Pick up coil hit the flywheel!

Toyshop9665
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Yamaha RD400

Pick up coil hit the flywheel!

Post by Toyshop9665 »

Hello everyone. A little back story on me. I’ve been wrenching on small engines for about ten years off and on and I’ve started a little side hustle bringing in customer work. Well I’ve got in here a 2000 Suzuki intruder 800. The guy said that he was riding it in a parade and it stalled. He found that it lost spark and he proceeded to tear apart the rear air box and take the fuse panel out of it and the battery box. No luck. So two years later he brings me boxes of parts and asks if I can look at it. Tested the stator and pick up and the pickup was out of spec. So I ordered a Caltric stator/pickup new off of eBay thinking it was my cheapest option like $60. So I install it and still nothing. I found that the one pickup bolt vibrated out and fell out letting the pickup pivot down and bounce off the stator and broke the plastic. It did beat up the bosses on the outside of the stator. Does the pickup need a sharp edge to pickup a signal? Will it be out of time now? Is there any way to check clearance of the pickup? Can I test the signal from the pickup? Any help? I have a Clymer manual and I’ve tested most of the switches. Thanks!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Pick up coil hit the flywheel!

Post by navigator »

Lots of info in the service manual found here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3346

Toyshop9665
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Toyshop9665 »

It says I don’t have permission to see it. Could it be that I’m on my phone?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Permission???
You can't see the thread? Or is it you can't see the pdf download.
The download is rather large...you may want to try something other than a phone.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

The pdf is 15279KB of data.

Toyshop9665
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Toyshop9665 »

I got it. My phone must have logged me out when I clicked on the link lol So I read down through the electrical section and nothing regarding any gapping of the pick up coil just how it works and it shows 2 pick up coils and this bike has one which from my understanding is just a year difference. I don't want the tell the guy he needs a new flywheel because theres some rounded off corners on the pick up bosses. I did try quickly shimming out the pickup towards the outer side of the bosses because the outer edge didnt get hit, just the inside edge did. I pulled the cover off and half-as*ed a method of checking the gap by putting the old pickup back on and cutting a zip tie down until it just fit between what was left of the old pick up and the stator and then put the new one on and checked and the new one was probably .040 farther away. So I drilled the holes out a little bigger and did a little massaging of the bracket got it closer but its still probably .010 -.020 farther away than the dinged up old pick up. I have a Snap-on multimeter and set it to voltage MAX thinking it might read the max amount of voltage that the pickup might be sending and I got .8V which from what I've read about pickups they should read around 12V? Not sure if thats the correct way to do it or not but Id like to be able to eliminate the pickup as a possible issue.