Greasing rear & front axels?

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Greasing rear & front axels?

Post by Acton67 »

Took off my rims today, going to be switching to new rims. Should I re-grease the axel at all, and if yes with what type of grease?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Greasing rear & front axels?

Post by hillsy »

Very lightly grease them - it's more to stop corrosion than anything else as the axle doesn't move / has nothing moving directly on it.

I use a high temp bearing grease as my regular workshop grease - pretty much use that on everything except where you specifically need special grease types.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I always clean and use a light coating of wheel bearing grease to cut down on corrosion and having the axel be hard to remove the next time.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

Thanks for the tips guys.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Not knowing how many miles you ride a year........(read: how many years before you replace your tires)...I recommend using Marine-grade Never Seize or water-proof Bearing Grease ( for Boat Trailers mostly) .

Light Greasing can fail you,...as time and moisture can cause problems as it might not be Waterproof Grease.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You could use a dab of Never Seez on the threads of the bolt if you wanted to but you shouldn't use it on the axle shaft. Gets way too messy for one and second ordinary grease is fine for that application - the tolerance is not small enough to warrant an anti-seize.

Most service manuals suggest a lithium soap based grease.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:44 pm
Not knowing how many miles you ride a year........(read: how many years before you replace your tires)...I recommend using Marine-grade Never Seize or water-proof Bearing Grease ( for Boat Trailers mostly) .

Light Greasing can fail you,...as time and moisture can cause problems as it might not be Waterproof Grease.
Never had a problem with the axles and they always came out with a light coating of grease.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

When living in a climate that begets you Riding in Rain and lots of Higher Humidity, it is Cheap Insurance to use what I suggested. Especially if you do not ride much and the Bike can sit for a while,...and thus, it is years between Tires Changes. And that possibility is an Unknown. I had a friend who encountered some sudden personal Life-problems, and parked his 1400 for many years. Rust was a problem when he got Back To Riding again.

I do not see any negatives with using the product(s) I mentioned,....what harm would it do? :dunno:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The axles themselves reside in a sealed environment. A light coating of grease is more than enough to protect them.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:37 am
The axles themselves reside in a sealed environment. A light coating of grease is more than enough to protect them.
Ditto, I use a light coat of wheel bearing grease.
Easy and cheap. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Well,...not always.

As I mentioned,...the water from Rain Riding had worked it's way into the small area between the Axle and the Spacers/Rear Brake Mounting Bracket, etc. and had removed the grease put there.

Again,....tell us all,...what are any negatives so bad that would preclude using Water-proof Grease or Water-proof Never-Seize against the unknown possibilities mentioned? :Umm:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:22 am
Well,...not always.

As I mentioned,...the water from Rain Riding had worked it's way into the small area between the Axle and the Spacers/Rear Brake Mounting Bracket, etc. and had removed the grease put there.

Again,....tell us all,...what are any negatives so bad that would preclude using Water-proof Grease or Water-proof Never-Seize against the unknown possibilities mentioned? :Umm:
Main problem is I don't have it around because I don't normally need it and need to make a special run to buy it and I use very little of it. The remainder sits around until it gets knocked off of a shelf and spilled or gets dirt in it.

Too cheap to spend the money when I don't need to.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Well,...not always.

You could use pretty much anything on the axles if you really wanted to - but grease is the preferred / recommended choice.

Anti-seize compounds used to contain nickel - and were carcinogenic - but nowadays they are aluminium / copper / graphite combinations and deemed harmless.

The biggest problem with them is they seem to get on everything you touch - once you open the tube it magically gets everywhere (there's a bunch of memes out there that make fun of this - but they're funny cause they're kinda true). If you've ever worked in a shop and you've taken a wheel off a customer bike where they've used never seize on the axles you will curse the earth they walk on forever.

The other thing is I have no idea how grease can get "removed" from inside the axle area? Seriously - it's sealed by the axle compressing the spacers together with the wheel bearings. At the very least you might get some water in there - but enough to remove the grease?

Maybe you should use Maxima Chain Wax (chain lube) on your axles if that is your problem because that shit doesn't come off ANYTHING without a two day fight.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:18 pm
Designer wrote:
Well,...not always.
You could use pretty much anything on the axles if you really wanted to - but grease is the preferred / recommended choice.
Yes,...and I recommended Waterproof Bearing GREASE. Thank you backing what I said up. :bow:
hillsy wrote:
The biggest problem with them is they seem to get on everything you touch - once you open the tube it magically gets everywhere (there's a bunch of memes out there that make fun of this - but they're funny cause they're kinda true). If you've ever worked in a shop and you've taken a wheel off a customer bike where they've used never seize on the axles you will curse the earth they walk on forever.
Funny,...Grease can do the same thing,..IF you are not mindful it can and do not wipe it off your hands and control it's spread.
hillsy wrote:
The other thing is I have no idea how grease can get "washed away" from inside the axle area? Seriously - it's sealed by the axle compressing the spacers together with the wheel bearings. At the very least you might get some water in there - but enough to wash away the grease?
That you are not living where one can often find themselves riding long distances in driving rain I can see why you'd say this.
hillsy wrote:
Maybe you should use Maxima Chain Wax (chain lube) on your axles if that is your problem because that shit doesn't come off ANYTHING without a two day fight.
Why do that to yourself when Water=Proof Bearing Grease works just fine,.and,...you do not have to....Fight With It to remove it?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You were asking why shouldn't you use anti-seize on the axle and 3 people here have said they don't use it.

I've given you some reasons as to why it's not the best thing to use as well.

I'm not sure what you are arguing about now.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Another simple thread fucked up.

BTW, a friend of mine used STP oil treatment on the axles. Worked quite well.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Axle grease works wonders. I used to use Neversneeze when I worked the North Sea rigs, you would not believe the places that shit can get to. I've ended up looking like a Cyberman on more than one occasion.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:50 pm
You were asking why shouldn't you use anti-seize on the axle and 3 people here have said they don't use it. I've given you some reasons as to why it's not the best thing to use as well. I'm not sure what you are arguing about now.
hillsy,...you are once again Dragging Down another Tech Thread with your Side-show Bickering and Arguments.
And,....you are mistaken about this underlined statement

I have stated quite clearly the suggestion to use Water-proof Grease in my First Message.
Designer wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:44 pm
This makes Three (3) Good Tech Threads you have defecated on with your "attitude".
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13484&start=114
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13519&start=28

What is WRONG with you?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

That's great but you also suggested never seize.

Bad idea.

And for the record I didn't shit in this thread - you did. And you're still crapping by the looks of it.