is sketchy and dangerous)
Haha - if you ain't livin on the edge - you aint livin.... :lmao:

OK so if the fuel pump is working.... and there's no fuel in the filter .....then you probably have a blocked fuel tap...or maybe have the hoses wrong on the pump.... (or no fuel in the tank :bonk: ).

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

You said you can hear the fuel pump running but is it pumping? Doesn't seem like it. There is a fuel pump relay that can and will go bad but the pumps themselves go bad pretty often. There is a fuel pump test you can run, see below.

[YoutubeID][/YoutubeID]

[YoutubeID][/YoutubeID]
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

judahls
Tricycles are Cool

Post by judahls »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:33 pm
You said you can hear the fuel pump running but is it pumping? Doesn't seem like it. There is a fuel pump relay that can and will go bad but the pumps themselves go bad pretty often. There is a fuel pump test you can run, see below.

[YoutubeID][/YoutubeID]

[YoutubeID][/YoutubeID]
as far as i can tell the pump only pumps when the ignition button is being pressed

judahls
Tricycles are Cool

Post by judahls »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:14 pm
judahls wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:58 pm
(i know this is sketchy and dangerous)
Haha - if you ain't livin on the edge - you aint livin.... :lmao:

OK so if the fuel pump is working.... and there's no fuel in the filter .....then you probably have a blocked fuel tap...or maybe have the hoses wrong on the pump.... (or no fuel in the tank :bonk: ).
i actually did find out that i had to put it on "reserve" to get any gas to flow. excuse me for this is my first bike to have a "reserve" fuel setting, i dont really know what it means. but, the problem with it turning off when i give it any gas still persists. it'll idle just fine but give it more than around a quarter throttle and it bogs down and stalls

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Most motorcycles don't have a fuel gauge so they have what is known as a "reserve" so you have a few extra miles before it is completley out. One of the issues with the reserve tank is that it draws every last bit of gas out which means that any water or crud can be drawn into the fuel system. I always track my fuel mileage so I know, about, when it is going to run out and switch to reserve a few miles before it runs out. This allows it to work the water/crud out on a regular basis so it doesn't cause problems.

How much gas is in the tank? I know this sounds like a stupid question but it is very easy to park a bike that is already low on fuel and the fuel to evaporate leaving it with not enough to run.

I have also forgot to switch back to the main portion of the tank after fueling and when I ran out of gas I was completly out and the bike wouldn't run... I know that I am not the only one that has done this although most won't admit it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

judahls
Tricycles are Cool

Post by judahls »

Herb wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:53 pm
Most motorcycles don't have a fuel gauge so they have what is known as a "reserve" so you have a few extra miles before it is completley out. One of the issues with the reserve tank is that it draws every last bit of gas out which means that any water or crud can be drawn into the fuel system. I always track my fuel mileage so I know, about, when it is going to run out and switch to reserve a few miles before it runs out. This allows it to work the water/crud out on a regular basis so it doesn't cause problems.

How much gas is in the tank? I know this sounds like a stupid question but it is very easy to park a bike that is already low on fuel and the fuel to evaporate leaving it with not enough to run.

I have also forgot to switch back to the main portion of the tank after fueling and when I ran out of gas I was completly out and the bike wouldn't run... I know that I am not the only one that has done this although most won't admit it.
2 maybe 3 quarts of gas, i put some in when i started this whole thing. needed some gas for a different bike, the gas is no more than a week old

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I would verify that I am getting fuel to the pump, then test the pump. I have seen the petcocks get plugged.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Probably not the issue but you may want to check the fuel cap on the tank. The cap has a vent to allow air into the tank as the pump pulls fuel out. If the vent is clogged the bike will bog down when you hit the throttle because it builds pressure in the tank and the pump can't pull fuel into the system.

judahls
Tricycles are Cool

Post by judahls »

Herb wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:50 am
I would verify that I am getting fuel to the pump, then test the pump. I have seen the petcocks get plugged.
ive tested the pump by unplugging the outlet hose and pressing the ignition. it does work but only when the ignition is pressed

judahls
Tricycles are Cool

Post by judahls »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:23 am
Probably not the issue but you may want to check the fuel cap on the tank. The cap has a vent to allow air into the tank as the pump pulls fuel out. If the vent is clogged the bike will bog down when you hit the throttle because it builds pressure in the tank and the pump can't pull fuel into the system.
ive ben doing it with the cap off this whole time but ill check that just for good measure

judahls
Tricycles are Cool

Post by judahls »

judahls wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:15 am
Herb wrote:
ive tested the pump by unplugging the outlet hose and pressing the ignition. it does work but only when the ignition is pressed
i got it to run and i checked unplugged the fuel outlet again and if the bike is running the pump is pumping

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Glad it worked out for you. I guess it was the gremlins causing trouble again.

The fuel pumps on these bike are known to become intermittent before they die completely so if you think the pump was the issue it may be time to start looking at a new one. There are plenty of aftermarket ones out there for cheaper than OEM but some people swear by the OEM ones. I had a Chinese knockoff for $25 that worked great for 5 or 6 years until I sold the bike.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

judahls wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:33 am
judahls wrote:
Herb wrote:
i got it to run and i checked unplugged the fuel outlet again and if the bike is running the pump is pumping
So it's running properly now or are you back to square one where it's idling but not revving?

judahls
Tricycles are Cool

Post by judahls »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:57 pm
judahls wrote:
judahls wrote:
Herb wrote:
So it's running properly now or are you back to square one where it's idling but not revving?
back to square one, unfortunately. but why would the pump only run when the bike is running *edit. ON is a bad word*

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

judahls wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:12 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:57 pm
judahls wrote:
judahls wrote:
Herb wrote:
back to square one, unfortunately. but why would the pump only run when the bike is ON
That's how it works. Safety feature - so if you crash and the fuel line ruptures the pump doesn't keep pumping fuel onto a hot engine....