Which idiot lights should come on when I turn the key?

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Which idiot lights should come on when I turn the key?

Post by panamaniac »

‘93 800—currently just neutral and turn signal indicators are all I ever see. I know I used to get the red overheat light sometimes when the bike got hot but haven’t seen it in a long time so can’t recall if it’s something I should see when I initially turn the key—if so, it means that light is no longer working! But I have had the fan come on so I believe that system is still working. So basically wondering (a) what I can learn from the fact that I only see neural and (b) if this means lights are out, how to fix them.

Thanks all, and happy riding :)

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Which idiot lights should come on when I turn the key?

Post by navigator »

First, check all your fuses.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Post by panamaniac »

Man, I got angry for a sec that you didn’t answer the question but was like, it’s Navigator, he’s like answering a better question than I asked!! “Hey m8, sounds like the best use of time is go check the fuses.” I totally get it, will do! :rock:

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

According to my owner's manual, the oil pressure and water temp warning lights should be on when the engine is not running and the key is on. Both are powered from the same source as the neutral light.

In the years I had my S50, the only time I saw the temp light on was before startup; the fan comes on long before the temp light. Never saw the oil light on with the engine running either.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

When you turn the key to the on position, you should see the oil, temp, and neutral lights, and high beam if it is turned on.
After you start the engine, the red oil and temp lights should go out.