Air in clutch line?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Air in clutch line?

Post by Herb »

I had not thought about that happening.

In the 32 years I have been riding intruders I have never heard of this happening to one and I have had my intruders sit for up to a year with no problems like that.

If I ever run into a clutch issue like this again I will check on that type of thing.

I did have an old TS185 that the cutch would stick after only sitting a month. Always just started it and warmed it up good then got it rolling and dropped it into gear riding with the clutch pulled, in a higher gear, and stood on the rear brake until it broke loose.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Far easier to diagnose stuck plates with a cable operated clutch.

And far easier in person than over the Internet.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:04 am
I had not thought about that happening. In the 32 years I have been riding intruders I have never heard of this happening to one and I have had my intruders sit for up to a year with no problems like that. If I ever run into a clutch issue like this again I will check on that type of thing.
Yeah, Me too. Never before in my 45 years of working on Bikes have I encountered a situation with Clutch Plates so very locked up that they didn't break loose with rocking the bike in gear. So this is good information to know that it can happen this badly. And has been said,...at least he has got a spare MC and slave now....so we were of Good Help to him.

In the past, an Engine-off test like this has always broken the plates loose, regardless of whether it is a Cable or Hydraulic Clutch;
Designer wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:20 pm
I have found that the best way to solve puzzling problems is to take one thing at a time. Since I am not there to check things out, and you report that the Gear Shifts were easy when the Clutch Lever was pulled in, at this point,.....help me out with doing this with the Key Off.

1. Sit on the Bike, put it Neutral and see how easily it rolls,...if there is resistance, does the Engine try to Turn Over? If not,...next thing.

2. Sit on the Bike, put it in First Gear, leave the Clutch Lever out and see what resistance you get. If alot of resistance, does the Engine try to Turn Over? If so,...next thing.

3. Now, as you are pushing forwards in First Gear, (and the Engine is trying to Turn Over), pull the Clutch Lever in. Does the Bike move easier & without the Engine Turning Over? ( of course It should, if all is normal )

4. If so, keep the Cutch Lever pulled in, keep pushing forwards and see if it gets harder to move and the Engine begins to try to Turn Over as time goes by.

It's such a straightforward Test, one easily communicated accurately via typing. And after getting the results we see reported, it is clear to Anyone Of Experience that the problem is Mechanical. Were anyone to say it might be Electrical, I think it wise to question their Mechanical Aptitude.

Great of LSU Tiger to come back and fill us in, eh? That's the kind of comradery that makes this Board The Best. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Internet mechanics :lmao:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 6:11 pm
:ShitGrin: Almost as good as those telehealth phone calls the insurance company's want you to do.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:10 am
hillsy wrote:
:ShitGrin: Almost as good as those telehealth phone calls the insurance company's want you to do.
from my experience with dealerships they are, usually, much better.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:56 am
navigator wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:10 am
hillsy wrote:
from my experience with dealerships they are, usually, much better.
Well, in general, a mechanic who has Factory Training would be a safe choice.

The exception being someone who claims to be a "professional mechanic" who still insists on his diagnosis that a problem is electrical, even after systematic testing results show everyone,......clearly,..... it is not.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 am

The exception being someone who claims to be a professional mechanic still insists on his diagnosis that a problem is electrical, even after systematic testing results show everyone,......clearly,..... it is not.
You wanna start shit in the tech folders again?

Just remember YOU are the guy that suggested the OP explore new MC and slave cylinders.

And you've never seen a locked up clutch pack... :lmao:

Internet mechanic. That's you.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:40 am
Designer wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 am
The exception being someone who claims to be a professional mechanic still insists on his diagnosis that a problem is electrical, even after systematic testing results show everyone,......clearly,..... it is not.
You wanna start shit in the tech folders again? Just remember YOU are the guy that suggested the OP explore new MC and slave cylinders.
And you've never seen a locked up clutch pack... Internet mechanic. That's you.
I'll finish you off over here,....... instead of the other Thread on the Politics Board which you are Dragging Down; :wink:

Now,...get ready to wear your SHIT alllll over your face,....AGAIN; :rock: :clap:
Designer wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:07 am
hillsy wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:19 pm
Springy - why in God's name to do you keep bringing up that clutch thread when YOU WERE THE GUY THAT TOLD HIM HE SHOULD GET NEW MC AND SLAVE CYLINDERS .....
Hey Dilwad. I didn't TELL HIM to "explore" ordering a New Master Cylinder/Slave Cylinder. HE SUGGESTED HE DO SO,........ON HIS OWN.

