new clutch slave gasket failed

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 VS 800 Intruder

new clutch slave gasket failed

Post by LSU Tiger »

friends, i have a 2000 vs 800 intruder with about 78,000 miles. recently (within six months) i had a new master cylinder and slave cylinder installed. i cranked the bike about a month ago and oil spilled all over my concrete slab in the garage. i trailered the bike to my mechanic friend and he took the oil inlet screw thing off and sniffed it and said i had gas in my crankcase and gas had leaked into the crankcase. so i left the bike at his shop. he called about two hours later and said the problem was the gasket at the slave cylinder did not fit correctly and he was ordering another gasket. what is the best way to get oil off a concrete floor slab? i have most of it up with a paper towel but i do not want to slip and get hurt as the oil is exactly where i always park my bike. thanks. joey broome

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: new clutch slave gasket failed

Post by Designer »

My Gosh! Sorry to hear of your recurring problems!

One inexpensive way to get out Oil Stains is to use Cat Litter. It is pretty good when used as a "sanding/grinding " method.

I pour a small amount on the Stain, and "Grind" it in using my Work Boots by shuffling over it. By shuffling over it, your weight helps pulverizing it, making the granules smaller and they work into the small pores in the Concrete better. And being clay, it does do a nice job of absorbing the remaining "fluid" of the oil stain. I then Vacuum it up and repeat if needed.

Use the Standard Cat Litter, not the clumping.

I do find it odd that your mechanic says the gas problem in your oil comes from a bad Gasket at the Clutch Slave Cylinder.
IIRC,..there is No gasoline that gets anywhere near that Exterior Engine-Case-To-Slave-Cylinder Seal.

The alleged Bad Gasket might be a source of the leaking, ....I cannot fathom it being entry point for Gasoline into the Crankcase..

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

+1, use kitty litter and grind it in with a piece of wood (2x4)
The oil may have come out through the gasket for the slave, but that is not how the gas got in.
Gas in the oil is most likely caused by a sticking float.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You really need to ensure you dump the oil out of the bike if it's got gas in it. If you run the bike with gas-thinned oil you run the risk of doing internal engine damage because the viscosity of the oil will be compromised. And you really need to find out how the gas got in there and have that fixed as well (IE: it's a carb issue).

From memory this bike had stuck clutch plates from sitting? You probably need your friend to go through the carbs as well - as nav said it could be a stuck float but it could also be a perished o ring on the float valve seat. And the carbs are probably due to be cleaned as well anyway.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

thanks. will buy non clumping cat litter. never heard of non clumping cat litter. thanks again. joey broome

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

LSU Tiger wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:14 am
thanks. will buy non clumping cat litter. never heard of non clumping cat litter. thanks again. joey broome
Hi Joey, Hope you are well.

I guess you'd need to have Cats to know there are two different kinds of litter.

The "clumping" kind has a chemical in it to form a more solid "ball" (if you will) around there urine. Thus making it easier to clean their box of their waste. It tends to be more expensive (per pound) and seems to not be quite as absorptive of the Oil you want to get out of the Concrete.

Any Updates on your Intruder? As Navigator adroitly points out,....the typical source of Gas in the Oil is the Carbs. What did they find out?

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Just a short note on the cat litter for oil clean up.

I buy the cheap CLAY type of litter from Dollar Tree. I have found it works the best. I use a brick to rub it in good.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

I used purina tidy cats with glade from family dollar. i borrowed some from my dad as 14 lbs cost about eight dollars. anyway, litter has been on oil on floor since last thursday noon. today is monday 2 pm. concrete floor seemed clean today. when i put it down i used a flat head shovel and rubbed it in with crocks. today i used a brick to rub the area even more. i will let it sit a few more days to absorb more before i sweep it up and give it back to my dad. brick seems to work great. thanks for all in helping me clean this oil off my concrete floor.

james decker, my mechanic, said it was not oil in the crankcase as he had originally diagnosed. james said the clutch slave gasket at crankcase did not seat correctly and that is the source of the oil. he did not say it was at the crankcase. i assumed that.

clutch slave gasket has been ordered and should be installed within days of arriving. i will post again when my bike is running again. thanks. joey broome

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

LSU Tiger wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:34 pm
I used Purina tidy cats with glade from family dollar. I borrowed some from my dad as 14 lbs cost about eight dollars. Anyway, litter has been on oil on floor since last Thursday noon. today is Monday 2 pm. concrete floor seemed clean today. when i put it down I used a flat head shovel and rubbed it in with crocks. Today i used a brick to rub the area even more. I will let it sit a few more days to absorb more before I sweep it up and give it back to my dad. brick seems to work great. Thanks for all in helping me clean this oil off my concrete floor.
Good work!
I had never thought of Herb's suggestion of using a brick to grind the Cat Litter.
My experience is that it works best when it gets pulverized into a Fine Powder so it can be driven into the "pours" of the Concrete.
LSU Tiger wrote:
James Decker, my mechanic, said it was not oil in the crankcase as he had originally diagnosed. James said the clutch slave gasket at crankcase did not seat correctly and that is the source of the oil. he did not say it was at the crankcase. I assumed that.
I think you are meaning Gas in the Oil,...right? Anyways, glad to hear you don't have that problem and avoid any Carburetor work to fix it.
LSU Tiger wrote:
......clutch slave gasket has been ordered and should be installed within days of arriving. I will post again when my bike is running again. thanks. Joey Broome
I am looking forwards to hearing you're All Set and Back On The Road Again. :ShitGrinandThumb:

