SHOCK MOUNTS WERE CUT

Chaulkboard
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 suzuki intruder vs800

SHOCK MOUNTS WERE CUT

Post by Chaulkboard »

So I have a 2003 vs800 I'm working on, and some dumbass I had over decided it would be a great idea to grind down my shock mounts... Now I have smaller diameter mounts, I'm not sure if I can replace these (does not look like it) or can I just weld it back up to the stock diameter. Thanks in advance, I'm really stuck at this point.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: SHOCK MOUNTS WERE CUT

Post by navigator »

I believe they are part of the frame.
How much undersized?
Buy or fabricate bushings perhaps?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You could weld new ones in but you would want to be pretty confident you can do a good job of it. Kind of a critical part that you don't want to fail.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Maybe a photo would help advise?
As I recall, my Progressive shocks came with a selection of steel tubes to fit inside the eye of the shock, to match the bike's mount. Something like this would do, if you can find the proper ID and OD. Or, if you can find round stock that fits the shock, you could drill the center to match your 'new' mounts.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

my concern would be how much undersize did he take them? Was it enough that it would weaken them to the point of a possible failure?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Herb wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:53 pm
my concern would be how much undersize did he take them? Was it enough that it would weaken them to the point of a possible failure?
This is a reason I suggested a photo. Not only could the size reduction weaken the mounts, but grinding them could have compromised the welds. Not sure why anyone would want to reduce them, unless they had shocks with small openings.
Florissant, MO

Chaulkboard
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Chaulkboard »

Hey thanks for the input guys, I'll get a pic after work today, I think finding a bushing and welding it to the ground down mount might be the best option. Im a welder by trade, so I do have confidence to weld bushings over the mounts. Im curious as to what would be better, structurally, for that critical part, welding the mount up to the proper OD, which could possibly compromise the stock weld on the frame, or welding a small amount to get a bushing on.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Chaulkboard wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 am
Hey thanks for the input guys, I'll get a pic after work today, I think finding a bushing and welding it to the ground down mount might be the best option. Im a welder by trade, so I do have confidence to weld bushings over the mounts. Im curious as to what would be better, structurally, for that critical part, welding the mount up to the proper OD, which could possibly compromise the stock weld on the frame, or welding a small amount to get a bushing on.
Do you mean building it up to fit the ID of a bushing? If you can't find a bushing with ID and OD of the proper dimensions, you may have to do that anyway. I was picturing applying a bead around the end of bushing at the frame, thus reinforcing that weld, but making sure the shock would still fit to it. You're the welder, though, you should be able to see what needs done, strength wise.
Florissant, MO

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

If you weld a bushing in place, may I suggest installing a shock, tacking the bushing to insure proper alignment.
Remove the shock and weld both ends of the bushing in place.

Chaulkboard
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Chaulkboard »

I can weld yes, but I'm new to the automotive welding, let alone bike frames, I'm mainly industrial pipe and structural, I haven't ventured to the automotive stuff yet. From what I'm hearing from you guys I think the best way will be put a bushing over the ground down area and TIG weld it in place, that way ill be putting less heat onto that mounting area.

The size is now 7/16" - 1/2"

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Chaulkboard wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:47 pm
I can weld yes, but I'm new to the automotive welding, let alone bike frames, I'm mainly industrial pipe and structural, I haven't ventured to the automotive stuff yet. From what I'm hearing from you guys I think the best way will be put a bushing over the ground down area and TIG weld it in place, that way ill be putting less heat onto that mounting area.

The size is now 7/16" - 1/2"

I may have what you need:
2 bushings, 10mm ID, will slide over your threads, 14mm OD, stock mount size for your shocks.
A little more grinding and you can weld these in place.
Jingle me through my profile email.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

If you ignore the little lamps welded in place of the passenger handles, it looks very much like the shock mount area is only somewhat damaged, if you compare to this one: https://suncoastcyclesports.com/96-suzu ... rame-slvg/

Are you sure the shock bushing and spacer ID is 14mm, Nav? NVM - I remembered I still have the shocks I removed from my S50, so measured them; 14mm is correct. Anyone want a set of fairly low mileage shocks from an S50?
Florissant, MO

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Yea, I have stock shocks here, and a parts bike to measure off of.
I went through my bushings that came with the Progressives and found some he may be able to use.
I PM'd him, we will see if he gets back to me.

Intruder04Jamin
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 suzuki intruder vs 800

Post by Intruder04Jamin »

WintrSol wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:50 pm
If you ignore the little lamps welded in place of the passenger handles, it looks very much like the shock mount area is only somewhat damaged, if you compare to this one: https://suncoastcyclesports.com/96-suzu ... rame-slvg/

Are you sure the shock bushing and spacer ID is 14mm, Nav? NVM - I remembered I still have the shocks I removed from my S50, so measured them; 14mm is correct. Anyone want a set of fairly low mileage shocks from an S50?
I recently used a wrench in place of my shock,kind of a stiff ride. Ended up putting in snowmobile shocks, not the best but better than a wrench... dont know if you still have or if an s50 is compatible but I would be interested depending what your asking for them

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

S50 and VS800 shocks are identical.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Intruder04Jamin wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:15 pm
I recently used a wrench in place of my shock,kind of a stiff ride. Ended up putting in snowmobile shocks, not the best but better than a wrench... dont know if you still have or if an s50 is compatible but I would be interested depending what your asking for them
If you're in a reasonable driving distance from Florissant, MO, we can meet and I'll give them to you. They're just taking up space on a shelf.
Weight is ~10 pounds, so shipping could be $$$, depending on where you are, but if you want to pay shipping, I can do that, too.
Florissant, MO

Intruder04Jamin
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 suzuki intruder vs 800

Post by Intruder04Jamin »

It looks like post office would do a if it fits it ships for 15.50
I am in idaho, I would be able to purchase the package and you would just have to print the prepaid label and drop them in a box...

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Sounds good. Box is 17"x6-3/4"x3-3/4", rounded up. I'll send you my email via PM.
Florissant, MO