And,.... your ignorance is deliberately ignoring that I Cautioned him to TEST FIRST BEFORE Making that investment; ....because... HIS SUGGESTED CHOICE ....of a New Master Cylinder might not be the solution;
Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:37 pm
LSU Tiger wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:08 pm
I think I am ordering new master cylinder and slave parts and take it to my mechanic friend for installation. Agree?
Since all you report points towards this being a Clutch Actuation/Mechanical issue, not an Electrical/Engine Starting issue,...I would agree.
But before you order the Master Cylinder/ Rebuild Parts,..... best to check to see if the System gets any pressure at all first. Try squeezing the Clutch Lever and crack open the Banjo Bolt just a little to see if any Fluid comes out. If it does, you don't need to rebuild the Master Cylinder or a New one.
Designer wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:57 am
navigator wrote
LSU Tiger wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:01 pm
Master cylinder works great. Plenty of pressure.
Do you get the same pressure at the slave cylinder when you bleed there? If not, it could be a plugged line.
Since that Master Cylinder Test showed you didn't need to go ahead with your choice of buying New One, Any word LSU Tiger if what navigator suggested was your problem?

hillsy wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:41 am
Tell me where I am wrong again...
Okay,...since you asked,....speaking of YOU BEING WRONG. What about THIS?....Mr. "I'm a professional mechanic" :roll:
Designer wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:40 am
Only a total MORON would suggest he putz around with ELECTRICAL SWITCHES...AFTER THE TEST I SUGGESTED PROVED IT WAS A TOTALLY MECHANICAL PROBLEM.
You might was well told him to check Tire Pressure for all the good you did him. :uhh:

Of all the people to make such AN ASININE AND WRONG Electrical suggestion,...it's the guy who CLAIMS he is a.... "Professional Mechanic" . :roll:

So,..Screw off you PHONY Mechanic,...... and Pathetic Chronic LIAR. :fubird:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Nice thread dig and continued dancing.... :clap:

For the record if your defense is that I was supposedly "insisting" the problem was electrical - all I said was to REVISIT the switches - not BUY A BUNCH OF PARTS that didn't fix the problem.
Designer wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:04 am
Never before in my 45 years of working on Bikes have I encountered a situation with Clutch Plates so very locked up that they didn't break loose with rocking the bike in gear. So this is good information to know that it can happen this badly. And has been said,...at least he has got a spare MC and slave now....so we were of Good Help to him.
Good help to him?

You really just need to learn to STFU.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:22 pm
Nice thread dig and continued dancing....
For the record if your defense is that I was supposedly "insisting" the problem was electrical - all I said was to REVISIT the switches - not BUY A BUNCH OF PARTS that didn't fix the problem.
And hillsy's Self-Delusion just keeps on making as Ass of himself. :dunno:

Your infant stupidity FAILS AGAIN to realize...I DIDN'T TELL HIM to buy all those parts... It was HE that suggested he wanted to do so.
And,... in your DESPERATE AND FAILING attempts to falsely smear me,...YOU FAIL to post that,....I told him to TEST FIRST .
He did the test,...but decided to go ahead an buy them anyway. So,...IT IS NOT ME,...but his choice.. :fu:

