Fixing front fork leak - '93 800

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Fixing front fork leak - '93 800

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Herb wrote:I bought a 3/8ths drive set of metric Allen wrenches from Harbor Freight that has a 7 mm in it.
Problem with them is the shank isn't long enough to reach about 4" up into that tunnel, and the tunnel is too narrow for the socket...maybe a 1/4" drive would fit.....or replace the short shank with a longer one.
I have never worked on the 800 and have never seen forks with a bolt that was set that far up. The reason I bought the set was to get the spring compression bolt out of the top of the 1400 forks. The bottom bolt isn't that far up.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Post by panamaniac »

Got a set with a 7 but it’s too big, even with the bolt partly stripped. Was able to get a star driver in there with a friend’s impact wrench but that didn’t work either. Pretty stumped at this point as no tool I’ve tried fits the hex hole well.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Pretty sure it is a 6mm, but now you have jammed a star (torx?) in there?
At this point it may well be stripped out.
Sorry, can't offer much more. :donno:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

You'll probably need to drill the head off the bolt at this point.

Or pry the seal out with the fork in place and forget about the bolt.

There's probably some dodgy videos on YouTube on how to pry out the seal. I've seen guys use drywall screws....

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

Ya seems I have not more options...spent $60 today on various Allen keys, including the “non slip” kind that are supposed to wink on very rounded holes, but it wasn’t even close to working. Honestly doesn’t seem that stripped out to me but what do I know. Also got in car accident going to the autozone for the 4th time to try to solve this problem and spent an hour with insurance. No one hurt so that’s good. So overall it’s been a fun day.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Here you go:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1142086

Dodgy, but a solution nonetheless.....

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

Thanks Hillsy. Doesn’t look super doable for me so far based on multiple attempts. Hardware store was already closed so went to auto store, got bolt extractor kits for $30, another waste of money, no good.

At this point I’ll either take the forks to someone (will a mechanic fix these bolts for me?) or else burn down my house with me inside. Ughh, I know I’m supposed to be zen about this stuff, why do I get so angry? I think part of it is bc it’s just “a tiny bolt” that’s completely defeating me and taking up my entire day and costing me hundreds with literally no progress so far.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

A machine shop would be your best bet - the only thing you can do if the head is stripped out is to drill the head off. They probably won't have a replacement bolt though being metric.

If it was me I'd be trying to pry the seal out. Then again I've got a box full of bolts so I'd probably drill the head off the bolt...lol...

BTW - how are the forks as far as pitting / rust goes? If they are pitted where the seals pass them in travel then they will just leak again.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

panamaniac wrote:Thanks Hillsy. Doesn’t look super doable for me so far based on multiple attempts. Hardware store was already closed so went to auto store, got bolt extractor kits for $30, another waste of money, no good.

At this point I’ll either take the forks to someone (will a mechanic fix these bolts for me?) or else burn down my house with me inside. Ughh, I know I’m supposed to be zen about this stuff, why do I get so angry? I think part of it is bc it’s just “a tiny bolt” that’s completely defeating me and taking up my entire day and costing me hundreds with literally no progress so far.
Shit happens and sometimes it is just about having the correct tool to do the job and not the fault of the person doing the work.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

PM sent.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Try this link for conversion sizes.
https://handtoolessentials.com/blog/too ... en-wrench/

Also where are you? If you are close to someone we might be able to help out.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Also there is an allen key in the stock tool kit. Is that one not the correct size?
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

Thanks, all. I ended up taking Hillsy's advice and went to a machine shop. The guy there seemed a bit skeptical but is going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm in Salt Lake City.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

sgtcall wrote:Try this link for conversion sizes.
https://handtoolessentials.com/blog/too ... en-wrench/

Also where are you? If you are close to someone we might be able to help out.
Thanks, sgt. I tried several sizes, but the 6mm fit best and fit poorly. :donno:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Salt Lake City is a little far for me but if you re ever in New Jersey and need help let me know.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

sgtcall wrote:Salt Lake City is a little far for me but if you re ever in New Jersey and need help let me know.
Thanks for the offer, Sgt. Here's hoping I do a cross-country trip one day and break down in NJ :cheers:

Hey, the machine shop called and said they got the bolts out! Headed over to get them now, then off to a big box store to see if I can replace the bolts (not sure how likely that'll be). If anyone has tips on matching bolts that aren't the usual "find the parts catalog on a motorcycle shop website, order them, pay $10 shipping for $2 in parts, then wait 10 days for them," I'm all ears :naughty:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

panamaniac wrote:Thanks, all. I ended up taking Hillsy's advice and went to a machine shop. The guy there seemed a bit skeptical but is going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm in Salt Lake City.
Don't feel like this is some sort of defeat - the fact the shop guy seemed skeptical tells you it's not an easy job.

And I dare say the PO fubar'd the bolt for you at some stage.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

I think this is what you are looking for. A good powersports store near you may have them in stock. The same bolt fits several other metric bikes. Don't forget the washer.

BOLT(8X27)
https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempart ... 1-k2-k3-k4

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya/ ... 4748130000

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook

Post by panamaniac »

Thanks all. He said there was "a lot" of loctite on the bolts—am I supposed to reapply when I reinstall? Either way that could definitely explain why it was so hard. :lmao:

And I was actually able to find the right bolts at Home Depot—M8, 1.25 thread, 25mm length. I was able to reuse the washers, but if you need new washers, M7 washers will fit the outside diameter you're looking for, but will need to be drilled out on the inside to fit over the M8 bolt thread. And confirmed that these M8 bolts definitely use a 6mm allen key!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

It is a brass washer/seal similar to banjo bolt washers.
The size is probably M8-1.25, I m unsure of the length....maybe 25mm?
If they were good they saved the washer.
DO not use loctite!!!
I'd use neversieze, JMO.