Bobber build

berserker789
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2007 Suzuki S50 VS800

Bobber build

Post by berserker789 »

I'm looking to turn my S50 into a bobber, but keep the stock frame and shocks (I'd prefer to keep some ride quality and save my back ;p). I've seen some really cool custom bobber builds.

I want to keep the ability to carry a passenger. Something like this:

I've seen some sissy bar builds by Edward Richie and he makes custom sissy bars for any bike.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to reduce the wheel gap on my bike, without lowering the suspension (changing the shocks). It seems like I would need to get a custom rear fender to do that and keep the stock suspension.

What would the the most budget friendly way to go about this?

1) Get a new custom rear fender, and weld it onto the frame. Cut new holes that allow a pillion seat and a sissy bar?
2) Cut the stock rear fender to show more of the rear tire, and keep everything else the same and get a 2 up seat with a new sissy bar?

Tee5226
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Suzuki boulevard s50

Re: Bobber build

Post by Tee5226 »

Hi there, just wondering if you ever made a choice. I’m currently in the same boat and not enjoying the wheel gap

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

It might not help much but I saw this a couple of months ago. I am not sure but I think the rear fender is a cut down trailer fender.

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Henchman
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS800

Post by Henchman »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UjetXc5qUzSKD7mK6

It will be difficult to have a passenger on a bobber. Most bobber rear fenders are connected to the swingarm. I've seen small fender mounted seats but you would have to reinforce the fender brackets. Then the passenger would be riding on the swingarm and you on the frame which would probably be awkward for both.

It would be possible maybe to put a seat where I have the bag on mine in the pic link above. But my fender will contact the bag on a hard bump.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Henchman wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:15 am
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UjetXc5qUzSKD7mK6

It will be difficult to have a passenger on a bobber. Most bobber rear fenders are connected to the swingarm. I've seen small fender mounted seats but you would have to reinforce the fender brackets. Then the passenger would be riding on the swingarm and you on the frame which would probably be awkward for both.

It would be possible maybe to put a seat where I have the bag on mine in the pic link above. But my fender will contact the bag on a hard bump.
Nice bikes Henchman!

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Henchman, I love the look of your bobber. The only change I would make is to go with bar end mirrors facing down to keep the low and lean look. I got these recently and they are great mirrors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B ... =UTF8&th=1

Henchman
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS800

Post by Henchman »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qET9JBrtSPmfuC3t9

Thanks sgtcall I like the mirror idea... It's taken me a year to bring it back to life. It looked like the about link when I found it. The guy said it ran but had been sitting since 2012.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Henchman wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:20 pm
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qET9JBrtSPmfuC3t9

Thanks sgtcall I like the mirror idea... It's taken me a year to bring it back to life. It looked like the about link when I found it. The guy said it ran but had been sitting since 2012.
Well glad to have you here on IA, you will find plenty of help and since you seem to be able to do your own work I hope you will get involved with some of the other guys working on their own bikes.