Stripped screw on battery

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 800

Stripped screw on battery

Post by Celtics1 »

Hi everyone,
I’m trying to remove the battery to put it on the tender, but I’m having trouble with getting the positive/negative leads off. I’ve taken the battery in and out a few times so I’ve done this before, but this time it seems as though the screw is completely frozen with the lead.
I’ve tried regular screwdrivers, hand impact drivers, cleaning the corrosion and WD-40. It’s very tight on the negative side so there isn’t a ton of room to get in there.
In the process I’ve managed to strip the screw pretty decently, and I’m getting no movement from it as it seems almost fused to the lead behind it. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you! Currently trying to figure out how to post pictures

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Re: Stripped screw on battery

Post by Celtics1 »

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Cut the wires as close to the terminal as you can then re crimp new terminals on. This will get the battery out and let you start anew.

There is a connection for a battery tender next to the fuse box under the left side cover so you don't need to pull the battery. Just hook up the lead and tie wrap it into place somewhere that is convenient.

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

Thank you I appreciate the help!
When you say to cut the wires as close to the terminal as possible, is that right where the metal terminal itself meets the wire? I’m sorry for the lack of knowledge haha, I’m trying to learn as I go.
Thank you for the info about the connection by the fuse box!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Yes right where the wire goes into the metal fitting. Here's the thing replacing the terminals on occasion is not a bad idea because corrosion can build up in the connection. If you are absolutely sure you can't get the bolts out it is an option. If you are still planning to reuse the battery you will still have to get the bolts out before you put it back in.

Have you tried using a manual impact driver? NOTE: I have never used one on a battery and it may (could, would) damage the battery. Either way you are going to need one eventually so it may be a good time to pick one up. It is a great tool to have around.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-imp ... 64812.html

Add the correct socket and an extension then tap the handle with a small mallet. It will knock it loose but then there is the chance of damaging the battery.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

You could also try pulling the regulator rectifier off, or just dropping it down, to give you better access to the bolt.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Forgot one thing. Before you cut the wires pull the main fuse (25 amp) to protect the system in case you ark something. NOTE: the battery will still have power.
navigator wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:29 am

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

Thank you to everyone! I did try the manual impact driver, that exact one from harbor freight actually haha. The problem with that is it seems there isn’t enough sort of “pushback” to get a solid drive.
I was using that but with every hammer smack, the battery would sort of wiggle into the remaining space of the battery compartment. I’m gonna give it another go tomorrow, and maybe try to brace the battery somehow to make it more solid for the impact driver. Definitely going to give all these another shot and try to protect the battery as much as possible. Great idea to pull the regulator first, that’s very much in my way lol.
Thank you for the heads up about pulling the fuse, I appreciate al the help

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Another thought. Most of these batteries use a steel bolt and and steel nut to secure the battery the lead on the battery would not stop you from turning the bolt. When you get it back together put some Dielectric grease on the connections to keep it from seizing it up again.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Before you cut anything...
use a deep 10mm socket on the screws with a breaker bar.
Then replace the bolts.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Navigator is the resident expert on the VS800s.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

[quote=navigator post_id=217147 time=1670016627 user_id=2235]
Then replace the bolts.
[/quote]

Hopefully you don't rip the terminal clean off :ShitGrin:

And don't use an impact hammer on a battery - you will FUBAR it real quick.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:02 pm
navigator wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:30 pm
Then replace the bolts.

I use the impact on everything!!!!!!!! Just Kidding, I don't but if I was getting rid of the battery I would use it.

I am still trying to figure out how those bolts are stuck that tight. Can they weld themselves into place?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:10 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
navigator wrote:
Then replace the bolts.

I use the impact on everything!!!!!!!! Just Kidding, I don't but if I was getting rid of the battery I would use it.

I am still trying to figure out how those bolts are stuck that tight. Can they weld themselves into place?
If the cables are loose the terminal can arc and get pretty hot. Normally the battery terminal post will melt before the terminal on the wire as it is lead. And that's kinda obvious to spot. The bolts may have got acid on them - which can freeze them up.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:13 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:10 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
navigator wrote:
Then replace the bolts.

If the cables are loose the terminal can arc and get pretty hot. Normally the battery terminal post will melt before the terminal on the wire as it is lead. And that's kinda obvious to spot. The bolts may have got acid on them - which can freeze them up.
Another reason to add more star washers. :cheers:

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

After a while of letting the PB blaster sit, I was able to get a deep socket in there and break it loose.

It seems like last time I took it out I forgot to add the star washers back on - so lesson absolutely learned on that one. Battery seems to be okay for now, I have it on the charger and will try and fire the bike up once it’s all set. Going to replace the screws and get some washers lol.

Appreciate the help from everyone!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Glad it worked out for you.

The star washer thing is true but kind of a joke left over from the 'Purple Board' (the old IntruderAlert forum). Whenever something needed to be fixed the first step was adding Star Washers because they fix everything.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The real reason for star washers is :
On that particular battery the terminals are blocks held in place by vertical bolts.
If the horizontal bolts going through the cables are one thread too long, they will bottom out on the vertical bolts, hence leaving a space at the cable and causing a plethora of problems.
You can grind the bolts shorter to be sure they grab the cable or add star washers which will fill the gap and bite into the surfaces.
That, and they indeed do fix everything. :ShitGrinandThumb: