Last at bat with this thing!!. Cycle starting issues/dies Gos issue??

HDR
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder vs800gl

Last at bat with this thing!!. Cycle starting issues/dies Gos issue??

Post by HDR »

Good morning intruders, hope you and yours are all well. I come again and hopefully for the last time with this issue. Unfortunately I'm at the point where I've had enough! Ever since that idiot dropped the bike, it's never been the same, and I've just had it. Anyhow, i figured that if I get rid of my bike at the very least I should give it one good last honest try to get everything fixed right, you know? I don't want to think I could have done more. So if I could get your help with this that'll be great and hopefully I can fix it and I can end up keeping it.

1) the most passing issue is the bike dying or not starting. It'll die while it's running, it's died on the freeway! Twice! I'll press and hold the clutch when I'm slowing down for traffic and it just dies!! Luckily it restarted that time but that's obviously extremely dangerous. Just recently i ran out of gas i believe but it's had enough to start and also to not die since that time, but it still keeps on happening. I'd imagine.... Cleaning out the fuel system? Maybe even the carbs correct? I've been reading some of the posts and have seen air and fuel filter mentioned, seems like a good place to start. I don't believe it's the battery, although at a certain point that becomes an issue as well since I keep trying to restart it, it'll lose power and then id have to jump start it. But then it works fine.

When it's died on me a few of the times, it's sputtered, heck, even violently jolted forward before it finally dies out. A couple of those times I was able to restart it by raising the RPMs on the throttle cable and turning on the choke. But at times it does not. I tried to start it last night and it would not, even if I raised the RPMs. It just sounds like it wants to start but just does not. I'm no expert but it sounds like it's a fuel issue.

2) Perhaps this should be 1st since it's been going on longest. Months back I asked you guys for help with the push start cable. Thank you all again for your help with that. My neighbor also helped me and the easiest solution was to just add an on/off switch. I've gone through like 4 of these. Either they'll burn out, the connection gets loose, etc. The inside of the original push start button looks fine, there's nothing that seems burnt or broken, although just a few days ago I accidentally disconnected a wire that I'll have to resolder, but that was not an issue prior. Perhaps I should mention also, that some time ago I asked for help with this on this forum about something about the same, starting issues. It was suggested I disconnect the 2 small wires going into the clutch, THE LEFT HANDLE BAR, and that got the bike fixed of the issue I had then. But I doubt, that has anything to do with the start button not functioning, or will it? 🤔. I'm assuming, it's somewhere in the connection. Like I said the button and all of it's components look fine. When I try and use the push start button obviously there's no start, there's just a sound, a clicking, very fast clicking, that seems to come from the starter solenoid. Which I've replaced already.. If needed later I can post a video. What can I check, what do I have to fix for this starter button to work properly again? All fuses have been fine, the battery connectors have been fine, perhaps there's been a time when they weren't , when they got loose but in general they've been fine so what could make the push start button just make the starter solenoid click, but not jolt it to start? If I could get some help with this id really appreciate it gents. I want to use today to get this thing to where it needs to be if not maybe it's time to accept this having s motorcycle thing isn't for me. I keep coming to that conclusion, perhaps I've been having these issues repeatedly because it's not meant to be you know? I'm old enough to know that it's ok to fight and reach for what we want, what we need but it's not ok to force through anything. Anything, anything forced in the ends up costing us much much more My marriage taught me that 🥁🥁🥁😂🤣but at least, i have to give it an honest effort at fixing it just right and if I then have to get rid of it, at least i did all i could to make the situation work and plus also it'll be easier to sell. If I have to which hopefully i wont. Thanks in advance and bundle up and ride safe out there, it's started to get chilly and wet!! Today we had the first rain here in the Bay Area, so it's that time again to be extra extra careful so please, ride safe!! Thanks in advance!!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Last at bat with this thing!!. Cycle starting issues/dies Gos issue??

Post by navigator »

You said...when they got loose but in general they've been fine so what could make the push start button just make the starter solenoid click, but not jolt it to start?

Answer: Loose or dirty battery connections. Use sandpaper and sand the terminals on the battery AND the terminals on BOTH ends of each battery cable, AND where the negative cable attaches to the frame above the oil fill.
Charge your battery. A weak battery causes the solenoid to click repeatedly.
A weak battery will also make the bike die. Check the connector with 3 yellow wires under the seat. That is the charging circuit...make sure they are tight and clean. put a dab of dielectric grease or Vaseline on them.