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

got the intruder from james decker today. running great. feels awesome at 75. what a high. 77,722 miles. ready for another 77 k. thanks for your help. is there any way to check the oil without the sight glass. didn't dr bob from intruders alert have a way from where the oil is put in the crankcase. it is impossible to check the oil on the road by yourself when the bike is hot without help if you use the sight glass. thanks.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

LSU Tiger wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:56 am
got the intruder from james decker today. running great. feels awesome at 75. what a high. 77,722 miles. ready for another 77 k. thanks for your help. is there any way to check the oil without the sight glass. didn't dr bob from intruders alert have a way from where the oil is put in the crankcase. it is impossible to check the oil on the road by yourself when the bike is hot without help if you use the sight glass. thanks.
YAAAAY! :cheers:

This is MOST Excellent news!

Please do post pics of your Rides and where you can now go. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

LSU Tiger wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:56 am
Glad to hear that you are back on the road.

Since I have never had much to do with the 800 I don't know if there is a way to check the oil besides the sight glass.

I suppose you could put some kind of dipstick in.

I remember that one of my early bikes had a separate wire dipstick. It had a loop on the top that sat on the case when the cap was off. You could make one up when you are sure it is full, marking it at the full mark, and judging by the sight glass where a low mark would be.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

You can not put a dipstick into the 800 due to an obstruction.
You can however, put a telescoping mirror in your saddlebag.
About $4 at harbor freight. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Easy to see the level when sitting on the bike.
https://www.harborfreight.com/telescopi ... -7361.html

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

navigator wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:33 am
You can not put a dipstick into the 800 due to an obstruction.
You can however, put a telescoping mirror in your saddlebag.
About $4 at harbor freight. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Easy to see the level when sitting on the bike.
https://www.harborfreight.com/telescopi ... -7361.html
Yeah the mirror is the best. I remember Gary had a flat polished side on the 2-1 he made for the 1500 so you could see the reflection of the sight glass in it.

Also dont have kittens if you check the sight glass when the bike is running and its empty - thats normal.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

i bought a napa service tool professional series 2108 rectangular 2 x 3 inch telescoping mirror for twenty one dollars. i tried it and could not tell how much oil was in the bike while parked in the garage. maybe it will work in sunlight. i put a two two thirds inch brick under the kick stand and got on my knees and the level is to the two full notches. thanks. i guess i need a two and two thirds polymer cube to carry in my bag. or just find a loose brick when i think my oil is running low.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

i went for a ride on my intruder this morning ahead of the front. did about eight miles of twisties and then turned south on a dirt road i have not ridden on in decades. it is paved now and has a name. hancock. mexicans have trailers on both sides for a couple of hundred yards. then tall planted pine trees. as i remembered there is pasture land and a fifties era house on a "creek ridge". more pasture land. then more pines to the west and suddenly the creek is by the road at a swim hole we called chalk bluff when i was a boy. creel boy died here i think. a few drownings. the trees grow up to the edge of the creek bluff. there is a vehicle path following the creek and litter of beer cans and paper. the creek below, about thirty feet, is clear. it looks like you can not jump off the cliff now. the west edge of the creek is not visible below. well, i am scared to get too close to the edge to look as i am afraid the bluff might cave in. i think the creek has a sandbar below and you can not jump off chalk bluff now. and land in the water anyway. there are new motorhomes between the road and the creek where hancock road meets highway 42. my oil spill in the garage was very slick this morning. i bought gas and tried to wipe it up with paper towels and gas. the oil spot is slicker than owl shit right now. joey i waited a while and put all the cat litter i had left in the jug on the oil spill. i spread it aroumd with my croc.[/b] maybe i will not fall and break a hip.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

LSU Tiger wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:57 am
i bought a napa service tool professional series 2108 rectangular 2 x 3 inch telescoping mirror for twenty one dollars. i tried it and could not tell how much oil was in the bike while parked in the garage. maybe it will work in sunlight. i put a two two thirds inch brick under the kick stand and got on my knees and the level is to the two full notches. thanks. i guess i need a two and two thirds polymer cube to carry in my bag. or just find a loose brick when i think my oil is running low.
Hey Joey! You are correct, Sunlight (and lots of it) does it. I have found for the Mirror Idea to work, you need lots of light, and not the kind of light that comes from from overhead. (as is most all interior lighting).

Bricks are a bit on the heavy side. :uhh: I suggest using a piece of wood. I have such a thing in my under-seat "Glove Box" to use when I park on softer surfaces. ( to prevent the Kickstand from sinking and my Chopper going over).

And,...unless you are leaking Oil, all you should needs do is check the Oil Level before you go out Riding. :ShitGrinandThumb:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Check the level before you ride.
Bike vertical, I have no problem with the mirror in the garage, keep it close to the sight glass.
Do not check it while running.
In fact you should wait about 10 minutes after you shut it down, for all the oil to return to the crankcase.

The two marks on the side of the chrome rim are the high and low levels.
After replacing the filter and 3 quarts of oil, it will appear over-filled.
run the engine to fill the filter, shut it down and check again.
It will be at the upper (high) level.
Halfway on the window is acceptable.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

i just checked my oil with the mirror in the shade with the sun shining (about three thirty central time). I could easily see the oil level with the mirror. thanks for the tip. two hundred miles and no apparent oil use after two hundred miles since last oil change with 78,000 on the
odometer.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

:ShitGrinandThumb: