How to mount this crash bar?

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

How to mount this crash bar?

Post by Acton67 »

Got this cheap on ebay, not sure if it'll work with my forward controls either. Trying to figure out how to mount it. Do I rotate the bracket 90 degrees and then bolt it under the peg bracket or? I've seen a few of these on ebay for the VS800 used... If I can't get it to work it won't be a big deal. As a newer rider that just painted my bike I figured a crash bar might be a good idea.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: How to mount this crash bar?

Post by Designer »

Wellsir, as I see it,....that Unit you show won't provide much protection.

I'm sure you see that it is a "Highway Peg" bar. And if you have an accident ( God Forbid! ) where that Bike gets laid down at speed, it will fold in like a Cheap Lawn Chair on you.

A Crash Bar needs at least Two Frame Mounting Points in order to provide the protection of your Legs/Feet/Bike/Etc.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:48 am

I'm sure you see that it is a "Highway Peg" bar. And if you have an accident ( God Forbid! ) where that Bike gets laid down at speed, it will fold in like a Cheap Lawn Chair on you.

A Crash Bar needs at least Two Frame Mounting Points in order to provide the protection of your Legs/Feet/Bike/Etc.
I do agree that a traditional crash bar would be more effective but I'm just looking for something to protect the bike if I low side at a low speed or the bike falls over when standing. Similar to these. I've seen youtubers recommend "crash pegs" like these if you plan to practice low speed maneuvers. I'd like to practice swerving and emergency braking in 2nd gear. I'll be going 30 tops.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:10 pm
Designer wrote:

I do agree that a traditional crash bar would be more effective but I'm just looking for something to protect the bike if I low side at a low speed or the bike falls over when standing. Similar to these. I've seen youtubers recommend "crash pegs" like these if you plan to practice low speed maneuvers. I'd like to practice swerving and emergency braking in 2nd gear. I'll be going 30 tops.

Honestly wouldn't feel too comfortable riding around on a bike that had a few extra protrusions like that on it. Proper crash bars are rounded tube affairs that won't either dig into the road...or heaven forbid your body....in the event of a lay down.

Something like this:

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

hillsy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:40 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:10 pm
Designer wrote:

Honestly wouldn't feel too comfortable riding around on a bike that had a few extra protrusions like that on it. Proper crash bars are rounded tube affairs that won't either dig into the road...or heaven forbid your body....in the event of a lay down.

Something like this:

Alright, you guys win. I really like that one actually. Not as big as some of the other crash bars out there. Think it'll fit an Intruder? Looks like the pictured bike has a radiator like the intruder.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

That was just the first pic I found on Google - it's actually for a HD Street.

Won't be a bolt on fit but you could maybe modify the mount brackets?

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

hillsy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:02 pm
That was just the first pic I found on Google - it's actually for a HD Street.

Won't be a bolt on fit but you could maybe modify the mount brackets?
Took a closer look and not sure how I could fit those on. With my forward controls not sure how I'll be able to fit a Crash Bar on. I like those because they're small and can be mounted on the down tube above the forward controls. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Yeah I don't think you're going to have much luck mounting a crash bar with those forward controls.

Unless of course you go back to "mid" controls (IE: stock) and then mount a crash bar?

Or maybe this style would clear the controls??

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:46 pm
Took a closer look and not sure how I could fit those on. With my forward controls not sure how I'll be able to fit a Crash Bar on. I like those because they're small and can be mounted on the down tube above the forward controls. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
When I envision those Foot Peg Bars you posted on your Bike,... I foresee a Whole-lotta problems with fitment and then Safe Accessibility/Working with your Forward Controls.

And even if they were fitted, their placement would render them virtually an "Non-Player" when it came to the protection you are seeking.

Might I suggest you investigate a Different Tack if that Crash Protection is of Import to you?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The OEM engine guard (aka.crash bar) is rather narrow and looks like this:
https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/part ... vs800.html

There are wider ones available aftermarket similar to this:
https://www.metalroute.pl/product-eng-2 ... RUDER.html

However, both will interfere with those FC3 forward controls.
They were made for stock mid controls.

Adapting Harley or other brands will not be a bolt on installation. I have never seen the highway peg bar that you have pictured, nor can I see how it would easily mount to a VS800.