How to check oil when can not see oil in sight

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 VS 800 Intruder

How to check oil when can not see oil in sight

Post by LSU Tiger »

I have a 2000 vs800 with 75000 miles. My oil and temperature light comes on after I drive about one block. I put oil in it recently but I have driven about 300 miles. Not hard miles. Usually it does not use oil. I can not see the oil line so I think I have overfilled the crankcase. How can I check the oil level without looking thru the site glass? I could lean it to the right and see if I see an oil line in the site glass but I do not have help now. Thanks. Joey Broome

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: How to check oil when can not see oil in sight

Post by hillsy »

If both oil and temp lights are coming on straight away I'd suspect some sort of fault in the circuits or maybe it's a diagnostic warning issue.

If they've come on and you've ridden 300 miles I'd safely say you have oil in there.

You can use a mirror to check the oil level whilst you are sitting on the bike. It will take a bit of trial and error to work out where to place it though.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Exactly what do you mean by "I put oil in it recently". Did you just top it off, or change the oil? If top it off, I'd suggest you drain it, maybe measure what comes out, and put in 2.5 quarts of fresh oil, 3 if you change the filter too. When you hold the bike vertical, you should see oil in the glass.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

The last time I had a problem both the oil and temperature lights stayed on. Turned out it was a loose connection with the wire where the oil sensor goes into the crankcase. I just checked that wire and it seemed tight.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

I will drain it tomorrow.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Have a good look at the sight glass when the oil is drained - they can blacken from behind and make viewing the oil difficult.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

When you have the oil out, remove the oil screen cover situated a little to the rear of the drain bolt, a small plate with 4 bolts. Don't try to remove the screen, use an old toothbrush and gasoline to clean it, examine what crap if any is lurking in the recesses of the plate.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Lechy wrote:When you have the oil out, remove the oil screen cover situated a little to the rear of the drain bolt, a small plate with 4 bolts. Don't try to remove the screen, use an old toothbrush and gasoline to clean it, examine what crap if any is lurking in the recesses of the plate.
[emoji41]
+1 Always a good idea with a 20 year old bike, especially so if you don't know all its history. [emoji106]
Florissant, MO

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

I changed the oil and filter and the oil and temperature lights do not come on. I did not read the post in time to clean the screen behind the oil plug. I know which screen you are talking about. I tried removing that screen several years ago but I was afraid of stripping the bolts as they were too tight to break loose with my phillips head screw driver. I will clean it with a toothbrush next time I change the oil. Thanks.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

It would be awkward, but if you have a tall enough lift, you can use a hammer driver to help with those screws. BTW, they are not really Philllip's head, but what is commonly called JASO, and the Phillip's doesn't fit well. If you can't get a hammer driver to work, just rapping around the head with a small hammer could loosen them enough to get them started out.
Florissant, MO

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

That screen really doesn't need to come out.
Just clean it like Lechy says.
The debris, if any will be in the cover below it.