Forward controls

cruiserlover
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 82 aspencade

Forward controls

Post by cruiserlover »

Just got my 02 800.i need forward controls.i have a old tc bros set from a set used on a yamaha i will try to adapt.the massive perch the stock controls sit on seems unmodifiable. No way im paying hundreds for some late and great kit someone made. Yall ever do this. I had an 01 marauder and forward was stock.
Owner of 2002 intruder. Not volusia. Mine has the good engine design.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Forward controls

Post by navigator »

unmooifiable???
I remember someone fabricating a plate and moving the whole peg bracket forward to make their own forwards.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Do a search for "the ricker"

cruiserlover
Practicing Bicycling

Post by cruiserlover »

Is that big square to move the whole thing forward on?

cruiserlover
Practicing Bicycling

Post by cruiserlover »

Dont know to do search.typed in the ricker.nothing happened

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

It is just a heavy flat plate drilled to bolt in place of the peg bracket and drilled the same on the other end to bolt the bracket to it. The length of the plate will have to be at your discretion.

I searched for Ricker forwards and cam up with this.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... r+forwards
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Grow old disgracefully young man.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

The belly pan is the easy part. Does anyone have info about the shifter and brake pieces that are needed? After the shifter is moved forward how is the shifter peg connected to the splined shifter rod coming out of the engine? How is the brake side connected to the brake pedal that is now extended forward?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Rose joints and a bit of imagination.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-16-x-3-16- ... Swh1haCW1h
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Threaded rod and heim joints are a given but the heim joint isn’t going to attach to the splined shift shaft at the motor. Is there something other than cutting a stock shift rod and welding a pin or bolt to it that will attach to the shift shaft?
I’m all for the custom fab aspect of it but to completely fabricate every little piece is probably more than most people are willing to get involved with. I’m just wondering what the easiest way to accomplish this is.
The Mapam forwards on my ‘02 have multiple parts that fit together just right to make them function perfectly. Even then I was able to make them perform better than the manufacturer. Not everyone is able to create functional pieces for the Ricker mod.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Swcoinguy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Threaded rod and heim joints are a given but the heim joint isn’t going to attach to the splined shift shaft at the motor. Is there something other than cutting a stock shift rod and welding a pin or bolt to it that will attach to the shift shaft?
I’m all for the custom fab aspect of it but to completely fabricate every little piece is probably more than most people are willing to get involved with. I’m just wondering what the easiest way to accomplish this is.
The Mapam forwards on my ‘02 have multiple parts that fit together just right to make them function perfectly. Even then I was able to make them perform better than the manufacturer. Not everyone is able to create functional pieces for the Ricker mod.
The 800 already has a threaded rod for the shifter with a separate piece that attaches to the splined rod. Just swap out the rod that is there for a longer one.

The brake is cable actuated many places can make a longer cable.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

The 800 already has a threaded rod for the shifter with a separate piece that attaches to the splined rod. Just swap out the rod that is there for a longer one.

Not on mine. The OEM shifter on my ‘02 was just the shifter arm that connects directly to the shift shaft coming from the motor.
Here is what the OEM shifter looks like-https://www.ebay.com/itm/92-04-Suzuki-I ... %3A2334524

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Just for shits and giggles I looked up the vs1400 shifter assembly. The 1400 has a rod that connects the shifter arm to the splined piece that attaches to the shift shaft. It’s clear now why the Ricker mod works on the 1400 much easier than on the 800.
If the shaft attachment from the 1400 is the same size splined section as the shift shaft from the 800 then that piece could be used to connect the shifter arm to the shift shaft with threaded rod and heim joints.

Smerft85
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 98 vs800 05 victory vegas 8 ba

Post by Smerft85 »

Swcoinguy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:10 pm
Just for shits and giggles I looked up the vs1400 shifter assembly. The 1400 has a rod that connects the shifter arm to the splined piece that attaches to the shift shaft. It’s clear now why the Ricker mod works on the 1400 much easier than on the 800.
If the shaft attachment from the 1400 is the same size splined section as the shift shaft from the 800 then that piece could be used to connect the shifter arm to the shift shaft with threaded rod and heim joints.
Not sure if you're still looking or not, but I have an extra set of forwards I would consider parting with after I paint my new ones, they aren't homemade, but could use a new piece of hardware or two.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Smerft85 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:02 pm
Not sure if you're still looking or not, but I have an extra set of forwards I would consider parting with after I paint my new ones, they aren't homemade, but could use a new piece of hardware or two.
I appreciate the offer but I have a set of Mapam forwards. I read this thread and knew it wasn’t a simple “put this plate on and go” scenario. I wanted all of the info necessary to complete the job so someone reading it could accomplish the task. The other posters left a lot of info out regarding the completion of this mod. I wouldn’t try this on a VS800 it’s designed for the 1400 and would need more work than some would realize.
Again - I thank you for the offer though. Maybe someone less on here is looking for a set. Post your extra set in the for sale section and you’ll probably sell them.