My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Few different issues

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:50 pm
Designer wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 1974 2:02 pm
Being cheap is not the correct way.
It's not so much about just being cheap - it's also about versatility.
No,..it's about being cheap.

You mentioned PRICE,...and based on PRICE, you continue to promote a using a Syringe,...an item that is Clearly NOT designed for the MECHANICAL work needing to be done.

Now,...for the sake of helping Acton67 out,...please stop your campaigning for a..."butter knife"... solution where a "Screw Driver" is The Specifically Designed,...and Correct tool.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:58 pm
hillsy wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:50 pm
Designer wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 1974 2:02 pm
Being cheap is not the correct way.
It's not so much about just being cheap - it's also about versatility.
No,..it's about being cheap.

You mentioned PRICE,...and based on PRICE, you continue to promote a using a Syringe,...an item that is Clearly NOT designed for the MECHANICAL work needing to be done.

Now,...for the sake of helping Acton67 out,...please stop your campaigning for a..."butter knife"... solution where a "Screw Driver" is The Specifically Designed,...and Correct tool.
Have you got shares in Mity Vac or something? :lmao:

A syringe does the SAME JOB.....except.....it does TWICE THE JOB :ShitGrinandThumb:

Like I said - I've been using syringes for 20 years now (probably longer actually). Ever since Kiwi Ken (one of our old shop mechanics) showed me how to use one for bleeding brakes I've never had to use anything else since.

But by all means - keep telling people to buy stuff they don't need. You're good at that :clap:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

BTW, Harbor freight has a cheaper unit that works as well as the MV... If cost is the issue.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:07 pm

BTW, Harbor freight has a cheaper unit that works as well as the MV... If cost is the issue.
I actually tried the unit from harbor freight last year, couldn't get it to work.

I get piston syringes free from work and I've seen multiple guys on YouTube use them to reverse bleed so I will try the push pull method first. The first time I did it though I did make a mess. I think there is some sense in what designer is saying too regarding the mitty vac, it's constant suction and will be what I will try if the piston syringe doesn't work. You guys both have good points and obviously know a thing or two about the process. There's multiple ways to do a thing, just agree to disagree. You guys are obviously both good people because you've both taken the time to give your advice to a random guy like me on the internet and I appreciate it. I don't want this thread to turn into another axel grease thread, not taking shots at either of you guys here. Just chill out guys.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 pm
I actually tried the unit from harbor freight last year, couldn't get it to work.

I get piston syringes free from work and I've seen multiple guys on YouTube use them to reverse bleed so I will try the push pull method first. The first time I did it though I did make a mess. I think there is some sense in what designer is saying too regarding the mitty vac, it's constant suction and will be what I will try if the piston syringe doesn't work. You guys both have good points and obviously know a thing or to about the process. There's multiple ways to do a thing, just agree to disagree. You guys are obviously both good people because you've both taken the time to give your advice to a random guy like me on the internet and I appreciate it. I don't want this thread to turn into another axel grease thread, not taking shots at either of you guys here. Just chill out guys.
Thank you for your patience with this needless bickering.

While I have no experience with the Harbor Freight Tool, I can assure you,.. as do many tens of thousands of Mechanics, that the Mity Vac Tool works well Right Out Of The Box,...and,....is not anywhere's near as messy as is the Syringe Method is.

Do remember, that reverse bleed method will push the air up into the Banjo Fitting. And being a pressurized method, is more prone to leaking at the valve, even with Tape. The Tape tends to break down it's seal every time you turn the Bleeder Screw. So it's good to minimize Opening/Closing of it.

I find that the pulling the Fluid method better in that you are not fighting gravity by pushing the the Fluid Up. The Air will always rise, and thus the need to clear the Banjo Fitting will be there using either method.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Acton67 wrote:
Herb wrote:

I get piston syringes free from work and I've seen multiple guys on YouTube use them to reverse bleed so I will try the push pull method first. The first time I did it though I did make a mess. I think there is some sense in what designer is saying too regarding the mitty vac, it's constant suction and will be what I will try if the piston syringe doesn't work. You guys both have good points and obviously know a thing or two about the process. There's multiple ways to do a thing, just agree to disagree. You guys are obviously both good people because you've both taken the time to give your advice to a random guy like me on the internet and I appreciate it. I don't want this thread to turn into another axel grease thread, not taking shots at either of you guys here. Just chill out guys.
Sorry to hear that you had a problem with the HF unit. I am on my second one, the first one a friend of mine dropped a jack on...

I have used them a number number of times on cars, trucks and bikes with no problem.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Herb wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:33 pm
Acton67 wrote:
Herb wrote:

Sorry to hear that you had a problem with the HF unit. I am on my second one, the first one a friend of mine dropped a jack on...

I have used them a number number of times on cars, trucks and bikes with no problem.
I've moved since then, can't remember where it is. For whatever reason it wasn't pulling fluid, something was wrong with the container causing it to not create a vacuum. Bad o ring I think.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:41 pm
Herb wrote:
Sorry to hear that you had a problem with the HF unit. I am on my second one, the first one a friend of mine dropped a jack on...I have used them a number number of times on cars, trucks and bikes with no problem.
I've moved since then, can't remember where it is. For whatever reason it wasn't pulling fluid, something was wrong with the container causing it to not create a vacuum. Bad o ring I think.
I just checked my Mity Vac Unit, ( just like the inexpensive one I posted the Link To for you) and you will be pleased to know that the Cup creates a Fool Proof seal without and "O" ring. You'll get easy-to-use clean, non-messy results in A Jiffy from it's use. :bow:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

If you aren't confident reverse bleeding with the syringe you can use it like a Mity Vac and just draw the fluid out.

That's kinda the beauty of it - works for both methods.

Key thing if you use either is to get teflon tape on the bleeder threads - otherwise if you are drawing the fluid out you will suck air through the threads and into the hose which makes you think you need to keep bleeding. You need at least two complete winds of tape to have an effective seal.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Just to make things easier for you,...here a video of how to get success with the Mity Vac the first time.

Brake Bleed Video

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Ended up using both methods. Clutch and brakes appear to be working now. Will need to wait a few days to see final results. The front brake appears to be way stiffer now.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:03 pm
Ended up using both methods. Clutch and brakes appear to be working now. Will need to wait a few days to see final results. The front brake appears to be way stiffer now.
:ShitGrinandThumb:

If you are waiting a few days then tie the brake lever back to the bars overnight. This pressurizes the fluid and helps bring any air up to the top. Then when you let the lever go the air will be pushed back into the reservoir.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:03 pm
Given the Height your new Bars,...I must say,....I'm not surprised you did both methods of bleeding .

Did you try the Master Cylinder, micro-bubble removal method?

Bubbles that appear are often tiny,...but numerous,....enough so that when done,...you can feel the difference. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzuki intruder vs800

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Hey guys I'm looking at these extended hoses he's got send I was wondering where to get some? I just bought some 14"apes for my 98' vs800 but can't find any extended lines...
“If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle!!”

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Kingkoa1 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:56 am
Hey guys I'm looking at these extended hoses he's got send I was wondering where to get some? I just bought some 14"apes for my 98' vs800 but can't find any extended lines...
For the hydraulic hose, go to an industrial supplier like Omni or Caterpillar. they can make you teflon lined hoses with the proper 10mm banjo fittings, Any place that makes hydraulic hoses for plows, tractors, etc.
For the throttle cable go to any bicycle shop, they can make a cable that will go from the grip to the splitter under the tank.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

When making up a new clutch hose the orientation of the banjo couplings should be 90deg to each other when laid out.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzuki intruder vs800

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Thanks brother
“If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle!!”