Okay, time for some tire talk

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Okay, time for some tire talk

Post by sgtcall »

I had Bridgestone, Shinko, and Metzeler on my intruder. Unlike Nav I don't really track how many miles I get but I can tell you the Metzelers were great tires and I the tread last longer than the tire. In fact the things had dry rot cracks on the side wall so they failed the inspection in Germany. I am not sure if the age of the tire was the issue or the 5 months in a crate being shipped over to Germany caused the rot. Probably both. Overall I would say they are worth the money in the long run.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I don't like the dunlop tires. I had a set on my 87 when I lived on the coast of NC and there were a lot of grated bridges, the dunlops caused much more "dance", I also found that they will "dance" on groved pavement much worse than the Kenda or Shinko. The rear dunlops also didnt' wear as long as the Kenda and Shinko.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Post by DonGee »

Thank you for your thoughts. Interestingly, one of the consistent comments I've seen about the Metzlers is regarding dry rot.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

DonGee wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:05 pm
Thank you for your thoughts. Interestingly, one of the consistent comments I've seen about the Metzlers is regarding dry rot.
True but mine were 7 or 8 years old and the bike was stored twice for shipping overseas and sat parked for 2 deployments that were 12+ months each, so the dry rot was kind of expected.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

FWIW I put a brand new set of Dunlop D404's on my 1500 before a big trip. Tyres were OK but after nearly 6K miles the rear was nearly worn out. I went to a car tyre rear after that with a Battlax front but that's a whole different story.

sky02
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: VS1400 93

Post by sky02 »

I suggest Avon Cobra Chrome. I have them on my bike and it cuts through corners like beast on twisty mountain roads. I also had Shinkos 777 and they are great too if you want something with aggressive rounded profile that will make bike more nimble and easy to steer.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Post by DonGee »

Thanks for the comments. I'm way less concerned about hard cornering ability and more about longevity as I'm a pretty conservative rider. With this thing I can lean only so far before the pegs hit and my heart skips a few beats. :)

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

sky02 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:39 pm
I suggest Avon Cobra Chrome. I have them on my bike and it cuts through corners like beast on twisty mountain roads. I also had Shinkos 777 and they are great too if you want something with aggressive rounded profile that will make bike more nimble and easy to steer.
I have the Avon Cobra's on my Triumph and I do like them. I am at around 7,500 miles and plenty of tread left, in fact they show very little wear at all.