Battery swap opinion needed

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Battery swap opinion needed

Post by DonGee »

I'm actually looking for opinions not so much on which battery, but when to swap it. I live in MA and I don't enjoy riding in even 50 degree days, so after this lovely weekend coming up, I'll likely be putting the bike in storage for the winter on Monday or Tuesday. I'm awaiting delivery tomorrow of a new Motobatt AGM battery to replace the Yuasa lead acid that came with my '05 S50 when I bought it and which is starting to have some difficulty taking a full charge.

So here's my question. Should I/would you:

A. Charge up the Yuasa as needed for the weekend and just ride with it, then pull it and leave no battery in the bike for the winter...

-or-

B. Install the new Motobatt as soon as it arrives and use it for the last couple days of riding.

If the consensus is A, then is there any benefit to keep the new battery in the house until next season rather than just install it next week and put a tender on it occasionally during the winter?

As I'm writing this I'm realizing I'm probably way over-thinking this. But now that I've written it out, I might as well hear your thoughts if you're so inclined. Thanks.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Battery swap opinion needed

Post by sgtcall »

IMO: Install the new battery and add a battery tender lead to it. Keep it on the battery tender during the winter. You can also hook up the tender lead in the fuse box, there are connections there for it. Keeping the new battery all winter without it hooked up could degrade the battery.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Post by DonGee »

Thanks. If I were to just bring the new one in the house for the winter, I'd still put it on the tender regularly. I wasn't sure if just being in a warmer, controlled environment with be a little better overall. And like I said, I wouldn't need to deal with running an extension cord out to the shed.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

DonGee wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:45 pm
Thanks. If I were to just bring the new one in the house for the winter, I'd still put it on the tender regularly. I wasn't sure if just being in a warmer, controlled environment with be a little better overall. And like I said, I wouldn't need to deal with running an extension cord out to the shed.
Being inside would be better.