Your laughable "defense" is just that. :wink:
You were given the opportunity to agree that the problem WAS NOT Electrical (as you had first suggested)... AS MY SUGGESTED TEST RESULTS PROVED :
Designer wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:37 pm
LSU Tiger wrote;
I think I am ordering new master cylinder and slave parts and take it to my mechanic friend for installation. Agree?
Since all you report points towards this being a Clutch Actuation/Mechanical issue, not an Electrical/Engine Starting issue,...I would agree.
But before you order the Master Cylinder/ Rebuild Parts, best to check to see if the System gets any pressure at all first. Try squeezing the Clutch Lever and crack open the Banjo Bolt just a little to see if any Fluid comes out. If it does, you don't need to rebuild the Master Cylinder or a New one.
What say you hillsy, Herb & Lechy? :uhh:
BUT instead of agreeing with THE OBVIOUS,....your little Wounded Ego just couldn't,.. so you DOUBLED DOWN on your now-proven WRONG ADVICE........ and posted THIS!!
hillsy wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:40 pm
hillsy wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:15 pm
Revisit checking the clutch and stand switches. Jumper the wires together on each one then try again.
More importantly the side stand switch.
What manner of person would ignore THE FACTS SHOWN,...and choose TO DELIBERATELY MISGUIDE A Fellow Motorcycle Rider In Need? :uhh:

You may get a paycheck for working on motorcycles as a "profession",.....but,.... No TRUE PROFESSIONAL Mechanic would do what you did. :roll:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

:funnylast: Just never stops with you, eh?

"Wounded Ego".... :lmao:

Stop talking about yourself :Cool:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Ed and the aussie troll, you dudes are fucking up a decent thread. Take your shit to bitching thread since you have nothing of value to add to this one.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :fubird:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:07 pm
Ed and the aussie troll, you dudes are fucking up a decent thread. Take your shit to bitching thread since you have nothing of value to add to this one.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :fubird:
He's fucking been told more than once to stop fucking up the Tech threads but he obviously doesn't give a shit.

Digs up a 10 month old thread to have another bitch. Fuckwit :fubird:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:16 pm
He's fucking been told more than once to stop fucking up the Tech threads but he obviously doesn't give a shit.
More of your LIES, hillsy.
I have shown that it is YOU that start needless arguments in Those Other Threads with your mindset of..." I'm a mechanic, so I'm always right".

Your fragile ego cannot handle it when some else has workable advice/suggestions....so your stoop to Insult and Ridicule

And I can Show that you have done just that.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:07 pm
The problem is not I,.....None of what you speak would have Ever happened ...IF...hillsy hadn't STARTED IT ALL.

There is absolutely NO NEED for HIM to be attacking others on our Tech Board,... (you and I this time).... by posting this Negativity, Insult and Ridicule.

This Thread was JUST FINE,.......UNTIL........hillsy posted his Personal Attacking Ridicule right here;
hillsy wrote:
verify here;
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12588&start=43

And as I stated,...this sort of Personal Attack on HIS part is done on Other Tech Threads also....for the Reason I stated in my message above.

Again,....NONE OF THIS WOULD HAPPEN IF HILLSY WASN'T STARTING IT WITH INSULT AND RIDICULE

My Dad once said,.....To Fix a problem...you have to go to THE SOURCE to do it.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

hillsy wrote:

Digs up a 10 month old thread to have another bitch. Fuckwit :fubird:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

hillsy wrote:
Digs up a 10 month old thread to have another bitch. Fuckwit
I took your needless argumentative shit about THIS Topic that you were Dragging Down the Other Thread on the Political Board with,... and SAVED that Thread from your SHIT,......by moving YOUR SHIT over here;
Designer wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:07 am
hillsy is back,...dragging down YET ANOTHER THREAD with his needless argument(s)
Best we take this "discussion" over to The Thread it pertains to;
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12588&start=48

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Designer wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:25 am
I took your needless argumentative shit about THIS Topic that you were Dragging Down the Other Thread on the Political Board with,... and SAVED that Thread from your SHIT,......by moving YOUR SHIT over here;
In other words you took an argument from a pointless off-topic folder and dragged it over into the tech board....

Dug up a thread from 10 months ago to have another one of your infantile "Get Hillsy" sessions....

You are a fuckwit...and the "problem" on this forum.