relocating the rectifier

Georgey
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2002 1994 1994[2] 1997 vs800

relocating the rectifier

Post by Georgey »

If anybody has successfully relocated their rectifier next to the battery, please let me know - I was thinking of relocating it to a side cover (left or right side cover), but if there's a better place let me know (post a pic if you got one)

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: relocating the rectifier

Post by navigator »

Put it someplace where air will pass over the fins to cool it.

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

Thank you Navigator -- I forgot that that thing gets hot. What do you think if I bend the mounting plate back against the battery box so it is on its side when mounted? ((I'm trying to fit some exhaust pipes and I need the clearance))

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

That plate is pretty robust and probably won't bend easily.
Bending it up will block access to the Neg terminal on the battery, which you will find you need to access quite often.
What pipes are you trying to install that won't pass under the rectifier?

Georgey
Learning My Moped

Post by Georgey »

I actually was able to bang the mounting plate down (not up) so it's not blocking any battery terminals. It's now on the (somewhat) "folded down" flat against the battery box, and it's (partially) providing the clearance I need.

I have these midpipes that I'd like to replace the stock mufflers with (I'll be putting in baffles at the end with fiberglass wrapped around them) that I think would cool with the other mods I plan on making. (I have 4 intruder vs800s and I love them, but I also like modifying them and the challenge of modifying them even more, especially with coronavirus going on).

shaneo2112
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki Intruder VS1400

Post by shaneo2112 »

Georgey wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 pm

I actually was able to bang the mounting plate down (not up) so it's not blocking any battery terminals. It's now on the (somewhat) "folded down" flat against the battery box, and it's (partially) providing the clearance I need.

I have these midpipes that I'd like to replace the stock mufflers with (I'll be putting in baffles at the end with fiberglass wrapped around them) that I think would cool with the other mods I plan on making. (I have 4 intruder vs800s and I love them, but I also like modifying them and the challenge of modifying them even more, especially with coronavirus going on).
:rock: 👍 keep us updated with pics. Always like seeing mods that are done to the bikes 😁
2001 Suzuki Intruder VS1400
*This Space for Rent*
*This Space is Occupied

***************NOTICE*******************
I hit the CTRL key, but I'm still not in control!
This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!