Hello. Clutch problem

tazmaniac_37752
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki intruder

Hello. Clutch problem

Post by tazmaniac_37752 »

Hello I have a 1996 suzuki intruder vs800 and I initially thought my higher gear clutches were slipping when I rolled on the throttle. I replaced the clutch and friction plates springs and bolts. It seems to have made the bike stronger on low end but still have what seems to be slippage in 5th when I roll on it at higher speeds. Also have a vibration coming from the engine at higher rpms. Any ldeas on what the problem might be? Need to get it lined out before sturgis if at all possible.
I ain't done parking yet.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Hello. Clutch problem

Post by Designer »

Experience has shown us that Clutch slippage almost always first appears a Cruise speed when the throttle is added. And it is virtually always not the Plates that are at fault, but the Springs.

Assuming it is indeed slippage that happens only at Cruise as you report, let me ask,....when you installed new Springs, were they Stock, or the Heavy Duty ones from Barnett?

And much the same, the Vibration you speak of most often might be due to a lack of proper Carb Balance. When was the last time they were Balanced?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

What Designer said plus if you are using an oil with any kind of friction modifiers (Teflon or Molybdenum) this will also cause clutch slippage. A partially blocked return hole in the master can allow pressure to build up in the lines causing slippage.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

If your vibration problem is at high RPM then unbalanced carbs will more than likely not be the problem. Carb balance will only really affect low and cruising RPM ranges - however having the carbs properly balanced will make the bike smoother and far nicer to ride.

As for the clutch slipping - the quickest and easiest thing to do is change your type of oil to see if that fixes it.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

tazmaniac_37752 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:44 am
Also have a vibration coming from the engine at higher rpms. Any ldeas on what the problem might be? Need to get it lined out before sturgis if at all possible.

Depending on how much vibration you are experiencing and how high up in the RPM range you get it,....it very well could be carb balance.

When looking at your time frame, this adjustment would probably be the easiest and best place to start in Trouble-shooting this issue. And if it has been a while since the last adjustment, doing so certainly would be a Good Thing to visit before your trip to Sturgis. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Also check your engine mount bolts are torqued correctly.

tazmaniac_37752
Tricycles are Cool

Ok thanks for the advice. Now one other question in syncing the carbs. How close might I be able to get them by sight watching to be sure both carbs start opening at the same time?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

tazmaniac_37752 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:17 am
Ok thanks for the advice. Now one other question in syncing the carbs. How close might I be able to get them by sight watching to be sure both carbs start opening at the same time?
You may get the idle sync close that way, but not exact.
You will never get the high speed sync done using that method.

tazmaniac_37752
Tricycles are Cool

Ok. Thank you
I'll have to try n find and maybe borrow a tool to sync them with.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The last time I did any carb work I went to use the sync tool I had and it was broken. I set the sync and went for a ride, While cruising at a set speed I would back out of the throttle slowly, and when I heard on cylinder stop pulling I would pull over and slightly increase the cable tension on it. Took 3 tries but it ran fine. When I got my new sync tool I hooked it up and the balance was almost spot on.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.