Idle is low

berserker789
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2007 Suzuki S50 VS800

Idle is low

Post by berserker789 »

I took out the carbs and cleaned them up yesterday, my first time ever doing it. I read the Clymer manual and watched some youtube videos.

However I now have 2 issues:

1) Engine is idling low, to the point where it almost turns off sometimes in first gear at a stop. Im wondering if this has something to do with the sync cable or throttle cable, as I did change the tension on them to get them out if the bike.

2) Choke is not coming out as far. The choke notch used to come out to about 3 or 4 notches. Now when I pull on the choke, it only comes out to 1 notch.

Suggestions?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Idle is low

Post by WintrSol »

Since you disturbed the idle sync cable, you have to perform the sync, so both carbs are matched, both at idle, and partial open throttle (two separate adjustments). There are many posts here on how to do this.

The 'choke' is a separate issue, which sounds like the cable is binding; I'd start by checking the routing, to make sure it isn't bent too much. There is a routing diagram in the service manual for all the cables.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

berserker789
Tricycles are Cool

Post by berserker789 »

Ah, that makes sense.

I've seen this tool that people have used to adjust the nut on the cables and they use a modified tool like a bent wrench:

Would this tool work as a replacement: https://www.autozone.com/wrenches-plier ... pps.s=4109

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

berserker789 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 am
Ah, that makes sense. I'v e seen this tool that people have used to adjust the nut on the cables and they use a modified tool like a bent wrench:
I would go with the modified wrench you see in the video. The offset is a double "bend" putting your hand at the best possible place in relation/distance to the Adjusting Barrel when moving/tightening it.

A tip, keep the Adjusting Barrel Locknut pretty snug when you are making the Balance Adjustments with the Barrel.

I have found that the slightest movements in the Barrel make a difference in the Level readings on the Balancing Tool. Even tightening the Locknut alters the balance, so I set the Level of the vertical "Bars" on the Balance Tool slightly off-set so that when I tighten down the Barrel Locknut, they are equalled. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Agreed, you need a thin wall wrench to fit in that space.
The one you sited is too fat and bulky.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Access for adjusting the sync is a lot easier if you take the tank off and use an aux tank - it's the reason I have an aux tank. The advice about keeping the locking nut snug and leaving a slight offset in the vacuum values is from the voices of experience.
Florissant, MO

berserker789
Tricycles are Cool

Post by berserker789 »

Noob question, how would I know where the RPM's are since there is no tach gauge on the bike?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

berserker789 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:13 pm
Noob question, how would I know where the RPM's are since there is no tach gauge on the bike?
I count the exhaust pulses per second and multiply to obtain revolutions per minute.......... :uhh: ......... :naughty:

:lolfall:

:bow:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Counting and multiplying is too damn much trouble. I have a small engine inductive tach similar to this.

I picked it up from a bike shop that was going out of business for $5 about 10 years ago, works great.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

berserker789
Tricycles are Cool

Post by berserker789 »

Awesome, I looked those up on youtube and it looks like you just wrap the wire around the ignition coil on the spark plug and it tells you RPMs. Easy peasy.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Guys,......I was joking.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:42 am
Guys,......I was joking.

I knew that you were joking, that's why I posted my smart-ass comment first.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Although, I've heard of smart phone apps that count exhaust pulses, and calculate rpm. I've never used one, and am a little dubious, so YMMV.
Florissant, MO

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

WintrSol wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:30 am
Access for adjusting the sync is a lot easier if you take the tank off and use an aux tank - it's the reason I have an aux tank.
The advice about keeping the locking nut snug and leaving a slight offset in the vacuum values is from the voices of experience.
I made an auxiliary tank that bolts to the Rear Tank Mounting Holes. This allows me to ride the bike after synching the carbs to test it and check the balance once again.

It was made back when I was re-jetting the carbs....saved me HUGE amounts of time in that I didn't have to put the Stock Tank on-and-off over and over as I was fine Tuning the re-jetting.