Changing radiator fluid

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Re: Changing radiator fluid

Post by Acton67 »

So I ordered a new sub wiring harness off ebay that came in yesterday to fix my temp light problem. Unfortunately that harness has issues as well. I found yet another harness off ebay off a newer bike but in the meantime I figured I'd attempt to fix my current harness since the only thing wrong with it is the temp light short.

So this wire comes off the temp sensor on the front left head to the "temperature unit" in the speedometer. It's a green and black wire and isn't damaged in any way.

Coming back out of the temperature unit is this pink wire, it travels back down into the harness and joins another pink wire in the harness here.

The other pink wire goes up to the water temp light here.

Further down the main harness the two pink wires connect to this plastic peice that looks similar to an inline fuse(not sure what it really is) and then becomes a green yellow wire.

The other side of the water temp light is the orange wire which I believe is hot.

I believe the short is happening where the green/yellow wire meets the plastic peice, then goes onto be the pink wire. I'm not sure what this plastic peice does or how to repair/replace it.

Also can someone explain to me what the "temperature unit" does and how it functions? To be clear this is the unit that's behind the speedometer, not the temperature switch on the head with the green/black wire coming off it. I suspect that works similarly to a thermostat and opens the switch and provides ground above a certain temperature right?

I was hoping to just replace the whole harness and to be done with this, but it's probably better that I understand what's going on here I guess... :dunno:

BABIS
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by BABIS »

Acton67 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:21 am
Further down the main harness the two pink wires connect to this plastic peice that looks similar to an inline fuse(not sure what it really is) and then becomes a green yellow wire.
it looks like a diode, you should test it with a tester
We declare that the splendour of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

BABIS wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:56 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:21 am
it looks like a diode, you should test it with a tester
I think you're right - looks like a black cylinder with a silver / gray stripe on one end which looks like a diode.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

Ended up replacing the while harness for $30 which fixed the problem. Thanks guys.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

:ShitGrinandThumb:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

thanks for letting us know how it turned out.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.