Loud pop…..then nothing

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder 800

Loud pop…..then nothing

Post by TogaRiderNY »

Hello everyone!

Ive had my 94 800 intruder for a few years now and have had to do very very minimal maintenance aside from new battery, oil/filter changes and tires. She’s been very good to me since I’ve had her.

Sadly life has gotten in the way since 2020……I’ve ridden her maybe 3 times in 2020 and have yet to jump on this year….2021.

With that in mind, I keep the battery on a tender/trickle charger about once every month or two. Everytime I started her up this year, she had no issues, until today.

I turn the key, headlights and “dashboard” lights turn on as normal. As soon as I hit the ignition button, an incredibly loud pop (like backfire or firecracker) almost makes me go deaf. It didn’t help that I was in the garage so it probably sounded louder than it really was.

I’m thinking the bike is about to explode, pull the key out and go straight for the fire extinguisher. But there wasn’t a hint of smoke or even a burning smell. I look all over the bike and don’t see any visible damage on any wires or battery.

Turned the key, lights came on as normal. Figured I’d try my luck and hit the starter button…..nothing. I hear a single click everytime I try to start it and then nothing. The clicking sounds like it would when the battery is too weak and won’t turn the engine. But it’s a single click, unlike a multitude of clicking when you try to start on a weak/dead battery.

Anyone have any ideas on what could have exploded or how to check? I

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Loud pop…..then nothing

Post by Herb »

It sounds to me like a connector overloaded and burned through.
Since you say the lights come on and work good it has to be something in the start circuit. The single-click tells me that the solenoid is engaging and has plenty of power. If it were short on power it would have multiple clicks as you said. I would start at the connections at the solenoid and trace the power to the solenoid and to the starter.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Carbs ever cleaned? Its been sitting a lot and if the carbs haven't been cleaned they can gum up and you will get a backfire.

Did you check all of the fuses?

or try this.

Tie the clutch back then run jumper cables from a car battery (don't start the car) and connect the negative to one of the manifold blots where they meet the head. Touch (do not clamp) the positive to the positive wire on the starter. if it starts, or tries to start, then like Herb said you are going to have to trace it out to find what's blown. But at least you will know if it is going to run.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder 800

Post by TogaRiderNY »

I haven’t touched the carbs since I bought it in 2013. I’m sure they’re due for a cleaning, but I don’t think that’s the issue in this case. The loud pop happened practically instantly without the engine even having a chance to turn over.

I checked all the fuses and they’re good.

@sgtcall ….I’ll try your method with the jumper cables and see what happens.
@herb thanks for the advice, I’m definitely going to go through the wiring and see if anything looks off.

I’ll follow up with updates.

Thanks for the help guys!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Pull the battery earth cable, give it a good inspection. also the battery lug. Give all mating surfaces a good clean up and re-fit using a star washer,
Grow old disgracefully young man.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Lechy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:47 pm
Pull the battery earth cable, give it a good inspection. also the battery lug. Give all mating surfaces a good clean up and re-fit using a star washer,
"Star Washers" are back! But, YES, they are always a good idea.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Since you said the lights come on Do they dim when you push the start switch?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Herb wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:55 pm
It sounds to me like a connector overloaded and burned through.
Since you say the lights come on and work good it has to be something in the start circuit. The single-click tells me that the solenoid is engaging and has plenty of power. If it were short on power it would have multiple clicks as you said. I would start at the connections at the solenoid and trace the power to the solenoid and to the starter.
THIS. ^^^^

Pull the left side cover and examine the start circuit from the battery out.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Although this issue sounds like electrical, you might want to check the engine isn't locked up (hydrolocked) first before you try and bypass the solenoid.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:21 pm
Although this issue sounds like electrical, you might want to check the engine isn't locked up (hydrolocked) first before you try and bypass the solenoid.
Good point, remove both spark plugs, then remove the center 'plug' on the left side engine cover.
Use a 17mm socket to spin the engine Counter-clockwise.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

navigator wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:48 pm
hillsy wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:21 pm
Good point, remove both spark plugs, then remove the center 'plug' on the left side engine cover.
Use a 17mm socket to spin the engine Counter-clockwise.
Spin the motor SLOWLY....and don't try and look down the spark plug hole when you turn the motor because if it's full of fuel it will shoot out all over you (never happened to me :bonk: )