Clutch not working

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 VS 800 Intruder

Clutch not working

Post by LSU Tiger »

I have a 2000 vs800 with 76,000. My clutch will not work. I bled the line and it still does not work. When I put it in gear it jumps and goes dead. I think I have all the air out of the line. What else could the problem be? We rebuilt the clutch parts on the handlebar a few years ago. Thanks.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Clutch not working

Post by navigator »

It's probably still air in the line. It is very difficult to remove.
Try reverse bleeding, and also cracking the banjo fitting to bleed there.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

Navigator, thanks. I will try reverse bleeding as per Clymer manual.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

When you do that, move the reservoir so the banjo is lower than the rest of the MC, so air will be pushed up and out.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

We took the banjo bolt off and held my thumb over the hole and pumped the lever. There was pressure there so I quickly put the banjo bolt back on. We bled the line and got a bunch of air out but still no pressure on the clutch. We bled it until there was no air in the drain tube. When I crank it and put it in gear it lunges forward. So next is to reverse bleed. What does he mean by putting the banjo bolt lower than the rest of the master cylinder? I assume MC is master cylinder. I drilled a hole in the top of a twelve ounce can of brake fluid and put a four foot clear tube in the can of brake fluid. Will I need to drill a hole in the top of the brake fluid can so it can get air? Do I back bleed it with the banjo bolt loose from the master cylinder? Then pump the lever with my thumb over the hole and put the banjo bolt back in? Or do I leave the banjo bolt screwed in and which will force the fluid into the reservoir? Thanks.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

The problem is usually a high spot in the line as it snakes along the frame.
COVER your paint.
You can use a pump style oil can and force brake fluid through the bleeder on the slave...or you can hang a funnel above the master cylinder (MC) level and gravity feed fluid down a tube from the funnel through the slave cylinder.
If you use a pump, fluid can easily be forced through the small hole in the floor of the MC and shoot fluid 6 feet out of the hole so be careful. If you use gravity the process is much slower, keep the funnel full until the MC is full, then pinch off the funnel hose with some vice grips and close the bleeder.
What he means is to either loosen the clamp on the MC and slide it along the handlebar...or turn the handlebar until the banjo bolt fitting is at the lowest point of the MC, you may want the MC at a slight angle upward from the banjo to let the air rise up and out of the small holes in the MC floor.
Either way the fluid will fill from the bottom and force the air upwards and out.

Pump style can:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_5751 ... pcQAvD_BwE

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

CLUTCH IS WORKING GREAT. I did what you said witH an oil can pump, First thing I did was slide the MC on the handlebar until the banjo was lower than the hole in the MC. Then hooked a clear line full of fluid (on the oil can pump) to the slave. A few pumps and a few air bubbles later and everything is great. The metal plate under the cover came off and there was a lot of crud to clean up. THANKS. THANKS VERY MUCH.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

LSU Tiger wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:31 pm
CLUTCH IS WORKING GREAT. I did what you said witH an oil can pump, First thing I did was slide the MC on the handlebar until the banjo was lower than the hole in the MC. Then hooked a clear line full of fluid (on the oil can pump) to the slave. A few pumps and a few air bubbles later and everything is great. The metal plate under the cover came off and there was a lot of crud to clean up. THANKS. THANKS VERY MUCH.
I love it when a plan comes together! :cheers: