High Tension Cord?

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

High Tension Cord?

Post by rocksandhammers »

Hey IA, starting to take stuff off the bike to remove the engine. Trying to follow the manual exactly, but early on after removing the seat and battery is says to remove the high tension cord (pg 3-3). I’ve been staring at the last pic on that page pointing to something under the swing arm, but it’s too shitty for me to really tell. Is it talking about the rear brake line?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: High Tension Cord?

Post by navigator »

I believe they are referring to the Positive battery lead....which if you are following the manual exactly you have already removed. :ShitGrin:
Notice they say 'remove the seat and left and right side covers'. Now we both know you can't do it in that order.

Don't get too hung up on the exact instructions, the manual is a great reference, but...use your head. You will be pulling off parts that are in the way to get to the motor.
DO take alot of pictures for your own reference, especially wire and hose routing, they will help you on reassembly.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

And if you are removing the battery cables, disconnect the negative one first - fewer sparks that way.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Most bikes have an earth lead (about the same gauge as the neg battery lead) running from the chassis to the engine, or the actual negative lead grounding straight on the engine case. That's probably what they mean? It would be at the rear of the engine.

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

navigator wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:25 pm
I believe they are referring to the Positive battery lead....which if you are following the manual exactly you have already removed.
That makes sense. The arrow in the pic looks like it’s pointing at the battery lead, but I had already removed the battery and it was throwing me off. Thanks for the info.

WintrSol wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:28 pm
And if you are removing the battery cables, disconnect the negative one first - fewer sparks that way.
Learned this the hard way the first year wrenching on the bike. Seeing sparks shoot off the battery scared the shit out of me when it happened.

hillsy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:33 pm
Most bikes have an earth lead (about the same gauge as the neg battery lead) running from the chassis to the engine, or the actual negative lead grounding straight on the engine case. That's probably what they mean? It would be at the rear of the engine.
Yeah, that seems right based off navigators response.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

hillsy wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:33 pm
On the 800 the Neg battery lead attaches directly to the engine....just above the oil level window on the right side.
The manual is pointing to the Pos lead. Either way they both need disconnecting.