Need advise ???

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Need advise ???

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I have a 1999 Intruder VS800 and have let it sit outside in the weather for two years. Now I want to try and get it running again. Yes, I know wrong time of year for this bs, but I am tired of looking at it just sitting there and not being able to go anywhere. It was (still is) a great bike and took me over 100,000 miles. Back to my question, other than a new battery and fluids (oil, brake and clutch and fuel) what should I be looking at and changing (needs winter air in tires once I put a bike tire on the back)? Come to think about it I probably need a new front tire as well. :bonk: The clutch and front brake handles are frozen and won't move. I figure a little wd 40 should fix that problem. It will probably need fork seals once I get it running. I put forward control foot pegs on it and rode it about 10 miles before I parked it. :uhh: That will all need to be taken loose and have permatex blue threadlocker put on everything that might come loose.

I do plan on going back to the DS tire as soon as I figure a way to get the tire put on the rim. I'll also use the Dyna bead balancing beads which I had in there before. So are fluids and tires with a new battery about it? Oh, it will need new spark plugs and Seafoam for the carbs as I imagine they are gummed up. I sure hope I don't have to mess with those as I hate, with a passion, working on them. If nothing else I can take it to a dealer and get the carbs worked on. Damn, that means I will need a pickup or a trailer to take it to the dealer and I don't have either and don't know anyone that does. :bonk: Anyway, thanks for any advise you can give and thanks for stopping by and reading my thread. :bow: :space: :ShitGrinandThumb:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Need advise ???

Post by navigator »

Clean any critters out of the airboxes.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: Need advise ???

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I have airboxes? Will do while I have the tank off trying to repaint it a dull black. That aught to look great with the grape maroon frame. But I will be repainting the fenders also, so I'll end up with a two tone bike. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: