1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800 no spark

81berlinetta_
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800 no spark

Post by 81berlinetta_ »

Recently I’ve been having a really hard time tracing down this no spark situation. At first I changed the plugs, then that led to the battery, battery wires, fuses, coils, igniter, stator, pickup coil, regulator/rectifier, and I’ve confirmed all safety switches are operating correctly since they will not allow the motorcycle to crank if not engaged. Still no spark after replacing and checking all of those items. Is there any way to adjust the pickup coil gap? Seems very unlikely since it’s mounted to the cover and not the motor. Am I able to check voltage output of the stator when cranking? Any advice would be greatly appreciated I’m at a huge loss here. Thanks in advance.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: 1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800 no spark

Post by FallenAngel »

Have you confirmed power to the coils??

You can also check the signal from the pick up and ignition modual by disconnecting the negative side of both coils and connect an Ohms meter to the wire crank the engine over and if the meter reads close to zero or the needle jumps you have a signal. If not the disconnect the pick up and do the same. If you get close to zero or the needle jumps then you have a working pick up and the ignition modual is suspect.

Do not use the OMS meter on energized circuits

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

There is no test for stator output unless the engine is running.

I agree with FA that checking the power to the coils is the first priority. If there is power to the coil you can induce spark by grounding the other terminal and repeatedly releasing the ground. Every time you ground the terminal there will be a spark at the plug. this tests the coils, wires and plugs.

Check the connections at the igniter box as a possible culprit. When checking make sure there is no corrosion on any of the terminals and wiggle wires to verify none are broken I had the ground wire to the ignitor box break inside the insulation right at the box. The bike would run normally when the seat is off or I was standing alongside but since the box is on the bottom of the seat, every time I would sit down the bike would quit.

You didn't mention what was done to the bike just before the problem started but I would look at the areas that work was done in just before the problem started.

I am not real familiar with the wiring or most component locations on the 800 but electrical T-shooting starts with making sure you have power to the component that isn't working.

These bikes are battery dependent, if the battery is below about 10.5-11 VDC it will crank but it won't have any spark.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

An easy thing to try is to unscrew the plug boot from the end of the plug wire.
Trim off 1/4" to 3/8" of wire, and screw the boot back on.
Connection is made only with a sharp pin protruding into the wire core, that interface is often compromised.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I had a no spark situation on my old 750. I had removed the alternator cover to fit a new gasket, when I had put it all back together and tried to start, nothing happened. I traced the pulse cables back from the CDI paying particular attention to the plastic connector, no problems there, then I inspected the cables where they entered the transit block on the alternator cover, I would not have noticed anything wrong until I gave them a little wiggle, one had split completely and pulled out of the block, the other was only hanging on by a piece of insulator, all strands had completely broken.
Probably not your fault but worth a check. Simply remedied by soldering new wires into the stator.
Have you checked for spark by shoving an insulated screwdriver up the plug cap, holding the shank about 1/2" from an earthing point, cranking the engine and checking for spark this way,
Grow old disgracefully young man.