Struts instead of shocks

Georgey
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2002 1994 1994[2] 1997 vs800

Struts instead of shocks

Post by Georgey »

They are selling these struts on ebay, 10" eye to eye. For those who put on struts and replaced their shocks, any regrets? I've read somewhere (maybe here) that because of the frame/swingarm set up, struts on the intruder aren't advisable. Any thoughts? Input is highly appreciated. Thanks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Lowering-Kit ... 0290.m3507

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Struts instead of shocks

Post by Designer »

Making your 800 a hardtail would be a mistake.

I was told that Sonny Barger once said,..."all the guys who rode hardtails are cripples now".

And from what experience I have,....I can see why.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The problem with struts on a swingarm bike is they transmit the forces directly under the seat and straight to your ass and back.

If you have a look at a proper hardtail you can see the frame is triangulated at the rear to send those forces up into the backbone of the frame, not your ass. They are also designed to have a bit of flex up and down, unlike a strut set up.

This:

Versus this:

So in other words, struts are dumb.

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

LOL Hillsy, that is exactly what I read somewhere here or somewhere else on the interwebs - so I take it that having a spring solo seat (like you have pictured) doesn't help??? Or doesn't help much?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Georgey wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:53 pm
LOL Hillsy, that is exactly what I read somewhere here or somewhere else on the interwebs - so I take it that having a spring solo seat (like you have pictured) doesn't help??? Or doesn't help much?
Of course a sprung seat is going to help to some degree, but it's not going to be anywhere near as effective as a set of shocks.

If you want a bar hopper, then by all means put on struts. But I suspect like most people that buy Intruders you will want to ride the thing rather than look at it.

The only plus with struts is you can try them out - then when you throw them in the bin you'll only be about $20 out of pocket.

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

With my kids I don't have much free time to do more than bar hop (sadly the only hopping I'll be doing is Target hopping). On top of that, because of the weather where I live I have about 4-5 months/year of a decent riding season. And have three other intruders (800s) that have their shocks, so my ass is very familiar with the comfort.

I guess my other concern is any structural damage to the motorcycle - most of the time I can avoid potholes easily, but what happens if when I don't? That worries me as much as the wear and tear to my body.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

If it's just a bar hopper, then the structural integrity will "probably" be OK. Can't really say over long term though. People use struts - but like most things you see on the internet - it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

It's a bit iffy all round with struts - like I said the best thing about them is you can swap them back out if you don't like them - and you aren't out of pocket too much.

Good to hear a have a few other Intruders - at least you're not approaching this from a newbie angle.

Good luck with it!

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

Not a newbie, but definitely not an expert either. And not trying to be a hardcore hardtail biker dude -- I would rather keep the shocks on but I need the clearance for a new exhaust. Just trying out some customizing ideas. I appreciate your advice.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I've seen the 1400's with struts on them and they haven't seen any problems, that they are willing to talk about.

Had a riding buddy with a 750 honda with struts and a king queen seat. What a miserable ride but he rode it from New Bern, NC to a little town outside of Little Rock, AR, and back. Right after he got back he put shocks on it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

Herb wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:09 pm
I've seen the 1400's with struts on them and they haven't seen any problems, that they are willing to talk about.

Had a riding buddy with a 750 honda with struts and a king queen seat. What a miserable ride but he rode it from New Bern, NC to a little town outside of Little Rock, AR, and back. Right after he got back he put shocks on it.
Thanks Herb, good to know about the 1400's and your buddy with the honda. I don't really take long rides anymore, definitely not across several states.

I'm gonna try to do my mods with the shocks and not replace them.

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

Based on everyone's advice, I didn't replace the shocks but I did cut the chrome fender strut rails (that also support the passenger pegs) to shorten the back end (to achieve a "bobber" look on my 2002 vs800).

I can say that even cutting those rails-thingies (and not replacing the shocks), the ride is really stiff/hard. Got the look I wanted, but definitely not as comfortable. So glad I didn't replace the shocks.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Thanks for getting back to us. :ShitGrinandThumb:

One question though,...Are you running the Stock Shocks?

Why I ask is, they tend to be a bit "soft" when the preload is not turned up.

So my hearing that merely cutting off the Fender Braces (some weight loss) seems to have made the ride now,...'"stiff/hard".....would come as a surprise.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

LOL - yeah, I guess I could try to adjust the shocks - they are stock. I've never had a problem with my other intruders, so I've never adjusted them. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Georgey wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:31 am
LOL - yeah, I guess I could try to adjust the shocks - they are stock. I've never had a problem with my other intruders, so I've never adjusted them. Thanks, I'll check it out.
You might find that the Preload was turned up.

Another Intruder Rider I spoke with here found his Stock Shocks Preload was turned all the way up on one side,...and all the way down on the other......BAD!.