Re: Neutral light stuck on?

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:50 am
Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:44 am
Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:31 pm
The Blue wire is also going into the main harness at the same spot. So two wires must be damaged for this issue to occur. The Blue wire and either the green or the black/white wire correct? Because the blue wire needs to get to ground through one of those wires?
Yes, I saw that the Blue Wire in the video you posted goes up into the Main Harness. From what I gathered from our past Trouble-Shooting discussion, it is the Blue Wire in the assembly that goes to the Grounding Neutral Switch. Since this Video Test shows that the Assembly is disconnected, the short in the Blue Neutral Switch Wire must be up into the Main Harness. It could be a short-to-Frame,...but I'll bet it is most likely to one of the Black/White Ground wires. Could also be affecting other wires also.

At this point, I'd be tracing that Blue Neutral Switch wire all the way back to the Gauge myself.
The Blue wire goes to the diode, it's part number 36611-38A10. Looking in the manual or wiring diagram doesn't really give me any indication on where to find it. My plan is to cut the blue wire coming out of the diode, splice in a new wire and then run that to the connector coming off the main harness that connects to the neutral switch and splice it back in there rather then cutting open the main harness to repair the original wire and potentially damaging other wires. I just need to locate the diode....
Are you sure this Blue Wire in the Main Harness is the one that goes to the Neutral Switch? It does seem to be a LIGHT Blue color.

Is the Blue Wire in the Assembly DARK Blue?...and does the Blue Assembly wire ( in the white connector ) connect to that Light Blue Harness wire?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:23 am
Acton67 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:50 am
Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:44 am
Acton67 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:31 pm
The Blue wire is also going into the main harness at the same spot. So two wires must be damaged for this issue to occur. The Blue wire and either the green or the black/white wire correct? Because the blue wire needs to get to ground through one of those wires?
Yes, I saw that the Blue Wire in the video you posted goes up into the Main Harness. From what I gathered from our past Trouble-Shooting discussion, it is the Blue Wire in the assembly that goes to the Grounding Neutral Switch. Since this Video Test shows that the Assembly is disconnected, the short in the Blue Neutral Switch Wire must be up into the Main Harness. It could be a short-to-Frame,...but I'll bet it is most likely to one of the Black/White Ground wires. Could also be affecting other wires also.

At this point, I'd be tracing that Blue Neutral Switch wire all the way back to the Gauge myself.
The Blue wire goes to the diode, it's part number 36611-38A10. Looking in the manual or wiring diagram doesn't really give me any indication on where to find it. My plan is to cut the blue wire coming out of the diode, splice in a new wire and then run that to the connector coming off the main harness that connects to the neutral switch and splice it back in there rather then cutting open the main harness to repair the original wire and potentially damaging other wires. I just need to locate the diode....
Are you sure this Blue Wire in the Main Harness is the one that goes to the Neutral Switch? It does seem to be a LIGHT Blue color.

Is the Blue Wire in the Assembly DARK Blue?...and does the Blue Assembly wire ( in the white connector ) connect to that Light Blue Harness wire?
Yeah it's the same wire. The wire coming off the main harness that connects to the oil pressure sensor is yellow/green is a little suspect but there's no other connectors to connect. The kickstand switch connector is a completely different style connector.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

You should be able to use an ohm meter to find out which wire it is shorting to and which section is shorting.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:33 am
You should be able to use an ohm meter to find out which wire it is shorting to and which section is shorting.
I'm pretty confident it's the blue and black/white wires an inch or two up the Main Harness where the wires turn. The seat must have crunched them possibly. Out of curiosity how would I check this with an ohm meter, a continuity test or...?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

A continuity test. disconnect the wires from both ends, read continuity between the 2 and wiggle them to see if you get continuity. BTW, an analog meter works best for this type of test because the digital meters do not react fast enough to a momentary short. the needle on an analog meter will jump as the wires make contact.

You are probably correct about the 2 because the B/W wire is a ground. You could probably disconnect the diode and put one meter lead on the blue wire on the connector and the other on a good ground and it would show the issue.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Neutral light fixed! Made a bypass from the diode to the blue wire as discussed before. Case closed! Having a similar issue with the temp light too.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6903FPXOU5k?feature=share

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:34 pm
Neutral light fixed! Made a bypass from the diode to the blue wire as discussed before. Case closed!
Terrific! You did it!
Acton67 wrote:
...... Having a similar issue with the temp light too.
That too, is a Grounding Switch. First, of course, is make absolutely sure you have enough oil and a clean filter. Then, since it is intermittent like that, I'd check the Connection at the Switch for looseness and cleanliness. Next, I'd pull the Switch and clean it out on the inside
BTW,....is that a Cooling Air Vent I see in your Shoe? :Umm:

:ShitGrin:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:04 am
Acton67 wrote:
Neutral light fixed! Made a bypass from the diode to the blue wire as discussed before. Case closed!
Terrific! You did it!
Acton67 wrote:
...... Having a similar issue with the temp light too.
That too, is a Grounding Switch. First, of course, is make absolutely sure you have enough oil and a clean filter. Then, since it is intermittent like that, I'd check the Connection at the Switch for looseness and cleanliness. Next, I'd pull the Switch and clean it out on the inside
BTW,....is that a Cooling Air Vent I see in your Shoe? :Umm:

:ShitGrin:
The temp switch is actually to the water cooling system. The oil switch is a different switch coming off the neutral switch that grounds out to the front of the oil pan and to the left of the oil filter. No problems with that switch thankfully.

Navigator was once again correct, wires were pinched entering the indicator panel. Switch is fixed now. Going to be doing the 2000rpm sync on my front carb tomorrow when I finally get a day off then it will be time to ride!!!

And yes that's definitely a cooling vent you see on my shoe, I like to keep my toes well ventilated. :naughty:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:36 am
Navigator was once again correct, wires were pinched entering the indicator panel. Switch is fixed now. Going to be doing the 2000rpm sync on my front carb tomorrow when I finally get a day off then it will be time to ride!!!

And yes that's definitely a cooling vent you see on my shoe, I like to keep my toes well ventilated. :naughty:
So Bro! What The Happenings? Clue is all in on your Successes. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:06 am
Acton67 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:36 am

So Bro! What The Happenings? Clue is all in on your Successes. :ShitGrinandThumb:
I'm getting a local company to replicate the oem decals on the side covers and tank. Otherwise I'm on the road and riding!

exponents copy and paste

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

WOOT!!!! :ShitGrinandThumb: