Getting Over the Throttle Cable Ferrule

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Getting Over the Throttle Cable Ferrule

Post by rocksandhammers »

Over the last month or so while waiting on my new fork springs to come in I took the carbs off and cleaned them up real nice. Reset the float levels (slightly off, but not by too much), put them back together and threw them back on the ride. While putting them back on I noticed something about the throttle cable hook ups. The throttle cable where it attaches to the rear carb has two nuts on the cable that go above and below where the cable screws into the carb body to hold it in place, but the front carb cable only has one. I've noticed it before because of having to dick with the carb sync so much, and I think since the front only has the one nut it doesn't stay locked into place very well, almost like it gets ever so slightly out of sync every couple thousand miles. I was going to put a second nut on it before hooking things back up, but the ferrule on the end of the cable is far too large to get an 8mm(?) sized nut over it. Is there something I'm missing here? Is there any easy way to get it on the cable, or does the ferrule need to be clipped and a new one added on? On my list of jobs this is pretty far down, but I'd like to get it taken care of and keep my carbs synched. I know you're supposed to make adjustments to the throttle sync on the front carb, according to the manual, but should I just really tighten the front down with the one nut and maybe add some blue loctite or something and make adjustments to the rear cable?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Getting Over the Throttle Cable Ferrule

Post by Lechy »

Get a stainless steel nut and and put a saw cut in it enough to slip it over the cable. Not really needed but if that's the way you want to go.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.