Horn switch

Billiam4201
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1990 Vs1400

Horn switch

Post by Billiam4201 »

The Horn on my wifes 96 vs 800 is not working. There is power at the horn itself and everything else on the switch seems to be in working order. I have taken the switch apart and cleaned it and still no luck. I bought a new horn and still nothing. I was trying to find a new switch and have had no luck. Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Would the switch for a 1400 be compatible? Any help would be appreciated.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Re: Horn switch

Post by Acton67 »

Billiam4201 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:22 am
The Horn on my wifes 96 vs 800 is not working. There is power at the horn itself and everything else on the switch seems to be in working order. I have taken the switch apart and cleaned it and still no luck. I bought a new horn and still nothing. I was trying to find a new switch and have had no luck. Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Would the switch for a 1400 be compatible? Any help would be appreciated.
Isn't there a fuse for the horn? Check that maybe? The switch for the 1400 is the same style, I use a 1400 switch on my 800. I know the horn switch is a grounding switch, just because the switch itself has continuity doesn't mean it's getting to ground when on the bike I think.

I'm a novice but I've done a lot of work on my bike over the last 2 years with a lot of help from the more senior members here so you definitely made it to the right place. These are the things I would look into personally until a more senior member chimes in. Just trying to pay it forward and learn a thing or two. I use an aftermarket horn with a separate relay to give the horn more power. The whole circuit is really simple, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

There is no dedicated fuse for the horn circuit.

Acton67 is correct in that the horn switch is a grounding switch. You need to check the switch has continuity to ground when it is pressed. If not then check the wiring out of the switchblock to see that it is properly connected to ground.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

My horn stopped working and I tried a whole bunch of things, finally found out that the ground wire in the headlight bucket had come loose. Just before the horn stopped working I had changed the headlight bulb. Considering that the room in there is not really enough I think that I had been pushing the wires around to get the headlight back in and must have pulled it apart.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:40 pm
There is no dedicated fuse for the horn circuit.

Acton67 is correct in that the horn switch is a grounding switch. You need to check the switch has continuity to ground when it is pressed. If not then check the wiring out of the switchblock to see that it is properly connected to ground.
Yeah I had a feeling that I was wrong about the horn having a fuse. Thanks for the correction.