Saddlebags, brackets/supports or luggage rack?

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Saddlebags, brackets/supports or luggage rack?

Post by DonGee »

Hi all. Okay, I've searched this forum and google, but I'm not finding much info.

I'm just looking for a practical way to carry a few things while I'm out riding. I've googled 'til my fingers cramp, but it seems OEM saddlebags and supports are non-existent for the S50, as are anything like a luggage rack. And I haven't found an aftermarket version of any of these things, either. I don't have a sissy bar on the bike, so if a luggage rack is the answer it may mean having to add one. I'm not a metal fabricator, but I'm not opposed to making something home-made work even if it's ugly, but I'd rather not have to drill into the fenders or relocate the turn signals of I don't have to. I can't be the only S50/VS800 owner in this situation. I really don't want to ride with a backpack.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (and links).

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Saddlebags, brackets/supports or luggage rack?

Post by Herb »

This page has a bunch of bags that are "universal" fit to a number of bikes, it also has support brackets for soft saddle bags.

https://www.amazon.com/saddle-bags-moto ... suzuki+c50

If you can't find what you like there you might try checking with Suzuki for the C50T bags and mounts. Maybe go to a dealer and check out a new C50T to see what they look like.

With a little thought and planning, you can make most anything you want work. I have the hard bags and the trunk off of a 79 or 80 Honda gold wing mounted on my 1400. Had to build a whole bunch of brackets and it took 3 tries to get them to work.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that nothing is going to "just work" right out of the box. it's frustrating because there seems to be so much available for other bikes, but nothing for the bastard stepchild S50. I'm pretty sure I could make a variety of bags work, but supports are an issue. The way the side of the frame is on the S50, with the logical points of attaching a support just ahead of the signals and just behind the shock, there's not a lot of room to work with. Nearest I've found that looks like it might work is the Highway Hawk 663-025, but I've really only seen them available overseas, and shipping is almost as much as the supports themselves.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

OEM, rusty but you can paint or powder coat them.
They bolt to the inside of the fender.
And YES they will fit your S50.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254788814012?c ... UYQAvD_BwE

Even a BETTER DEAL.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-VS-800- ... Swld9dL5~E

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Thanks. Yeah, I saw those. Pretty nasty looking, but they're a possibility. The good thing is, I'm not in a big rush. Snow on the ground and I don't imagine I'll be riding for at least another month .

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Did you see these?

Even a BETTER DEAL.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-VS-800- ... Swld9dL5~E

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Sorry. Yes, I did see those, too. Even a stronger possibility.

Frankly, I guess I was hoping that I just wasn't searching the right way, and that somewhere out there, some company was still making new stuff that would fit. Hate to put crappy and torn bags on an otherwise 'like new' looking bike. I really do appreciate the input, though.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

DonGee wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:49 pm
Sorry. Yes, I did see those, too. Even a stronger possibility.

Frankly, I guess I was hoping that I just wasn't searching the right way, and that somewhere out there, some company was still making new stuff that would fit. Hate to put crappy and torn bags on an otherwise 'like new' looking bike. I really do appreciate the input, though.
Here’s a set as new as your probably ever going to find-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-99950-8 ... SwFJFgCCQj

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Thanks for that. However, when I cross-reference the part number and dig a little I see that SADDLEBAG SUPPORTS REQUIRED SOLD SEPERATE

The supports are the tough part. There are lots of options for cheap bags out there. I thought I found NOS supports that one site says are compatible with the S50 but other sites say are not. I may end up ordering them and doing some precise measuring before opening the package and trying them. They have a 30 day return policy, so it may be worth checking out.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

DonGee wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:42 am
Thanks for that. However, when I cross-reference the part number and dig a little I see that SADDLEBAG SUPPORTS REQUIRED SOLD SEPERATE

The supports are the tough part. There are lots of options for cheap bags out there. I thought I found NOS supports that one site says are compatible with the S50 but other sites say are not. I may end up ordering them and doing some precise measuring before opening the package and trying them. They have a 30 day return policy, so it may be worth checking out.
The bags he posted are OEM and do require OEM supports to work.
Those hardback bags are relatively small so you do not need to relocate your turn signals, most larger bags require moving the signals.
Those hardback bags are mounted by using fixture nuts on the shock mount and the rear pillon bolt, then the bag bolts to the fixture nuts. The smaller (rear bolt) is easy to find a fixture nut for. The front is an oddball size, and if they aren't supplied with the bag, could be hard to find.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Looking at those bags, they are the 3 buckle style, a tad larger than the original 2 buckle bag.
They may require moving the turn signals.
I have 2 sets of the 2 buckle bags (990A0-77018) I would consider selling, but unfortunately have used the OEM brackets and aforementioned fixture nuts.

Edit, I found a set WITH the hardware.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-NEW-OLD ... 3909325728

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Great minds think alike. I just found that exact listing a little while ago while searching. In fact, I sent the seller a question asking if he could send a copy of the instructions because I wanted to see if they needed the supports. I really don't want big bags because frankly I don't want to have to relocate the signals. But the listing says these things are still about 14" long.

I'm still wondering if I might be better served (and save a little money) by finding OEM supports and trying out several different bags from Amazon with them. Lots of styles to choose from there, even if most are throw-overs,

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

I have the directions, and I can tell you the DO need the OEM supports.
The metal tab on the bottom rests on them and supports most of the weight...and keeps them from moving towards the wheel.
The hard ABS plastic back will crack without supports.
They are 14", you do NOT need to relocate the signals.
With OEM supports you can use most aftermarket bags.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Looky here, they have some rub marks on them but not too bad. Yes they fit the S50.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265047290002?m ... olid=10001

Edit, I looked thru my stash and found a set in much better condition than these. Almost like new, but I would need to get $60 plus actual shipping. Let me know if you are interested.

Edit again....more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-Suzuki-VS14 ... SwCxtfosRZ

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

PM coming your way, Navigator.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook

Post by DonGee »

Well, I don't know what the deal is but I just tried sending 2 PMs and they're sitting in my Outbox after I hit Submit. Not showing up in Sent. So I guess I'll ask my mounting question here.

I'm a little confused . I thought these supports mounted where indicated in the pic in yellow. But when I measure that distance on my Bike it's 11". I asked the seller to measure the distance between the mounting holes and he shows it as 9 3/4". So now I'm thinking I have the wrong idea about how they mount. Instead of what I thought, should the front mount point be the screw for the seat (red in pic)? That's closer to the 9". And does the mounting point on the support go behind (inside) the fender or between the grab raid and the fender? I can't seem to find instructions for mounting. A close-up pic of the mounting would be really helpful. I really don't want to have to drill holes in the fenders and I don't think I should have to for OEM supports.

Thanks in advance if you can clarify things.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Swcoinguy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 am
Oneida Suzuki has OEM brackets=
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts ... 0-s83.html
Cha-Ching.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

DonGee wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:39 am
PM coming your way, Navigator.
PM'd ya back.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

navigator wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:35 am
Swcoinguy wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 am
Oneida Suzuki has OEM brackets=
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts ... 0-s83.html
Cha-Ching.
Yeah I said they had them not that they were cheap lol. Oneida probably has the largest selection of NOS parts available and they are proud of it :rag: