Bad Battery?

CB3
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2007 S50

Bad Battery?

Post by CB3 »

I went to start my 2007 S50 last weekend but it wouldn't start. It cranked over just a little, not even a full rev, and then stopped. When I tried to start it again the indicator lights just got dim but the starter didn't rotate anymore.

I put the bike on a smart trickle charger for the week. (It's usually on this charger when the bike is parked, but I made sure that all the connections were good and let it sit.) Yesterday the lights on the charger said it was fully charged so I tried again. I got nothing when I turned the key on, no lights or anything.

I assumed it was a bad battery so I removed it. This is a Motobatt AGM battery that is a little over 8 years old and has been super reliable. It is connected with star washers.

I measured the battery voltage after it was removed yesterday and it was at 13.2 volts. This morning it measured 12.9 volts. These seem like good voltages for a battery. If I put a test light across the terminals it lights up.

Before I buy a new battery, is there anything you recommend that I check on the bike? I'd appreciate your suggestions.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Bad Battery?

Post by WintrSol »

I recommend you take the battery to an auto parts store and ask them to test it. At 8 years, that battery is on borrowed time, anyway.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

CB3
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2007 S50

Re: Bad Battery?

Post by CB3 »

That's a good idea, I'll do that.

By the way, I was a member of the intruderalert.com site years ago, before it went down. I remember you from there along with Navigator, High Desert Intruder, Bronx Intruder, Lechy, and others.

You all helped me do a lot of things on my bike that I never would have been able to do otherwise. From basic maintenance like oil & coolant changes to replacing brakes & bleeding brakes + clutch, to even putting on forward controls! You even helped me solve my ignition problem with star washers.

Thanks very much to you and all for the support and advice over the years. I really appreciate it. I'm glad I found this site earlier this year.