Longer brake and clutch lines?

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Longer brake and clutch lines?

Post by Acton67 »

Anyone know how I can get them for this bike? Would love to run apes. Lengthening the switch wires shouldn't be difficult, I've found discussions here on how to get a longer throttle cable (bicycle shop), can't find anything on longer clutch brake lines though. Toying with the idea..

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Longer brake and clutch lines?

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:58 pm
Anyone know how I can get them for this bike? Would love to run apes. Lengthening the switch wires shouldn't be difficult, I've found discussions here on how to get a longer throttle cable (bicycle shop), can't find anything on longer clutch brake lines though. Toying with the idea..
You would probably need to get them made up depending on how high your apes are. You can also buy braided line and fittings to DIY if you feel comfortable doing that.

Not sure if these will be long enough but I used pit bike braided brake lines on my bike when I changed out the calipers - they measured the right length. Full size dirt bike lines would be longer - maybe measure what you need length wise and search eBay?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Find a custom car or motorcycle shop and they should be able to make you a set. You will need to give them the old lines so they can match the fittings. Dealer shops now days deal in mostly OEM parts so you can't get a custom length.

Years ago, I had some made at a tractor repair shop.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:11 pm
Find a custom car or motorcycle shop and they should be able to make you a set. You will need to give them the old lines so they can match the fittings. Dealer shops now days deal in mostly OEM parts so you can't get a custom length.

Years ago, I had some made at a tractor repair shop.
This^^^
Also any hydraulic shop that makes hoses for plows and heavy equipment can do it.
Use teflon lined hoses.
https://www.omniservices.com/store-locations/ made a clutch line for me. They were able to silver solder the metal portion of the stock line to a new hose, with a swivel 10mm banjo for the master cylinder. I reused the metal by the slave cylinder due to clearance constraints.
As a note, there is a junction under the tank in the clutch line so you can just replace the top....I opted for full length.
also there is a splitter in the throttle cable, if you just want to do the top.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Acton67 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:58 pm
Lengthening the switch wires shouldn't be difficult
Your post here jogged me to post a "how to" on that...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13519

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

There is a product line in which you can make your own Custom-length Stainless Steel Braided Hydraulic Lines. It's the only one I used for all my Hydraulic lines.

This came in especially handy when making one for the Rear Brake that had to fit inside the Chrome Support/Heat Protector "tube" on the 1400.

I also made my own Custom-length Throttle Cables (with the Braided Stainless Steel look) using Mountain Bike Cables and Screwed-on Barrels Ends.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:49 am
There is a product line in which you can make your own Custom-length Stainless Steel Braided Hydraulic Lines. It's the only one I used for all my Hydraulic lines.

This came in especially handy when making one for the Rear Brake that had to fit inside the Chrome Support/Heat Protector "tube" on the 1400.

I also made my own Custom-length Throttle Cables (with the Braided Stainless Steel look) using Mountain Bike Cables and Screwed-on Barrels Ends.
What's the name of the product line you're referring too?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:31 am
Designer wrote:
There is a product line in which you can make your own Custom-length Stainless Steel Braided Hydraulic Lines. It's the only one I used for all my Hydraulic lines. This came in especially handy when making one for the Rear Brake that had to fit inside the Chrome Support/Heat Protector "tube" on the 1400. I also made my own Custom-length Throttle Cables (with the Braided Stainless Steel look) using Mountain Bike Cables and Screwed-on Barrels Ends.
The company I used is BSR AEROTEK. BUT!...it seems they are no longer in business!

That's a CRIME,...because with their product, I could buy their hose in a roll,...cut their Hose to length,... and put on any of two-three dozen shapes, sizes/finishes (including chrome) onto it.

DAY-UM! :sad:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

When I lived in SD I replaced the front brake line on my 87 and used an industrial hose shop. The guy made it up while I watched, he used new Teflon lined stainless steel, new banjo fittings, gave me new crush washers, all for less than half the cost of oem.

