Oil leak from 1994 VS800 Intruder - right side, but only while running

Georgey
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2002 1994 1994[2] 1997 vs800

Oil leak from 1994 VS800 Intruder - right side, but only while running

Post by Georgey »

Hello

I've got an oil leak that is coming from the lower right side - losing a good amount of oil, but it's only happening when the bike is on and running (and me riding).

I don't think it's coming from the cylinders or heads as they are (at least on the outside) dry. White smoke coming from the clutch cover, oil burning smell when on. I'm hoping it's just the clutch cover gasket, and I see there are 3 small bolt gaskets where the cover bolts onto the clutch side.

Anyone else have/had these problems? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Oil leak from 1994 VS800 Intruder - right side, but only while running

Post by sgtcall »

Back the cover bolts out a couple of turns then tighten them back down. Do one at a time. Then see if it keeps leaking.

Someone smarter will be along shortly.

:popcorn:
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Easiest way to diagnose is to fully degrease the area then run the bike for a short stint until the leak starts to become noticeable again.

It's quite difficult to pinpoint if there is oil everywhere - you need to start with a clean engine.

But like sgtcall said - makes sure the cover bolts are done up as it may just be that simple.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Georgey wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:33 pm
Hello I've got an oil leak that is coming from the lower right side - losing a good amount of oil, but it's only happening when the bike is on and running (and me riding).
And a Good "hello' to you as well! :ShitGrinandThumb:

In order to be of as best of help as we can,...could you be more specific as to where the Oil Leak Evidence appears to be on your 800?

As has been said,..." a picture is worth a thousand words"... So would you take some for us to see please? :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Georgey wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:33 pm
Hello

I've got an oil leak that is coming from the lower right side - losing a good amount of oil, but it's only happening when the bike is on and running (and me riding).

I don't think it's coming from the cylinders or heads as they are (at least on the outside) dry. White smoke coming from the clutch cover, oil burning smell when on. I'm hoping it's just the clutch cover gasket, and I see there are 3 small bolt gaskets where the cover bolts onto the clutch side.

Anyone else have/had these problems? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
It may leak only when standing up right Not so much when running unless your PCV system is clogged
Hillsey is correct
Te best way to find an oil leak is with a clean engine
And SgtCail is correct when he said to loosen then tighten the bolts
Designer is correct with posting pictures
When parked and cold is a different condition then when up right and hot when riding.
What I suggest is to stand the bike up right on a couple blocks of wood and place a peace of cardboard under the area you believe is leaking. You can also wipe the area of any oil. If after a while, maybe an hour?, you dont see a leak fire the bike up and let it warm up and check for leaks.
If you still dont see any leaks bring the revs up If you find a leak then check your PCV system.
Best of luck Oil leaks can be a bitch some times
Also you want to check your oil when up right not on the stand. But Im sure you already know this.
I use "Simple Green" to clean my bikes when I work on them. Just spray it on the oily areas and wait a few minutes and hose it off. I also use a small leaf blower that I picked up at "O Rilys" to dry my bike works really well
Welcome to the boards

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

Thank you for the replies - I've cleaned the area and rode it short distances to find the leak but no luck - I will continue to look and take pics and post. I did buy a new gasket and waiting for it to come in, but of course i'm not sure if it's coming from the cover. I'm hoping it's not going to require an engine rebuild. So far I can only determine that's is coming from the clutch side - is that a "potentially" good sign I wont need an engine rebuild?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Georgey wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:41 am
Thank you for the replies - I've cleaned the area and rode it short distances to find the leak but no luck - I will continue to look and take pics and post. I did buy a new gasket and waiting for it to come in, but of course i'm not sure if it's coming from the cover. I'm hoping it's not going to require an engine rebuild. So far I can only determine that's is coming from the clutch side - is that a "potentially" good sign I wont need an engine rebuild?
From all my 24 years experience with these Bikes, you most probably will not be needing an Engine rebuild. :wink:

Do keep sleuthing the source of the leak,....... like after riding it Longer Distance(s) or Riding it at Higher RPM/harder. let us know what you find.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

Designer wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:27 am
Georgey wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:41 am
From all my 24 years experience with these Bikes, you most probably will not be needing an Engine rebuild. :wink:

Do keep sleuthing the source of the leak,....... like after riding it Longer Distance(s) or Riding it at Higher RPM/harder. let us know what you find.

That is a relief hearing it's probably not needing a engine rebuild!!! :bow:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

My two cents, if you replace the gasket, apply a thin coat of permatex gasket adhesive. DO NOT use RTV or silicone.
Trace the gasket onto a piece of cardboard and place the bolts in the appropriate holes as they are different lengths, and some have a rubber gasket under the head.
Torque the bolts in increments and a crisscross pattern.
Torque specs are 96 Inch pounds, which equates to 8 footpounds. Most ftlb wrenches do not read accurately at that low number, use an inch pound torque wrench. Many auto parts stores have free tool lending.

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

OK so it is leaking from this bolt I've circled in blue - and This is probably not the original bolt

Uh how do I post a pic? Sorry.

But it looks like a PLUG, OIL GALLERY 07120-08127 and I'm definitely missing the accompaning gasket

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

the gasket looks like a washer? can I use any similar washer?

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

To post a picture you need to go to
Postimages — free image hosting / image upload https://postimages.org

upload your image, then post the link using the insert image button above. The one that looks like a picture of a mountain.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Is it the hex bolt 11 and gasket 18 here?
https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/ ... /crankcase
The bolt just forward of the chrome crankcase cover on the right side....near the top of the oil filter?

OR is it the allen head bolt above it, near the top of the cover with gasket #43?
They are both a thin copper washer
Either way email me your shipping info and I will mail you one.

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

So here it is....And it was the culprit!!! Thank you guys!!!

The bolt was loose and I used a snug washer (as the "gasket") and tightened it down.

I bought this bike in the early 2000's and it always had a smallish oil leak - I just thought "well, I'll buy it and fix it later." Later never happened and oil just kept getting caked on the underside of the bike - Until I had to clean everything up (got into an accident, had to fix a whole bunch of stuff, long story).

LATER IS NOW!!!! wow, I am beyond thrilled.

But what is that bolt for? What is the Oil Gallery for?

Thanks Navigator - I've got copper washers - I 'll find one that fits but right now it's not leaking with the one I have in now.

Thanks sgtcall for the pic posting info!! Maybe I'll post pics of my 4 heavily modified intruders

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

NAvigator - I think it was 42 and 43.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Yup, that's right. Still have the washer if you need it.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Georgey wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:57 pm
Thanks sgtcall for the pic posting info!! Maybe I'll post pics of my 4 heavily modified intruders
Yes please Post Pics of your bike's

"Show us yer bike"
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1193

Glad you found your oil leak

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Georgey wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:57 pm
So here it is....And it was the culprit!!! Thank you guys!!!
The bolt was loose and I used a snug washer (as the "gasket") and tightened it down.
LATER IS NOW!!!! wow, I am beyond thrilled.

Thanks Navigator - I've got copper washers - I 'll find one that fits but right now it's not leaking with the one I have in now.
You can always count on these guys to give you The Best of help. :bow:

They embody The Spirit Of The Tech Board. :clap: :cheers: :ShitGrinandThumb: