Neutral Starter Relay Switch

stalbody
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 97 VS800 Intruder

Neutral Starter Relay Switch

Post by stalbody »

So I'm trying to figure out if I can replace the relay, OEM part, with a different relay. I see others on Amazon and elsewhere that will definitely fit but annotate a 30 amp or 40 amp. Looking at the Clymer's Manual I don't find anything to note the amperage. It's real annoying because this might be the piece to fix my starting issue as I've went through so much already, replaced the kill switch, starter solenoid, and battery.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Neutral Starter Relay Switch

Post by hillsy »

Why do you want to use a different solenoid? You can get a replacement VS one on eBay for under $15.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Sorry - just realized you must mean the side stand relay?

You can bypass both the side stand and clutch switches by connecting /jumpering the wires. This will tell you if the relay is the problem....and you can just leave them jumpered if you like. It's not a high load relay like the solenoid - it is just a switching relay.

BTW - what are the symptoms for your starting issue?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I jumpered the start relay on my 1400. The bike will start in gear. no big deal as far as I am concerned. The 1400 is the first bike I had with any kind of start "safety" system and never had an issue with bikes without one.

I see it as something that shouldn't be needed if a person pays attention to what they are doing.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

stalbody
Tricycles are Cool

Post by stalbody »

So it's not the side stand relay, this is the one that's underneath the passenger seat.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

stalbody wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:01 am
So it's not the side stand relay, this is the one that's underneath the passenger seat.
That's what I understood you meant. To save money, I would go with either a used one, or and aftermarket unit.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

stalbody wrote:
So bypass it. No biggie.

Still, what are you're starting problem symptoms? Might be something else.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

stalbody wrote:
???
The side stand relay IS the one under the passenger seat.

Just unplug the wires at the kickstand switch, and jumper them together.
Your problem may also be the neutral safety switch, under the clutch master cylinder....jumper those wires together as well.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

navigator wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:40 pm

???
The side stand relay IS the one under the passenger seat.
Thanks nav for clarifying.

stalbody
Tricycles are Cool

Post by stalbody »

Hillsy and Navigator, I apologize. I must have been going back and forth so much on manuals, videos, and forums. You are correct that is the side stand relay. Ugh I just haven't found an aftermarket one and for a used one I don't have leads to be able to test the relay if I got one or the one I've for that matter. Just haven't had the time.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

stalbody wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:07 am
Hillsy and Navigator, I apologize. I must have been going back and forth so much on manuals, videos, and forums. You are correct that is the side stand relay. Ugh I just haven't found an aftermarket one and for a used one I don't have leads to be able to test the relay if I got one or the one I've for that matter. Just haven't had the time.
No worries :ShitGrinandThumb:

But you can just jumper the leads on both the sidestand switch and clutch switch and this will bypass the relay entirely. If your symptoms still persist after you do this then you know it wasn't the relay. The relay doesn't do anything else in the system so bypassing it just means you can turn the motor over with the sidestand down and in gear.

So, what are your starting issues? If you can tell us what they actually are we might be able to tell you what it might be the likely cause.

stalbody
Tricycles are Cool

Post by stalbody »

Thanks gents, she is firing up again, got a cheap replacement relay on Amazon for like 13 bucks. I might try to bypass it in the future. I'm still learning motorcycle maintenance and it's all that much harder when you're like me and have a tough time in tight spaces.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

An FYI,..when you "jumper" the relay as was recommended,...what that does is "close" the Switch ( or turn it on, if you will ) that activates that circuit that goes through the Relay. ( in this case, it is the Side Stand Switch that is activated by the Kickstand)

If your relay is messed up on the other side ( the circuit at turns on/activates the Starter Motor), performing that "jumper" would not help you out.
You would need to "jumper" those wires ( under the Passenger Seat) ...or replace the Relay,..... as of course,....we see you did. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!