That hose was still on the bike when I sold it years later.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Acton67 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:31 am
Designer wrote:

What area do you live in? Someone may know a place near you that can make the lines.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

A number of different parts houses can make custom hoses. NAPA used to and I just found this on line :
"Custom Hydraulic Hoses and Hose Repair at O’Reilly Auto Parts
Many O’Reilly store locations can build custom hydraulic hoses using the appropriate Gates hydraulic hose and fittings. You can bring your old or damaged hydraulic hose into one of our participating stores, and a Parts Professional will help you match the hose type, size, and fittings to build the best replacement hose for your application. Some hydraulic hoses may also be able to be repaired by replacing the fittings. You can find a store near you that can help you repair or replace your hydraulic hoses using our store locator."

Dennis Kirk has build your own kits
https://www.denniskirk.com/motorcycle/b ... e-line-kit

Check with local MC dealers and shops, especially those that do customizing work.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:50 pm
A number of different parts houses can make custom hoses. NAPA used to and I just found this on line :
Many O’Reilly store locations can build custom hydraulic hoses using the appropriate Gates hydraulic hose and fittings. You can bring your old or damaged hydraulic hose into one of our participating stores, and a Parts Professional will help you match the hose type, size, and fittings to build the best replacement hose for your application. Some hydraulic hoses may also be able to be repaired by replacing the fittings. You can find a store near you that can help you repair or replace your hydraulic hoses using our store locator."

Check with local MC dealers and shops, especially those that do customizing work.
Dime City Cycles also sell fittings and hoses:

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/brake-an ... parts.html

But if you know the length you want and the banjo angles you should also be able to find something pre-made on eBay heaps cheaper.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:

Well Herb! Those look real close to the BSR Aerotek type of Hose/Fittings I have,...still have some of them too.

What's nice about what you posted is that you can make the length what you want right on the bike, which is really helpful when you are changing Bar Height/Putting on Forward Controls, etc. and the Hose length will be different than what you have as a sample.

But also, you can set the Banjo Fittings to the Best Fitting Angle on the Hose,.... so you don't end up with twisting the hose when installed. :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Even a DIY video.....

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:00 pm
Herb wrote:

Well Herb! Those look real close to the BSR Aerotek type of Hose/Fittings I have,...still have some of them too.

What's nice about what you posted is that you can make the length what you want right on the bike, which is really helpful when you are changing Bar Height/Putting on Forward Controls, etc. and the Hose length will be different than what you have as a sample.

But also, you can set the Banjo Fittings to the Best Fitting Angle on the Hose,.... so you don't end up with twisting the hose when installed. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Yeah, but don't make the same mistake a friend of mine did, he made the hose up but he measured it with the bike on the ground. When he went to ride it the hose wouldn't let the forks extend all the way.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Designer wrote:
Herb wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:11 pm
Designer wrote:

Yeah, but don't make the same mistake a friend of mine did, he made the hose up but he measured it with the bike on the ground. When he went to ride it the hose wouldn't let the forks extend all the way.
I've heard of that happening too. Back on the Purple Board, I made a "tutorial" (of sorts) when I was making the Hydraulic Lines while working on the Front Fork Build for Black Thunder and made mention of what you just said. NOT a good situation, eh? That could pull the Fitting right off the line! And if it was at the Caliper, you'd likely never know it!

Of Note, the Hydraulic Lines I used didn't "like' being twisted much. So I took care to make sure the Fittings were tightened down when in "alignment" with where they bolted to. This is a good feature of the Make-Them-Yourself product....as you likely are not going to get that Alignment with lines fabricated at a Shop.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Putting a swivel fitting on the top end eliminates any alignment problems.
Teflon core hoses resist twisting.
As a note, Southworth Milton also make hoses.
https://www.miltoncat.com/

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

navigator wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:52 am
Putting a swivel fitting on the top end eliminates any alignment problems.
Teflon core hoses resist twisting.
As a note, Southworth Milton also make hoses.
https://www.miltoncat.com/
Yes, Swivels certainly will. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Personally, I don't like their appearance, though. And my Experiences with Swivel Fittings on air pressure hoses is that they are the first to leak.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Perhaps I should not have said "swivel". They are more like indexable, tapered face with a swivel nut on the hose. Once you line them up or index them, you tighten the nut and you are done. These are very common on hydraulic lines.
A swivel will rotate under pressure, for convenience, these do not.

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by Acton67 »

Ended up reaching out to the shop Navigator mentioned since I live within 2hrs of that area. They said they could do it. Going to end up making my own custom throttle cable if no bike shops around here will do it. Thanks for all the info guys.