Clutch Problem

ncline8
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 94 VS800 Intruder

Clutch Problem

Post by ncline8 »

Lurker here really just gleaning more than giving but I need a little help.
I have a 94 Intruder VS800 that hadn't been driven for a couple years so the brake master went out and after cleaning up the carbs (what a pain to get out on this machine) and rebuilding the brake master cylinder I took it out riding and notices the "fading" clutch. Starts out great with just a tiny bit of slip on heavy acceleration gradually getting worse to not being able to make it up the hill after a 30 minute ride.
I cleaned and flushed the clutch master that had the gunk all built up in it and flushed and bled the system with same result.
Decided to do the clutch, so I pulled it apart to inspect. I don't know what the specs are for the discs but I ordered a new set along with a new set of stronger springs and the cover gasket. Well with all this COVID crap going on it took over two weeks to get the gasket with the other stuff trailing in several days apart.
Anyway last night I get put it all together and notice that I can't squeeze the clutch lever. So I check further and the "push rod"? that pushes out the pressure plate is stuck out and won't go back in. the clutch lever is rock solid and won't compress at all. At first I didn't notice the pressure place crooked because it wasn't turning I put the cover on and everything before I even pulled the clutch lever because I live alone in the boonies and no one has been there to pull the clutch to mess anything up. When I pulled on the clutch lever and it wouldn't move I thought damn those are heavier springs but after pulling it back apart that wasn't it.
Will I be able to just pull the slave cylinder and relieve pressure and push it back in or is there something else I need to be looking at?

TIA Nathan

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Clutch Problem

Post by WintrSol »

Sounds like the tiny hole between the reservoir and master cylinder is blocked, and won't relieve the pressure that builds up as the engine gets hot. It could be anything blocking it, but if the line hasn't been replaced in many years, if at all, it could be shedding little bits into the fluid, which makes its way to that hole.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

ncline8
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ncline8 »

So to test this I could crack the line at either the slave or master and then be able to push the actuator rod back in?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Yup, crack either end to relieve the pressure.
Then retighten.
Then remove the slave cylinder to expose the push rod.
WintrSol is right. the two tiny holes in the master cylinder floor can get blocked...clean them with a wire plucked from a wire brush.
If the problem persists, your hose interior is decomposing.

ncline8
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ncline8 »

I will give that a try tonight thanks.
Nathan

ncline8
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ncline8 »

You were right on target. I released the banjo bolt and had fluid squirt everywhere and then everything went together correctly flushed the master one more time and everything is working again as it should. If it happens again I will know to replace the rubber lines.
Again thanks for the assist!
Nathan