Stupid question about fork spring install

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Stupid question about fork spring install

Post by rocksandhammers »

So I finally got my fork spring kit from Progressive Suspension a couple weeks ago and got around to putting everything together. I got the forks off and the old springs out. Refilled the forks with fluid and made sure to set the height to what the progressive instructions stated (140 mm I think). I didn't realize until this afternoon however that I needed to shorten the metal spacer on top of the spring since they're longer than the stock. It says the spacer can be shortened from the stock ones, which are over twice as long as the 2.87" recommended in the directions.

So now for my stupid question, what's the best way to go about shortening them? I tried to do one with just a hand hack saw and a vice but quite frankly I mucked it up and did a terrible job. Thankfully as I said the stock ones are long enough that I should be able to get both out of one spacer with room to spare, but I'm not sure what the most accurate way of doing this is. Is there a certain type of saw or grinder or something I should get? Also, once I cut them what if anything should I do to the cut end to make sure it's not too sharp or anything. Thanks for any help.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Stupid question about fork spring install

Post by navigator »

I've done this replacement on 5 bikes.
Go to home depot and buy a one foot length of 3/4" diameter white PVC plastic water pipe.
Cut to the 2.87" length. I cut to finish size on a lathe, but you can wrap the pipe with masking tape to mark a square end. Then cut with a hacksaw.
You will be close enough. you can also square the ends with a file or a block of wood and sandpaper.
Use the washer between the spacer and spring. The PVC is plenty strong enough for this job.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

What Nav said - the PVC is way strong enough for this application and the good thing about that is you can experiment with slightly different lengths to change your pre-load.

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast

Awesome. That’s what I’ll do. Thanks for the tip navigator.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Post by panamaniac »

Late to the party but I actually used my miter saw for this, got a pretty nice cut and then deburred it with a deburring tool from Home Depot that I use for PEX plumbing stuff.

How do the new springs feel? I just did this swap myself and think I felt the difference (tho I had a blown seal before so even just fixing that would likely have improved the suspension, so hard to know for sure).

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast

The masking tape trick worked well enough. Ended up getting pretty even cuts.

The new springs feel real good. I've got a pretty gnarly curb up into my driveway and I used to bottom out if I didn't hit it right. Now it doesn't matter the angle the springs keep my fat ass plenty high off the ground. I'm definitely pleased. Considering trying to save up for a rear suspension from them too.

panamaniac
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 800

Post by panamaniac »

Ohh, didn't know rear suspension upgrade was an option but I guess everything is an option if you have the money, lol. Looks like what, $300? I bought my ride for $500 so it's always hard to justify big upgrades like that but would be awesome to have an even smoother ride!

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 VS 800 Intruder

Post by LSU Tiger »

I have progressives on the back and they are nice.