screws and nuts and bolts, oh my! (2 part question)

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

screws and nuts and bolts, oh my! (2 part question)

Post by DonGee »

I've owned this bike all of six months and as much as I like it, it does cause some aggravation sometimes. In the course of attaching a pigtail to the fusebox and mounting saddlebag supports , plus looking into the possibility of mounting my throw-over bags under the seat, I've had to remove the side covers, the fuse box cover, and the seat. As a result, I've managed to lose a total of four screws/bolts. Note, they didn't fall to the ground where I could just pick them up. No, they fell into the bike somewhere. What's worse is they seem to tease me and let me see them lying where I just can't quite get at them easily. I go get my magnet ended grabbing tool and am able to touch it just lightly enough to send it further into the bowels of the machine. Okay, apparently fat fingers and a lack of coordination don't help. This isn't encouraging when I start to think about having to change the air filters. So, I'm wondering...

Question #1:
Is there a favorite place for these damn screws to hide once they fall in the bike? I haven't had to deal with the battery yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to find them sitting in the battery holder box, resting comfortably. Anywhere else I should be looking where they're likely to be hiding?

Question #2 (which might make question #1 less important):
Is there a cross-reference somewhere that will tell me the exact size of a screw/bolt if I have the part number? I don't have a huge problem with ordering the OEM screw for a buck or two, but between crazy shipping costs and having to wait a couple of days for them, if I can hit the local hardware store and get a couple for less than a buck and get them now, I'd prefer to.

There must be someplace i can look up a part number and see exactly what size it is.

Thanks.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: screws and nuts and bolts, oh my! (2 part question)

Post by Lechy »

I have the microfiche on Google Drive, it has most but not all of the bolt sizes. PM me your e-mail and I will send you the link. The OEM service manual is also available.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

You can get most replacement bolts at a hardware store.
Most common head sizes are 8mm, 10mm, 12mm. Also allen head.
Common nut hex sizes are 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19mm.
Most common thread sizes are:
M5 x .08, 8mm head.
M6 x 1.00, 10mm head
M8 x 1.25, 12mm head
M10 x 1.5, 14mm head.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Thanks. I kind of figured an assortment like that would cover me. But as to which one replaces which part number, it looks like it sort of trial and error.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

If you dropped the left side cover screw, I believe it is a short M5.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Thanks. Yeah, that was one of them I dropped shortly after I bought the bike. I managed to replace that one...sort of. I had to wrap a little tape around a screw I had on hand just so it would bite a little better. What's funny is the guy who changed my tires and tubes mentioned it when I picked up the bike a few weeks ago. He happened to have the right size and replaced it.

The other ones are the hex head one for the right side of the seat in the middle, and the one at the front of the right side cover. Then when I took off the seat, I noticed the two that secure the ignitor unit were missing. It's not going anywhere because the seat holds it in place, but I'd still like to replace them, which also means the nuts that secure them. I may end up just getting the part numbers for all of them off the fiche and ordering them from my local dealer. That way I can just pick them up and avoid the shipping. Their prices are among the lowest I've seen for OEM parts. But they're still more than a buck apiece.

Although I may just take your suggestion of hitting the local hardware store. I can't think of a reason I couldn't replace a button head socket with a Phillips head or a hex head bolt as long as the size and thread pitch are right.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

The seat bolts and the RS side cover bolt are all M6.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Back from the hardware store where I grabbed a couple of M5 and M6 in different lengths. I ended up getting Phillips head screws rather than flange bolts only because they're a little easier to work with in tight spots. The only button head hex they had was in black, and I was looking for chrome to replace the original I lost. I'll go with the chrome phillips.